Hiring a bather......???????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiring a bather......???????

I have NO idea what one would pay a bather/brusher!! See, I have this friend whom breeds Border collies, teaches agility ect. ect. and she used to groom offer to come in and bath dogs for me if I needed help. We didn't discuss pay expectations or anything, so I thought I'ld ask here what to expect/pay. I'm in Canada, and I realize it will vary from location to location. Do you pay so much per dog?? or a flat rate??

Thanks for any and all input!!

Vicki

I pay my bather between $8-$10 per hour, but they work their butts off! Each bather washes and hand dries 12-15 dogs per day (in 6 hours). I charge back my groomers $3 per dog. Start her off and see how fast she is, then make a decision.

Comment

Originally posted by baddog View Post
      I pay my bather between $8-$10 per hour, but they work their butts off! Each bather washes and hand dries 12-15 dogs per day (in 6 hours). I charge back my groomers $3 per dog. Start her off and see how fast she is, then make a decision.
      How do you do that, "Charge back" your groomers? Employees can't "hire" their own employees (I was just talking to Helly about this), so what is this considered, and how do you do it, and legally to boot? I'm considering hiring a bather, as I am exhausted every day, and I have a girl that is a real hard worker, and she did a nice job when she volunteered (in order to learn) for a few days.

Tammy in Utah
      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I started my bather out with $6 a hour she had no experience at all. I gave her a rise every month, now at $9 a hour. The more she learns more she gets. She's starting to do shave downs. Plus I have paid for the shows that we go to and the seminars that we attent , no out of pocket for her, business pays. Paid vacation too.

Comment

Originally posted by angelpaws View Post
          I started my bather out with $6 a hour she had no experience at all. I gave her a rise every month, now at $9 a hour. The more she learns more she gets. She's starting to do shave downs. Plus I have paid for the shows that we go to and the seminars that we attent , no out of pocket for her, business pays. Paid vacation too.
          You sound like someone I'd want to work for---good job on rewarding people for hard work!

Tammy in Utah
          Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

our bather works on salary..it averages out about 8.50 an hour. groomers split the cost of the bather. hourly was a mistake I've found, as they tend to dragggg out the clock. On salary, the faster they get done, the more per hour they make! works great for me!

Comment

Hairdevil, how do they make more on salary? Do you mean commission, or do they get paid over the salary amount??? I'm confused....what else is new....lol

I pay my bather hourly because she doesn't just bathe, she helps w/the kennel, customer service, cleaning, etc.
              SheilaB from SC

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
                How do you do that, "Charge back" your groomers? Employees can't "hire" their own employees (I was just talking to Helly about this), so what is this considered, and how do you do it, and legally to boot? I'm considering hiring a bather, as I am exhausted every day, and I have a girl that is a real hard worker, and she did a nice job when she volunteered (in order to learn) for a few days.

Tammy in Utah
                They can opt not to use the bathers, then I would pay 55% commission, but they choose to use the bathers it's costs them $3, it's totally legal, and makes it possible to groom more dogs and make more $$$$$$. Imagine if you only had to touch clean dogs all day, you'd fly through your grooms. As a groomer wouldn't you rather pay $30 to have 10 dogs bathed and fluffed for you???

Comment

hairdevil, could you explain a little more how you work that out. I just got a bather and am paying her $9/hr, but it seems so measily to me, especially when everyday I'm jumping up and down that I might get out early, but that's cutting down on her pay in the end, so I feel bad. I was thinking I'd figure out how much she'd make if she did an avg wk of work, and then just guarantee her that much every week. Do you give more during holidays? Do you keep track of the hours? Please expound on your situation. Thanks.
                  Erin
                  No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

I pay my bathers hourly and commission. They get $7 per hour and 25% commission on all dogs they do that don't need to see a groomer (bath, nails, ears) they put a bandana on and tell the receptionist the dog is ready. My bathers average $9.5- $15 per hour this way and they LOVE it.

