Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stupid shihtzu shavedown and now have stupid looking feet!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid shihtzu shavedown and now have stupid looking feet!!!!

why why why?
    I cant get it to look right.im soo annoyed!!! how come when you shave a shihtzu -cocker - whatever shaved down with a 7 I cant get the feet to look good .I comb it all up scissor over it and it still comes out bad.what am I doing wrong.

pictures?

Comment

Maybe try not shaving down the whole leg.. leave the foot to scissor fully, or do the foot with a light touch so you have more fur to work with. Shave pads & cut nails first, always. Fluff it all up with a slicker and trim, do this two or three times. Curves work better for this. If the dog has tangles or matts between the toes you probably won't get a nice looking foot.

Comment

Because they have ugly feet that were meant to be all covered up with hair, lol. Really, Cocker feet never fit thier bodies. They are either massive, and when shaved cannot be covered up or blended in to minimize their appearance, or they are too small for the chubby dogs and they againg can't be hidden because if you leave more hair on them, the owners complain.
        And Shih's, well, they tend to have splayed little feet and nails that stick out too far becuase the little darlings don't go for walks and wear thier nails down at all.
        Now what I really hate is doing a #5 on a Maltese. Talk about can't get it to look good.

Comment

Not sure what your doing wrong. Do you have any pictures? That might give a better idea. I know that I will round the feet first and then brush them to the sides to even them up. I take my blade down the top of the foot lightly to take of some of the length but I don't brush them up and scissor them anymore it just left them to choppy. Not sure if that makes sense. The only time I brush up is if the dog has matts between the toes so I have some hair to cover up.
          "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt,
          and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck
          www.wagmoresalon.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy in the Sky View Post
            Because they have ugly feet that were meant to be all covered up with hair, lol. Really, Cocker feet never fit thier bodies. They are either massive, and when shaved cannot be covered up or blended in to minimize their appearance, or they are too small for the chubby dogs and they againg can't be hidden because if you leave more hair on them, the owners complain.
            And Shih's, well, they tend to have splayed little feet and nails that stick out too far becuase the little darlings don't go for walks and wear thier nails down at all.
            Now what I really hate is doing a #5 on a Maltese. Talk about can't get it to look good.

YEP!!!

Comment

ill take pics next timeIm sure that wasnt the last one,for some reason they just always look goofy .I watched a girl on youtube do it and they looked cute. I want my feet to look like this but they do not
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjA-T...eature=related
              I watched this 50 times and mione dont look anything near this. I *think* the problem is they nails are alwaysw soo long and look dumb sticking out the front.I
              I do have a picture of cocker feet ill post in the morning when to work I hae them at work.those were thick meaty feet that I had to do on a 14 year old angry cocker that wanted to eat me.

Comment

when I shave a dog short

I also do a "poodle foot " with the same blade. I don't waste my time trying to do the scissor thing. Much safer to just do a poodle foot shave, with a longer blade. Works every time, foot looks good, and as the dog starts the grow out, the foot still looks good, rather than having long whispy stickie outs.

Give it a try, use a longer blade (not a #10) and see how you like it. I've used a #4 and even it looks good.

You can also do this with dogs that are a little fluffy, but where you want a tighter foot, you might just need to do the toes, not the whole foot to the ankle like a poodle.... Just shave with a longer blade. Yes do the underside out with a #10, or closer, but the toes and top of the foot, easy.

Comment

Originally posted by azoci View Post
                  I also do a "poodle foot " with the same blade. I don't waste my time trying to do the scissor thing. .... Just shave with a longer blade. Yes do the underside out with a #10, or closer, but the toes and top of the foot, easy.
                  hmmm....I never thought of doing that.Ill give thAt a try!!!!
                  thank you !!!!

Comment

I also do a "poodle foot " with the same blade. I don't waste my time trying to do the scissor thing. e.... Just shave with a longer blade. Yes do the underside out with a #10, or closer, but the toes and top of the foot, easy.
                    Ditto. I do the same thing on Golden feet, with a 7. Gives you a nice, tight foot that looks as good as can be expected for an ugly foot.

Comment

I watched the video, it was hard for me to see but it looks like she shaved the body but didnt really shave the feet. Then she scissored the feet to blend with the legs. If you are shaving the feet (which usually if the dog is matted enough to shave the feet need shaving too) you won't be able to get that look.

If you have to shave the feet then you need to not only scissor or clip around the edges of the feet but in between the toes too. You can do that with clippers or scissors. If you do it with clippers, it is like doing poodle feet as a couple people described

Comment

Originally posted by neanea View Post
                        yep!!!
                        and yep! Rolf!!
                        Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
                        www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

I got it!!!!

Ok okm ok I know what I did-
                          I was shaving too far down the foot.I live in florida and people here are a) lazy b) cheap
                          they get the 7 strip because they dont want to brush the dog and 7 take longer to grow out and need shaving .at least where I work . but yup I did a 7 on a chow,a peke a poo and a yorky and I had no foot troubles!!!!! Im soo happy !!!!!
                          thank you guys soo much !!!!!!
                          And as soon as i can talk someone into poodling a shihtzu foot Ill tell you how that turns out.

Comment

You can also do this with dogs that are a little fluffy, but where you want a tighter foot, you might just need to do the toes, not the whole foot to the ankle like a poodle.... Just shave with a longer blade. Yes do the underside out with a #10, or closer, but the toes and top of the foot, easy.
                            So, are you saying that if I do a #7 body I should use a #7bk on the foot? Where on the foot? Just the toes? I can't picture it.
                            "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                            People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Working...
                            X