Lisa, you need to come slap me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lisa, you need to come slap me!

I have worked so hard to break a bad habit I had after Lisa Leady, um, pointed it out to me LOL. I used to use my shears all the time to "comb up" the fur I was working on instead of grabbing my comb like I should. So at my first weekend with Lisa class I took 2 years ago she explained to me why it was not a good technique to use. So I thought I had broken that habit. Tonight I am grooming away, and as if my hand had a mind of it's own I see myself "comb up" with my shears! I can't believe I even did it, I haven't done it in at least 2 years now. Amazing how bad habits can sneak back in.
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

I still catch myself using my fingers occasionally. Sigh. And I STILL can't scissor without my hand bouncing a bit.

Comment

HAHAHAHAA Mylady!!! At least you caught yourself falling into an old routine! Now where did I put that ruler to slap your hand with?????

Comment

LOL... I can admit that I have done it myself. My excuse? well after so many years of bad habits it is not easy to break some. I recall about 7 years ago or so, I called Lisa when she was still teaching, asked for a private lesson so I brought in my rescued St. Poodle. I found myself in 'rut' of sorts... I had been unhappy with some of my dogs even though my clients were happy.. I was not. She said the same thing to me and although I knew it was wrong (I had been taught better) I had picked up the habit from another groomer I worked with somewhere along the way.

HEY ! Maybe we should start a support group for this... we could arrange to meet in the chat room or something...LOL

Comment

That's a funny post! Could you share why Lisa said this is a poor technique?
          Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
          www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

*head hanging down* i sorta do the same thing LOL! and im not even a seasoned groomer yet! im still in training!!!!
            LOL
            i will try to stop....no i will not try to stop i WILL stop!
            Hound

Comment

Originally posted by windywaycavaliers View Post
              That's a funny post! Could you share why Lisa said this is a poor technique?
              good question.... because I always do it myself too..

Comment

If you are taking your shears and just pushing your hair up, that is all you are doing by using a comb you are lifting your hair into place not pushing it into the rest of your coat.
                To those of you that comb with your fingers, HAHAHA another excuse to slap hands..... your hands have oils on them and when you put your fingers all over your clean coat you are depositing your oils on the dog.

Comment

Yeah i have that habit when I get in a hurry and the trim never looks right..... ggrrrr lol

Comment

I thought of you today while I was picking at hairs with my fingers and then scissoring them, lol. Was thinking Lisa might cut those fingers off if she could, lol.
                    I was doing a small maltese who of course hated the clippers and since I did not feel good, I was out of patience for the thinners and taking my time, so I just whacked away with my straights and fluffed the hair on the inside with my fingers to make sure Igot it all.

Comment

Working...
                    X