Should I be insulted? LOL!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I be insulted? LOL!!

First off I have to say, we all eventually get that one person who is impossible to please. I've had 3 in the 11 years I've been grooming. One I don't have to deal with anymore because I no longer groom large dogs. The second..... she still comes every 8 weeks (was 6 weeks until I cranked her price up hoping she would get mad and go elsewhere) and she's a slight PITA but I've learned to tone her out. I think she's just going through menopause or something anyway. And then there's the third.

Back up about 3 - 4 years. I groomed a Westie probably 5 or 6 times. Maybe a few more... can't really remember. The woman always seemed happy upon pickup, always tipped. But every time she would stop in to make her next appointment (she never called) she would tell me what I did "wrong" the last time. She didn't act upset about it, just wanted to inform me, I guess. At the time it really bothered me because I gave it my all but I just couldn't please that woman no matter how hard I tried. His head was too short... or too long.... or his legs were too short, or too long. It was always something. And then one day she just stopped coming altogether.

I didn't think much of it. I figured she must have got tired of giving me chances and by that time I was tired of trying. I may not be the BEST Westie groomer around, but I groom a few on a regular basis and they have no complaints so I must be doing something right. I think. lol

But the woman had also told me at her last visit that she had just been diagnosed with cancer, so I also thought there was a possibility that things had not turned out so well for her and THAT was the reason she had never returned. Probably should have called and checked on her, but I honestly just figured she thought I sucked at grooming her dog so she found somebody else.

Fast forward to today. A woman walks into my shop and I ask her if I can help her with anything. She aks me...... ready for this?

"Have you learned how to groom Westies yet?"

A few seconds of silence as I'm trying to comprehend what she just asked me, and then I replied, "Yes... I know how to groom a Westie". She then tells me she needs to get her Westie in as soon as possible as she has been very sick and he hasn't been groomed in 8 months. **gulp** Then she tells me that I have groomed him before, and that's when I realized "who" the woman was. It's been at least 3 years, and she looks quite different now - understandable since she has been so ill.

Anywho - I don't have any openings for 5 weeks right now and she said he can't wait that long. I couldn't help but be a little bit relieved, since I groom Westies the same now as I did 3 years ago so she probably wouldn't be happy anyway. Funny thing is, 3 years ago that question would have really bothered me and I would have probably spent the rest of the day with some seriously low self esteem. Instead, I laughed it off. Is that wrong?

No you were not wrong. i had a cocker client years ago that would do the same thing to me. Beat my self up trying to please her. Nothing was ever right. She had a re-do one time. I started tuning her out and quit busting my a** on the dog. She finally went somewhere else for a few trims. Came back to me crying about the way the dog had been groomed. Had a nice hefty price increase on her. Was I wrong?

Comment

omg what a sweet lady ...............not . and having cancer does not give her a ticket to be rude, she was probably a "sweetheart "before she was sick.Im glad you didnt let it bother you.I would have told her I cant groom a westie .

Comment

I had a lady bring me a booklet on how to groom a Westie. I really was insulted, but she complained about everything just like your lady did. I didn't even open the book, but she was so happy with how her Westie turned out that time. I groomed her the same as I always did. The lady got sick and I haven't seen her in awhile and while I am not happy she is sick I AM happy I don't have to deal with her anymore.
        "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Response..."Never could master those little white terriers. I just gave up and shave all of them down now. My clients understand".

Or how about..."Nope, is there anything else I can help you with?".

Yes..I'd be laughing if I were you,...I am!
          Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

not a bit wrong with that!

Comment

Originally posted by 4Sibes View Post
              Response..."Never could master those little white terriers. I just gave up and shave all of them down now. My clients understand".
              hee hee
              "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Response: "Clean face, clean feet, RIGHT?"
                "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Honestly, if you think you've gotten better at them I'd give it a go and see what happens - charge her high end for it, but heck, I've you've learned anything new about grooming westies try it! It could be fun and you're not out anything really.

Comment

After I figured out who it was I probably wouldn't have offered her any appointment time, even if it was 5 weeks in the future. You should never leave the door open for soul sapping jerks to walk into (or back into) your life.
                    I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
                    -Michelangelo

Comment

As to westies.. I cant help you... I love them, we actually own 2 and I have customers drive (some do) for 45 minutes to come to me for my terriers ! As to the PITA clients... LOL... Yea, I have had my fair share.
                      my favorite one... redneck girl marries well... now she has her hair, nails & everything else done, drives a BMW has a cocker... every time she came in she actually told me the longer her hair was the easier it was to comb out & it didnt tangle. She wanted the following pattern... (because dont you all know - this is how ALL cockers SHOULD look, not that "stupid" way most do it..LOL)

# 4 on the back with a hula skirt line showing, leave skirt close to ground level, shave legs with a #1 snap on, ears left very very long, clean head BUT on face... shave a schnauzer clean face leaving this very long beard AND save the eye lashes.. OH best part ! DO NOT LEAVE ANY SKIRT BETWEEN FRONT LEGS & CLEAN HER UP IN BACK.

SO... this dog looked like it had a tunnel from front to back, was always matted, she always had to have me shave 'just a little more' on the face...

thank god she has gone elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by RPS View Post
                        As to westies.. I cant help you... I love them, we actually own 2 and I have customers drive (some do) for 45 minutes to come to me for my terriers ! As to the PITA clients... LOL... Yea, I have had my fair share.
                        my favorite one... redneck girl marries well... now she has her hair, nails & everything else done, drives a BMW has a cocker... every time she came in she actually told me the longer her hair ...

SO... this dog looked like it had a tunnel from front to back, was always matted, she always had to have me shave 'just a little more' on the face...

thank god she has gone elsewhere.
                        Geez, I would have taken a picture just to remember that, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by ferretlov View Post
                          omg what a sweet lady ...............not . and having cancer does not give her a ticket to be rude .
                          It also does not move you to my emergency grooming list...I had a call yesterday, a woman referred from one of my best customers. She was not rude, just had unrealistic expectations. She has a poodle. Mind you, a poodle, a dog that SOMEONE is grooming regularly. She wants me to get her dog in next week as she has company coming in from out of town. I told her I had no openings but I would call if I had any cancellations. Then she launches into a very sad story about how her husband has a terminal illness and she has a chronic illness. But she has a regular groomer, one who obviously is not willing to accomodate her although no doubt they are aware of her personal situation since she is willing to tell it to a perfect stranger like me. Sorry don't mean to be or sound mean, but I just feel like sometimes people need to think through their business relationships before they expect another business person to respond to their current situation.

Comment

People are so funny. I have one lady that does the same thing.. tips well, acts happy, tells her pup how cute he is, then when she comes in (always making sure I'm the groomer that does her poodle that day, she has her choice of 5 of us, if I was really that bad, I imagine she'd try someone else) she always complains about something she didn't like last time... It's like.. How long have you been saving that up? But nope... always has to make sure I'm the one who grooms him. LOL

I think they just want to complain... cause that's what they are used to!

Jessie.

Comment

Ah Westie's, Westie's Westie's, they look like a Beagle right? LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X