Comment

I have seen places pay minimum wage to illegal aliens to paying $10 an hr to a bather another $10 to a dryer. And where I worked before they paid 25% commission on short hair baths 35% on long hair, 40% on a trim (feet feathers) 50% on extra brushing, special handling, furminator/carding charges. Most of the time the bathers would make $100 doing 10-13 dogs and they would clean the bathing room. A groomer could ask a bather to do a bath only and split the commision with the bather as long as the total didn't exceed 60% which is what the groomers got. So typicly the bather would get 10% groomer 50% on a bath and cage dry, 15% and 45% on a bath and fluff dry.
                      The bathers had a sheet with a column for the total price, and a column for the % rate a third column for the commission made. They totaled up the commission at the end of the day, everything was clear and easy.
                      So there sheet would look like this
                      Client Breed Service Price Total Comm Total Total Earned

Fifi Lab Bath & $30 $35 25% $7.50 $10
                      Wiggins Carding $5 50% $2.50

Comment

I paid my bathers a % of the groom. All they did was bath and dry. I found it faster if I did whatever de-matting was necessary. If it was a Standard, or something else major, I would supplement the %. If they did a B/B, and all I had to do was nails, I gave them 50%. they also got a portion of tip money, and I treated everyone to pizza or burgers on special days.
                        Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

depending on how busy you are and what type of salon you run..(ie are you appt. only or do you have all dogs coming in at once?)...i worked for both types of salons. and i was paid hourly at the first (all dogs coming at once) and since there were 2 groomers i couldnt extually drag behind on getting the dogs done or take my own sweet time about it...there were too many dogs there! say about 10 to 15 in the morning (around 730-say 1030)...then another batch coming in consistantly until around 12 or 1. but depending on the size and the number of dogs coming in that day..each groomer had at least 10...so that was at least 20...sometimes there were 20 sometimes 25ish to 30ish. depending on the breed of dog and the number of dogs in the family. i felt it was fair to be paid hourly because i also remixed all the shampoo's and cleaned up the bathing room when i was done for the day. now the other shop i worked for paid me per dog...2 for tiny dogs (ie small lil chi's) and 3 for medium (ie shih tzu size...she never relaly paid me 2 dollars), and 4 for large (this could be anything from a 40 lb dog to a 180 plus pound dog!). and 3 for cats. now this sounded fair...but really it wasnt...she was appt only...so there would be times i would be sitting around not doing anything...i also cleaned the bathing room (FOR free i wasnt paid for this), HELPED her with groom dogs, groomed some other dogs for free (yes i know very niave of me correct?)...all for the sake of trying to learn how to groom...the only thing i learned was how to do a B/B dog...and some feet. thats about it. oh yeah...and also how to NOT handle a dog...LOL.
                          id say depending on how busy you are...either hourly, or pay them per dog...but id make it worth there while..if you are charging hourly then pay them hourly and tell them if they want to make a couple extra bucks then they can stay behind and do a little extra cleaning...believe me if i made 9 bucks an hour at the second shop iw ould have beendancing for joy! i also would have gladly scrubbed that bathing room til it shined!
                          i know at the other one i gladly did extra cleaning for more money.
                          id say take into consideration how old your bather is, and what her expenses are...does she NEED this job for money...is this her main job or is it just a little extra cash job...i know i didnt make ANY money at the last shop...i think she was just money hungry. ah well...
                          also the first shop i worked at i made 7 an hour.
                          Hound

Comment

My daughters help with bathing a couple days a week. In the beginning, I paid them per dog, but because I schedule by appointment it didn't seem fair, so now I pay them hourly. Lately I've had a lot of big dog shavedowns (spring is here) so they will blow out the dog while I'm grooming a small one, and that saves me a ton of time. They get a little extra when they do that. In between dogs they do some cleanup or run errands for me. I can never make it to the bank during business hours to deposit income, so that's part of their job. The 20 yr. old is now getting a little more comfortable with cutting toenails, but neither daughter will do anals. They say I'm violating the dog. LOL!!

Comment

When I was bathing, I was paid per dog. It was $3-6 per dog depending on size. I just had to bathe & dry them, but then I was also responsible for cleaning the bathing room & laundry. In the busiest shop, I would make make $18-20/hour, but I was working my tail off.

Comment

Working...
                              X