I Called The Police Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Called The Police Today

To make a wellness check on a client. This lady was re-scheduled to bring in her two cockers this PM, but I had pumbing problems and wanted to give her a heads up that I may not have it fixed in time. Called her 4 times yesterday-last time at 7:30, and a couple times this AM before 9. She is elderly, lives alone, is not driving, and it's not like her to not be home. Turns out, she is in the hospital-at least she was not lying hurt at home which I feared. Just wanted to make sure she was OK. Anyone else ever do this?
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

No I haven't ever had to..but I would make the call. Good for you for making the right decision.

Comment

Yes, the ol guy was a 2 weeker and no show no call, called all his favs and they were scared also, he forgot to mention he was going to Mississippi! 95 at the time and could have wrung his neck!
      ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Yes, this has happened to me a few times, in both instances I ended up with the dogs! One for a while and the other one in her will. I guess its part of our profession, we know our people and pets and care. Thinking your client and wishing the best.

Comment

Yep had a very similar situation with an elderly lady who lives alone. I called several times until 9pm and then called the police for a wellness check. By the time they got there she was home and had been with a relative but she normally isn't out after dark. I think she was pleased that I was worried but I felt paranoid at the time. I'd do it again if I thought I needed to.
          ~*~Robin~*~
          "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Comment

Originally posted by caninecrazy View Post
            Yes, this has happened to me a few times, in both instances I ended up with the dogs! One for a while and the other one in her will. I guess its part of our profession, we know our people and pets and care. Thinking your client and wishing the best.
            did you know she was leaving you the dog? Can people do that without your knowledge? I have about 20 steady pet sitting clients, the owners call me Auntie Julia, I Love those dogs but now i'm terrified I'll be willed a dog! LOL that last thing I need is another dog and there's no way I could rehome one of those dogs to some stranger.

Comment

That everyone should care and be that tuned into their clients and friends, Ms. Karla. Good job.
              Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

yes, unfortunately she left in a body bag.............................loved this old lady !

Comment

Originally posted by baddog View Post
                  yes, unfortunately she left in a body bag.............................loved this old lady !
                  Wow that is so sad baddog. Must have broke your heart when you found out. What happened with this lady's dog(s)"?

I haven't called the police, but I did once call the son of an elderly lady who missed an appt and I couldn't reach her. Turnd out that she was home enjoying a surprise 85 bday party that her "card ladies" threw for her and between the excitement and fermented party punch she forgot about Heidi's appt. Her son thought it was hysterical that his mama had a buzz on for the first time in his memory.....lol.... I was glad I made the call so he didn't miss that.

Big pat on the back for all of you groomers who have called for a home checks, even if it turned out to be nothing more than a forgotten lunch date w/a great niece or a client gettting tipsy w/her lady friends.
                  SheilaB from SC

Comment

Yes

I called for an old lady client that never missed her appt. I had called and called and the phone was busy for hours. She was in her 80's and when the cops arrived she was fine, just forgot! Her BOYFRIEND was on the computer all day long! She did appreciate my concern and never missed again...

Comment

Originally posted by flemishr2cool View Post
                      did you know she was leaving you the dog? Can people do that without your knowledge?
                      Yes they can. It happened to me. TWICE. Once my dads dogs (dont get me started as I JUST placed the last ojne of them that can be placed and its been over 2 years!) and once a client. The dog (whom I ADORED) was at my house for 3 weeks until she died. She was 18 years old herself. Died in her sleep.
                      <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I called the cops once in 25 years. A client had left the dog for grooming and never came back I was afraid he had skipped town as he had talked about moving. Got a freind of mine to take the dog for boarding. Called up one of my client cops to go check his house out, turned out he was on a bender and forgot and was mad I called the cops. His son came down to pay for the groom and 3 days of baording(caiuse they couldnt go get the dog til the third day(makes no sense)) Well the dog ended up being there for a week and then they finally came to get the dog cause my friend was calling them 10 times a day and warned them she was about to file abandonment with the county(they got the dog the same day) We both felt sorry for the dog.

Comment

Working...
                        X