33 weeks! How long did you last?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 33 weeks! How long did you last?

I'm currently at 33 weeks (yikes!) and still working full time, 8-12 hour days (stay til we're done). I'm just curious for those of you who groomed while pregnant, how long did you last? Did you take off the last week or so before due date or did your water break while grooming a doodle?

Just curious to hear the varied responses/stories about your experience. Then after, how long before you went back to work... Thank God for those of you who helped me build my shampooer as I don't know how I'd get through the day bending over dogs with a belly stickin' so far out!! The grooming table is bad enough. I'm trying to sit while grooming, but I'm a moving groomer (around the table a lot) and have actually fallen off the chair onto the ground trying to get a good angle. Luckily I was just fine.. a little embarrassed.

Jessica

I worked until my first son was 2 weeks late. I just had the receptionist continue to book appointments and she told the clients that I may need to reschedule or move them to a different groomer. It worked for me! I was back to work when he was 3 weeks old!

Congrats and Good Luck!

Comment

I worked the day before i went into labor with both my boys. With my first son i was going to go back to work at 4 weeks but he was diagnosed with pyloric stenosis so i took an xtra week off for his surgery and healing. With my second son i went back at 4 weeks. Was still a little too early but gotta get back and make some money. When i was 8mths prego with my first i was grooming a 80lbs golden, that I have been doing for years, when he decided to leap off the table right on to me! So, just to keep you, your baby, and the pets safe dont do big dogs. Congrats and dont do more than you can handle!

Comment

I groomed up to the day they were born on both of mine. I was back to work 3 weeks later, but I am home based so it worked for me. I had a really easy pregnancy with both and had no complications with birth. It all depends on you and how you are feeling. All my clients were understanding and supportive. Now my youngest is 5. )
        Enjoy your pregnancy while you can. It goes way too fast and they grow way too fast.
        Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucylove View Post
          I'm currently at 33 weeks (yikes!) and still working full time, 8-12 hour days (stay til we're done). I'm just curious for those of you who groomed while pregnant, how long did you last? Did you take off the last week or so before due date or did your water break while grooming a doodle?
          I literally was in labor both times I was prego--at the grooming table, had to finish my dogs, and drive home! My water did not break with either pregnancy, but I left work in a lot of pain both times! I wouldn't recommend ANYONE work themselves harder than what feels healthy, and comfortable--and everyone is different. Some of us are strong and fit and can do well working, others need to hang it up early--the important thing is just to listen to your body, it'll tell you if you need a rest. Now,,GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!
          Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
          www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

I made it all the way

I groomed until the day I delivered...well except the actual day I delivered I wasn't feeling too hot(gee I wonder why!?) soo that day I worked up front organizing(nesting LOL) and let my intern do all the grooms. I went home at lunch time to rest and realized when I laid down I was having gobs of contractions...Drove 45 minutes to hospital and had my second daughter within 15 minutes of arriving to the hospital!!! The people at my work thought I was joking when I called them within minutes of lunch break being over to tell them I actually delivered

I think I took 6 weeks...but I would sneak in from time to time to see how things were gong. And the first few weeks back I only had booked small dogs and dogs on my maintenance program so i knew there wouldn't be any surprises in the grooms. I also booked really short days the first week or so.

Soo be sure not to compare your self to all of us...all of our bodies are different. and you want to make the best choices for you and your new little one!! Congrats.:-) so are you having a boy? girl? or is it a surprise?

Comment

I am 37 1/2 weeks pregnant

and I was pulled out at 32 weeks since my first son came early and they wanted to make sure I made it to a safe point this time. I would probably still be working if that wasn't the case and I would have cut what I would usually do in half or less. I found it easier to do big dogs, if they were cooperative, than little dogs since I didn't have to lift them. Small dogs can be pretty hefty. I would recommend talking to your doctor and telling them what your profession is and maybe have them start doing non stress tests, weekly visits and a protein test to make sure you are not having signs of pre-term labor. I was not at high risk with my first child and my water broke at 32 weeks and he was in the nicu for 3 weeks. I feel it was partially due to my profession. Make sure you sit a lot and do what is best for you and your baby, not for the client.

Comment

I'm currently at 37 and still going, just not as fast as I used to I still haven't figured out if I'm just going to work until she gets here or stop a week before hand.

Comment

I worked all the way up and back to work in a week- 2 weeks. pace yourself.. you'll do fine. just really use that rest time in between.

I am glad to see I am not the only one who was working on a dog when labor started.... and finished the dog LOL

Comment

With my first I took off 2 weeks before her due date because my boss didn't want to have to reschedule a whole bunch of people. I was back to work 4 weeks after she was born, but I went to one day a week. With my son I had pre-eclampsia (which I had with my daughter as well but it wasn't discovered until a few days before my due date) so I was pulled out of work about a month and a half before I was due and then ended up having a C-Section because the little 10 lb 5 oz boy was breech and couldn't turn.
                    But up until then I was working long hours. Heck, we had a cat get loose and I'm 8 months pregnant crawling on the floor looking for him. We found the cat, he had somehow figured out how to open his crate door! He was inside the frame of the tub. Minor heart attack I had that day.
                    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

I groomed til delivery but stopped taking large dogs at 7m. With my last child, I had an emergency C-section on Nov.24 and was back grooming on Dec.1st because of the Christmas rush and a new business. Most of those dogs went home with a new finishing spray...my tears.
                      "The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind"-Theodorus Gaza

Comment

My first I was "let go" from my job at 4 months

with my youngest I was working until 2 weeks prior to delivery with having an appointment to be induced before the due duate. It didn't work and ended up having another C-section.
                        Was back to work when she was just 5 weeks and she has health issues that we are still dealing with.
                        ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
                        Apparently common sense isn't all that common
                        *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

I feel like the only person on the planet who couldn't work until they delivered. I started with some health issues at around 30 weeks and was put on bed rest. I had such severe swelling and pain with it that I couldn't walk but a few feet. I would crawl on the floor to go to the bathroom or get something to eat. Than after I delivered, I got really sick and it was 12 weeks before I went back to work and I struggled to work 4 days a week. It took me a solid year to recover and get the resulting health issues under control. Listen to your body (and/or your Doc). You'll know if/when you need to stop early.

Linda

Comment

I stopped doing big dogs at about 7 months. Sat down as much as I could and worked until 39 weeks. Went back to work after 4 weeks. At that time I had my own shop so I could take baby with me.

Comment

I was suppose to take off two weeks before my son was born. My last day was a Friday and I went in labor that night and he was born on Saturday. I went back to work 2 weeks later. I worked 3 days a week for a while and than back to 4 days a week. My ankles got really swollen all of a sudden that is why I wanted 2 weeks off. So I had no down time.

Comment

Working...
                              X