Has anyone had to deal with dumb people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone had to deal with dumb people

that think its ok to startle a groomer when they are scissoring a dog’s face?

I work in a little room off to the side in the entrance of the kennel. There is a sign on the front door telling people to ring the bell for service. They come inside while I am in the grooming room working with dryers, fans going and they poke their heads in and startle me when I have sharp instruments in my hand. I have a door on the grooming room and I want to put a sign on it but I am not sure how to tactfully tell the dumb [email protected]#&!* to not do this. All they have to do is ring the bell and someone from the kennel will come help them.

Is there maybe a door you can keep locked so they aren't able to come in and surprise you? I swear, there are SO many things I wish the customers knew when they first walk in the door, but they will only read so many signs!! There was another thread here similar to this, but a good suggestion was to find one of those sensors for the door and instead of a bell going off, a light. Something you can see rather than try and hear over all the noise.

Comment

tie a skunk to the door knob

lol! Seriously we had a similar issue and put up a do not enter/ employees only sign and the dumb a$$es still open the door or will knock like they're breaking down the door. so If you find an effective solution I would love to know. Maybe installing a lock? dont know if that would be feasable or not?

Comment

Install a door or gate that you can lock from the inside , only fellow employees should be able to open it for saftey, the light thing may be good, but you can go to harbour freight and get a driveway buzzer that should alert you to encroaching stupidity. I kind of would like a paint can over the doorway approach, not good for business, but ooooooo what sweet revenge.
        ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

I do understand, I have a ring bell for service sign up for when I'm in the back bathing, So many people will walk on through to the backroom and scare the you know what out of me. I work by myself most days and try to make sure that I'm only in the back when I know people aren't suppose to be coming in. One of these days I'm going to turn and spray someone with the hose. LOL
          "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt,
          and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck
          www.wagmoresalon.com

Comment

Tie a frickin, yappin, super-hyper-vigilant, spastic Corgi named "Annie" outside. They'll never catch you off guard again. I promise.

I work from the sunroom at the back of my house, and have the same kind of problem, but the folks can't really help it...it's just like BAM, they are in full view of the dog I sam working on...no warning.

So I tried a sign on my gate, and the next thing you know, folks are creeping up really sllllllooooowwwwllllyyyy, and the dog on the table is growling and I think robbers are slinking around the place,...so the sign didn't work so swell either.

The only thing that has worked for me has been the little camera thingie (a nursery monitor type)...so I can see the people from the second they pull into the driveway, finish their cell phone call, sip their coffee, check their face in the mirror, blow their nose, throw the yucky Kleenex out the window, take their checkbook out of their purse and put it in the glove box (so they can tell me..."oh, it seems I've forgotten my checkbook", then I can tell them "you should check your glovebox"), and finally...get out of the vehicle to come get their dog.

I have plenty of time to put the dog up before they come in.

Or...you could just put a BOLD note on the door that says DO NOT DISTURB OUR GROOMER, RING BELL AND WE WILL BE RIGHT WITH YOU.
            Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

I have a driveway monitor that buzzes when someone drives past it and in my bathing room I also have a light that flashes if I'm HVing and don't hear the buzz. STILL, I somehow manage to miss the sound or not notice the light flash and someone sneaks up on me from time to time. I would swear sometimes that it just didn't go off. But 97% of the time it works. So I would say, start with a monitor. It can be in the driveway or even the walkway before they get to your door.
              Last edited by blue; 04-07-10, 09:10 PM.
              The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit. ~Nelson Henderson

Comment

Omg! I have this problem and it's with the MANAGER of the hospital where I work! I have a LOT of cage banks. I mean, waaaayyy more then I use in a day. So they use one to store a few random office supplies. Well, he has a bad habit of just slamming into the salon without getting my attention through the window in the door or checking to see what I'm doing. He did it once and it caused me to poke a dog in the side of the head (no injury, thankfully) and the dog jumped back and almost threw itself off the table! I had a very stern talk with him but he STILL does it. Finally I told him that if an injury resulted from his actions, it was his full responsibility. No one else at the hospital does this after the first time I talked to them about it. They all stand outside of the window in the door and wait until they've gotten my attention.

Comment

Reminds me of a sign a friend of mine hung on her front door:

"I Work Nights and Sleep Days -
                  If You Wake Me Up and There Isn't An Emergency,
                  There WILL BE By The Time I Get Through With You!"

Comment

I had a man knock on my door yesterday. I opened the window and gave him a card.

What really gets me is they rarely even call. I think he expected a much lower quote. I had a sign once saying please do not disturb but it doesn't stick with those suction cups all that well. I am not sure I know where it is and it is creased in the middle now, making it harder to stick on the window. People don't think, or read and they think it doesn't apply to them. I'd like for them to be sprayed with water right in the face when they do that! LOL I always lock the door or they would open it like it was a grooming shop. I also have owners who forgot to tell me something and do the same thing.

I'd Love To Have A Solution To This Too.

Comment

My own DH does this to me as we have a small window in the bathroom that opens up to my shop and he is forever opening it to ask me something and startles me and my dog, I have told him over and over...if you open that window I will come in there and harm U!!!! He can come through the door as I can see him before hand but he is too lazy to come down 3 steps!!! GGGRRRrrrr

Comment

borrow my pit bull. she greets everyone very excitedly. Everyone thinks she will knock them over and they never passed the gate of where I worked. She might lick them to death but they dont know that lol.

Comment

OMG I had the same thing happen to me !!!!ONCE with the shop owner I had this baby poodle that had never been groomed and I was just getting ready to clip her face after 15 minutes of chasing her around the table pulling her back to me letting her smell the clippers I streched her cheeck back and I was giving her a second to settle down and he pokes his head in and yelled hey are you alright in there hows it going?
                          ugh another 20 minites of calming the hyper puppy down.
                          then last week I was sitting on the floor force drying a husky and a mom walked in from the front.we are a free style daycare and I have dogs all over playing thankfully she was a regular and knew all the dogs so they didnt bark at her .but if I strange MAN came in Im sure he would have been eaten.I try to keep my larger more intimidating looking dogs where people can SEE them so as not to feel too comfy comiming into the back.nothing like having a large rottie sneak up on ya.

Comment

I worked at a vet for a short while last summer.. my "grooming area" was a table in the food room. this was positioned in the center of the building. Reception came in one door to get food, kennel help had to walk thru door #2 to go anywhere else in the building, including to bring dogs in and out of check in. Door #3 went to the tech area.. It was common to have a dog still and focus when someone would walk thru with 2 crazy labs or something. I spoke up till I was blue in the face..and I am a very forward person.. I even took a video one day and counted 13 people walk into that room in a 5 min span.. he said he couldnt afford to make me my own space.. I did.. thats when my newest shop was born

Comment

i have had the same problem with the people that work here..i am in my own grooming room with the door CLOSED, and obviously these people were never taught what a closed door means..they come walking in and the dog freaks out...and they are just like "oooh poor puppy" it drives me crazy.

Comment

Working...
                              X