Have you ever heard this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever heard this?

I had a client in the other day, I groom her dog regularly who really thinks that places where dogs have to stay for four hours (or more) are keeping the dogs this long because they are sedating them - without owner permission and without a vet. I would think personally, and from reading things on this board that most groomers would never give sedation without working for a vet and without talking the the owner about it first.

With this client I just said "really?" nodded and went on about business, I'm an in and out shop so no worries that I'll keep a dog over an hour or so, but have any of you heard this? Do you think it happens?

I seriously doubt that would happen anywhere unless she was going to a vet and having her dog sedated and it is most likely her theory of why she has to leave her dog so long.

Most shop owners certainly don't go out of their way to explain how their grooming process works if an owner doesn't ask so they just imagine why it takes four hours.

The new customer I just got called me to do housecall because she didn't like leaving her dog for hours and she was always shaking when she got home. I explained to her that a lot of shops/salons require the groomer have 5-6 dogs come in at one time and this results in longer wating times per pet.

Comment

I keep dogs as long as I need to some may be in and out in less than 2 hrs but there are days I may have them all day .It all depends on scheduling. Many years ago that may have been an issue but law now require a vet to administer any type of sedative with approval of the pets owners, be it verbal or in writing . I pitty any Groomer administering any type of sedative to a clients pet as it would not be a minor offense with or without client approval.

Comment

Never heaed that one, and doubt it is true anywhere.

I think she confused the that with vets keep dogs at least four or more hours after a neuter or spay. Because THEY are sedated for the surgery.

Comment

Sometimes...other grooming shops tell these 'stories' to bash competition. I used to work in a city that had 5 different shops and 1 shop told the most ridiculous lies about all of the other shops. Sedatives, tranquilizers used, curtains on the windows so you couldnt see dogs being beat, flea infestations, incompetent groomers..oh yeah, they would tell every client they had this is what the other shops were doing. Pretty trashy.
          So that comment could very well have come from another groomer/shop, or as someone else said its her way of getting out of leaving her dog for an extended time, lol.

Comment

I doubt it really happens.its just one of those wives tales.

Comment

I am not a fast groomer and I never will be. So I keep dogs that long quite frequently. I like it because they seem to much more mellow. Well, I should say, I am more mellow and so the dogs are. I have groomed one dog that was sedated and it was the most nerve wracking experience (I couldn't tell if it was breathing). I work at a vet clinic and the sedation was administered by a vet and they had a tech come and monitor and take the dogs temp every couple of minutes. I would NEVER give a dog something that alters it's functioning. Heck, I won't even give the dogs treats.

I am sure in all the thousands of groomers out there that there are some that might give the dog something. But I do not believe it is as common as some clients think.
              "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

That's kinda funny, we had a new customer last week that as she was walking out the door asked if we were going to 'medicate' her dog to make her sleepy. We of course assured her that it would be illegal for us to do that. Seemed like an odd question, but i guess people just imagine what goes on. I know when I was little I thought the groomer was a place my GM's dog went to get a bow in her hair!

Comment

There was a time, 20 to 30 years ago, when I was starting out, that some of the vets (primarily large animal) in my area, handed out Acepromazine like M&M's.
                  No question that some dogs were given "chill pills', and the establishments didn't even care if an owner picked up a slightly "drunk" appearing dog.

So much had changed for the better, I don't even see the validity in having extended conversations about "drugging' with my clients.
                  I explain the way it is now, the way it might have been "back then", and if they don't trust me and the way I operate...than I'm not the groomer for them. Period.

Any groomer (without the supervision and oversight by a veterinarian, of course) giving ANYTHING (orally, injection, inhaled, whatever!) with the intention of altering a dog's physical or mental reaction to grooming...is out of their mind and willing to lose everything. It's that simple IMO, and I have not personally known a groomer that does that in the past 20 years.

Besides...that's SO "old school".
                  Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

I've had people ask me before asking anything else if I sedate dogs. They're convinced their dogs have been sedated at other groomers cause they came home so tired. Well....yeah. That happens! It can be a mentally and sometimes physically (if they're fighters) exhausting day for some dogs. So I make sure I tell them that, just in case their dogs go home exhausted again....they can't blame me for shootin them up.

Comment

Nowadays I would have to say the owner is just being paranoid. I agree with Sibes though; not too long ago I saw a post on a dog forum (forum had nothing to do with grooming) where someone asked about a problem getting their dog groomed, and an old school groomer openely admitted to passing out Ace or some other vet drug to client dogs without the owners' knowledge like it was no big deal...so I guess it still goes on here and there....yikes.

Comment

I have known shops that used to do this... allergy pills were the most common thing some 'old school' groomers used, then the aw changed and you have to show ID to purchase it. Now I can personally attest to one shop in our area just before we opened this salon. She had a VERY bad rep with the local Vets.
                        I ask for several hours.. it is not for any other reason than many pets referred to me need it. Ive heard many say it is better to 'get it over with' but I was trained by Vets to work with 'special needs' pets... I also offer (at no extra charge) for some owners to drop off when we open (7:30am) and pick up after work for them (we close at 5pm)
                        I have worked in shops that demand 7 dogs in 7 hours, personally I dislike it, I dont get to spend the time and although there have been many who have posted they can finish a dog in an hour... Id LOVE to have someone show me how they do a severally matted Farm Dog (collie's mostly) in an hour. How about a newfy, a Sammy, a Keehond, alot of breeds that really do need the time.

Just one note here... I have a groomer working with me now, worked previously a big box store. Had a golden doodle, owner wanted the head not so full. I was asked to come over to show 'just what they wanted'... I came over, tried to comb through one side of the head.. comb could not go through.. so I said "comb it out and then Ill come over to show you" to which this person said.. "Look my comb goes through" I then replied... mine did not, so there must still be knots. I hear again "but my comb went through...so it is fine" I then replied" if I can find even one knot.. it is not combed through... this person could not understand what I was saying.

NOW I am not inferring that all groomers at big box stores are this way, but I do wonder why I get so many customers in my area who have been unhappy with them... Hmmmm

Comment

There is one shop around here that does. It used to be a fabulous shop but the owner sold it; it's changed hands several times and I had a hard time keeping up. I hadn't heard anything about the new owners until a customer came in saying her 6 month old Chow puppy went in for a groom perfectly fine, came home acting woozy, and promptly died that evening. The necropsy revealed that it had been oversedated. The owner neither gave permission nor was aware they were doing it. There is a hefty lawsuit pending. I doubt this particular shop is continuing that practice at this point considering the outcome.
                          There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by CutiePiesBySarah View Post
                            I've had people ask me before asking anything else if I sedate dogs. They're convinced their dogs have been sedated at other groomers cause they came home so tired. Well....yeah. That happens! It can be a mentally and sometimes physically (if they're fighters) exhausting day for some dogs. So I make sure I tell them that, just in case their dogs go home exhausted again....they can't blame me for shootin them up.
                            I agree, dogs, especially those that aren't great for grooming are going to be tired when they go home!

Comment

Thanks for everyone's responses! I really wanted to know how you all felt about this. I realize this may have been an issue years ago, but wouldn't think it would be now. I REALLY appreciate the idea that it could be shops spreading around negative info about other shops - true or not. But it's good to know they could be doing that.

I personally would never sedate a dog unless I worked for a vet (which I have in the past, and have used sedation - WITH permission.) If I ever thought a dog really needed it for grooming in my boutique salon, I'd tell the owner to go to their vet, talk to them, and get a prescription for something THEY can give the dog before grooming (owner or vet - NOT me!)

Comment

Working...
                              X