who makes your appointments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who makes your appointments?

For those of you that work in a shop situation and particularly in a vet clinic setting who makes your appoinments? Do you do it yourself or does the reception staff do it for you? I work with three other groomers and we make our own appointments but the phone ringing constantly and having to stop and answer it, go find the appointment book( it's alway seems to be on the other side of the room no matter which side your on) is annoying some days to put it mildly. Two of us think the receptionists should make the appointments( they are agreeable to it) but two are against it yet they are always complaining about the phone ringing while they are trying to finish dogs. The clients also frequently want the vets to see the pet for something while they are there and then we have to transfer the calls back up front while again eating up valuable time. So how do ya'll handle it?

Lisa

I work in a vet clinic & the receptionest make my appts. I try & tell them how many I can do but sometimes they over book me which means I get no lunch hour that day. Sometimes I wish I could make my own appts. They can schedule in vacs & scale & polish while the pet is there.

Comment

I work at a vet and the receptionist make my appts. I just tell them how many I want per day, and things like 1 big dog is equal to 2 small dogs, etc

Comment

I work at a vet hospital and the receptionists make my appointments for me. I put the schedule into the computer and they just fill the slots. It works out well for the most part. Does have a few kinks since I've had to have a few talks with them about scheduling me a full day of big dogs, hard to handle dogs, or dogs that need to be sedated. It works out pretty good now, though.

Comment

I've done it both ways and both have pros and cons. I work alone now so duh I make my own, but at a shop I managed we did it both ways. It started out we answered the phones and made appointments, took time out of grooming and a pain when you have to play hide and seek with the appointment book. We moved to having one of the cashiers take appointments because a new groomer came in and claimed that the appointments weren't being shared equally. She couldn't get that I had been there at the time 5 years and had regulars and the other groomer had been there 2 years and that it would take time to get to know the clients.
          The biggest down fall to having someone who isn't a groomer doing you appointments is they sometime don't get what dogs should go where. We ended up with 10 cockers and cocker mixes plus 4 scissor dogs in one day with just two of us. So if you have someone to train to set your appointments then go for it but understand that sometimes it will bite you.
          "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt,
          and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck
          www.wagmoresalon.com

Comment

My business partner or staff usually answer the phone and make appointments. I make them if I'm not in the middle of grooming.The most key part for us is that they know exactly what questions to ask... make a list, make them check it every time. Make sure you have good files that show how long it takes to do the groom, what was done last, who normally grooms the dog, etc. and that it is easily accessible by whoever is making the appointment. The most annoying thing with this for me is the girls don`t always get all the information or don`t allot enough time. If it`s a new customer appointment it might be better for you to do the first appointment so you can discuss everything thoroughly and the client understands what they are getting.. or you understand what you are getting(like 9 month old maltese that was never groomed for instance)! Totally ruins the day sometimes! I don`t work with a computer system yet so that is the major downfall for us.

Comment

i work in a boarding kennel/grooming there are days i work for the manager and i do grooming, bringing kennel dogs in and out, receptionist, retail ect..It's a pain having to constantly stop and go up front to a computer and figure out what dog goes where..so normally the manager just does it..she is very good at not overbooking and we get to pick our own schedule and what type of dogs we want to do and how many...

Comment

I hate it when others make my appts. I suppose that answers that question. If I am busy the girls will ask me where I want it and I point. Lol.
                There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

I work at a vet clinic as well. We basically don't trust most of the receptionist to make the appointments. I let them make appointments for me, but I always go and check to make sure they did it right. Most of the time they mess it up.

I hate being interrupted while I am grooming. We have an answering machine and the client leaves a message and we call back when we are done grooming. Some new clients don't like the set up but the established clients know the drill.
                  "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

I work out of a vet clinic as well and the receptionists book the appointments for me. It works well for the most part. It can be tricky when a new receptionist starts booking, but at least I'm not getting interrupted continually to book app'ts. I do get on the computer and check on the schedule and close or open an extra slot depending on the dogs booked for each day.
                    "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go." ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

I work at a vet clinic. Clients talk to the receptionist who makes ALL appts (mine, vets, boarding..) They have 7 appt slots for grooming and they just book them. There are a few dogs who have "notices" about grooming.. an 150lb Alaskan Malamute who needs lots of extra time, and a few aggressive dogs, or dogs that need to be the first appt ect.. I check my schedule at least once a day.. just to get an idea of what coming up. If I notice a couple easier dogs on the same day I will add a extra appt.. same goes for if I see there are a few more difficult dogs I will block off a slot.

Comment

Originally posted by OntheBRINKofDisaster View Post
                        I hate it when others make my appts. I suppose that answers that question. If I am busy the girls will ask me where I want it and I point. Lol.
                        Amen!
                        I work with all "non-groomers" & they just don't "get-it" ....NOT Their fault....But I know who can be put where, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by onions View Post
                          Amen!
                          I work with all "non-groomers" & they just don't "get-it" ....NOT Their fault....But I know who can be put where, etc...
                          Ditto! I work alone, but hubby has offered to do appointments when he's in, and I always say no... No fault to him, he just doesn't know what I can do as well as I do! So many of my clients I know simply by their voice too, so they call and i can simply book them right in, knowing exactly who they are without needing to stuff around with who and what they have... lol!

Comment

The receptionists make all of my appointments, too. And I really don't have a problem with them overbooking or not allowing enough time for larger or more complicated grooms.

I sometimes think we make our own problems by using the "They're not groomers, and they don't get it" excuse. Our receptionists didn't understand at first, either. But IMO if they can learn to make doctors appointments, they can figure out how to do mine too. It's what I expected from them right from the begining, and people do tend to live up to (or down to) our expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by onions View Post
                              Amen!
                              I couldn't agree with you more. They don't understand which dogs needs more time and which don't. AND it seems like they always fall for the sob story and will double book me even though I've threatened their lives if they do. I'm much happier making my own appointments, though I hate returning phone calls.
                              "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Working...
                              X