Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bummer

I cut a pad.

Nice new sharp long curved scissors. Thankfully the owners are a nurse and an EMT. I offered to pay vet bill if they decided to take it but they said that if they can't handle a small cut on a small dog, they need to find another line of work. But that didn't make me feel any better. Bummer.

Pass the Jack......and a pity party hat.

Awwww, buck up little soldier. Even the best of groomers with the biggest of hearts occasionally render a little slip of the shears.
    Hopefully, there was not a lot of blood, tears, or drama, and it sounds like the parents are realistic, understanding and very capable people.
    The best advice I can offer is to put this behind you as "just one of those things" and start fresh tomorrow. Give the whole thing another chance, and don't hold this against yourself. It was nothing you did.

Hope Jedd feels better too, after he gets over his "Jack-and-the-Hat".
    [Sibes slinking off w/ a lil grin on her face...]

Shake it off Jedd. Everyone knows where your heart is, and as understandably upsetting as it is, it's unlikely this will happen again for a long, long, time.
    Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Unfortunately, it happens! The worse cut I've done yet was with my new pair of Kenchii flipper thinners. Got the ears bad enough to need a stitch. It was just one, but the poor doggie is a sweet, sweet regular and she didn't even move, it was all me Don't beat yourself up!
      Bulldogs are adorable, with faces like toads that have been sat on.

Comment

I hate using new sharp scissors. Always seems like I cut something a lot more often.
        Sorry this happened to ya. But I like the reply of your clients!
        "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
        Diane

Comment

It happens to most of us someday, but no it doesn't feel good to hurt a pet. Have a mikes and cry in your beer. You'll nor feel better,.
          ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

I know this is old hat Jedd, but you are working with sharpe instruments on live moving animals, sorry to say, but accidents happen even to the most experienced and best of us. You are a professional who does his best and that is all you can do. That is why they call it an "accident" be professional, take responsibility, and move on. That is in all reality what you can do. Unless, someone out there has a magic wand that fixes all cuts and boo boos I have'nt been told about, I for one, could use there help, cause on occassion we have boo boos in our shop too.
            Just kidding, sorry, this to shall pass. It sucks, ummmmmm, it will get better.
            O.K we've reached the end of my sage advice (I know, thank goodness) bye bye.

Comment

Suck it up, candy behind! Git back up on the horse & groom.
              "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
              People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Ug, that first week or so after I get my shears sharpened I'm on edge making sure I don't cut dogs. I get so accustomed to them being dull that when they come back from the sharpener I have to really watch every snip.

But don't worry, we've all done it. It happens to the best of us. Most owners are understanding. When you have sharp equipment and a moving target it's bound to happen from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart-n-Pretty View Post

I think Jack is what the little candy butt planned on sucking up and if he sucks down too much he might fall off of that horse and get a boo boo himself......lol

Just kidding Jedd!!!!! That was my pitiful effort at levity. We have all cut a pad or ear or tuck up and some time or other. IF we are empathetic groomers it will bother us much more than it bothered the dog. Sounds like you are a good groomer since this freaked you so badly.

Put it in a different perspective. If you put that exact same cut on yourself you would prob slap a band aid or some super glue on it and never think twice about it except when you had to cuss a bit because you ran over the spot w/a brush.....lol

Glad the owners didn't freak on you.
                  SheilaB from SC

Comment

Originally posted by Smart-n-Pretty View Post
                    LOL,, SNP,,,,
                    I know the feeling Jedd, I nicked the lip of a very old blind Shih right in front of the dad,, they have been monthly regululars,, just knew that would be my last groom, seeing as how much they loved that old dog, thought they must hate me, and would never have me back. Dad is a medical tech, said it was no biggie,, and I have the dog on my schedule today!

Comment

We all hate it but it happens! And pads are the worst since there really isn't anything to be done and they bleed like heck for a bit! Thankfully you had some understanding owners!

I keep a pair of less than perfectly sharpened scissors around to use on puppies and wiggly dogs, because yes, when your greatest pair of shears are freshly sharpened they go through anything and you don't get that split second warning where you feel something in the way!

That said, I once chunked a pad on a cocker mix - large just under 1/2" triangle/diamond shape wound, shallow, but dangit! The vet I worked for DID stitch it, mostly to just stop the bleeding, said the stitches would not hold for more than a day or so. Luckily, the owner was an OLD insurance salesman who totally totally understood that accidents happen and was so cool about it!

Comment

Thanks guys,
                        I'm feeling much better today. And no bourbon was harmed in any way.

But I still have a hard time taking money from someone when something like that happens. Although I did just because of some advice from this board that I've read in other's situations. Not bad advice mind you, and I understand the meaning and logic behind it. So I'm not trying to argue that point. But to me, I picture taking my son to a barber, the barber finishes cutting his hair then accidentally gouges my son's neck with his shears but then still charges me full price and says "Gee, I hope the bleeding stops" as we leave. That ain't gonna happen. And I certainly wouldn't pay the barber. So why do we feel like we can still charge for a groom after something like that? Maybe that's just me being new to all of this. But I don't think I'll do that anymore. No matter how small the cut is.

Fortunately, the man's wife wasn't satisfied with how long the husband told me to leave the dog's hair and so he called me today to see if he could pay me again to groom the dog. And of course I did without charging him anything. The foot is fine, and I feel better. And now they are doubly pleased with my service and will spread the word. (hopefully the word 'cut' and 'pad' never get spread with it. lol)

Oh, and just to top it off, the guy said that the last groomer nicked the dog's ear. Poor dog. lol.

Comment

I once cut a pad so bad the dog had to be sedated and stitches put in. It's one of the few times I actually have cried at work. Thankfully I work at a vet clinic and it all got taken care of right away. I must have looked awful because the vet kept telling me that it would be all right and she is surprised it doesn't happen more often and all the techs came and patted me on the back. That was well over a year ago and I still groom the dog (she was in this last week).

Nothing ruins my day worse than a doggie injury. It sucks but it happens.
                          "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Originally posted by Jedd View Post
                            Thanks guys,
                            I'm feeling much better today. And no bourbon was harmed in any way.

But I still have a hard time taking money from someone when something like that happens. Although I did just because of some advice from this board that I've read in other's situations. Not bad advice mind you, and I understand the meaning and logic behind it. So I'm not trying to argue that point. But to me, I picture taking my son to a barber, the barber finishes cutting his hair then accidentally gouges my son's neck with his shears but then still charges me full price and says "Gee, I hope the bleeding stops" as we leave. That ain't gonna happen. And I certainly wouldn't pay the barber. So why do we feel like we can still charge for a groom after something like that? Maybe that's just me being new to all of this. But I don't think I'll do that anymore. No matter how small the cut is.

I understand how you feel, and it was rough for me to charge after an incident at first (and where I work now, convincing my boss not to give discounts for little mishaps...another story! not that they happen that often.)

I think the key is to a) do what you feel comfortable doing BUT b) keep in mind if it doesn't require a vet visit don't feel bad about charging. An example, if it was one of my weekly dogs I may not charge for a bath the week after it's groomed, just a good gesture. (gee, weekly client. If it's a dog I see twice a year or so - charge!) Dogs are not people, and they move unexpectedly. It IS amazing most of us don't do more damage! And there's hair everywhere, sometimes it's matted, and they move and bite. Now I know kids can be wiggly, but generally they aren't matted/covered in hair and biting (hopefully

Comment

Working...
                            X