Question about Fleas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Fleas

I was wondering if anybody sends dogs home if they have fleas? Or do you give the dogs a flea bath and continue the groom?

If I sent home evey dog with fleas, it would be half my clients! We give them a flea bath and continue with the groom. I do have an additional fee that I charge to cover the extra time to shampoo and clean the area.

Comment

In the dark ages, almost all dogs that came in in the spring and summer had fleas or ticks. It's amazing that my kids don't have 2 heads because we used gallons of dip from spring through fall. With the invention of topical products, I see very few fleas now (thank goodness). I only use flea shampoo now and give them a good soak. I inform the owner and suggest they get a topical from their vet. If it's only one or two I don't charge for the flea bath because they could have gotten it anywhere. Also, the clients tend to get nasty if you flea shampoo them and send them home and they find another flea. I don't want to argue whether they got it here or there...just not worth my time. They appreciate that A LOT! They feel like I've done them a favor and I feel I've avoided the "You gave my dog a flea bath and he still has a flea" argument. It the dog is infested, that's a different story and they're charged accordingly.

Comment

As long as it is legal in your area, I would give any infested dog the approriate dose of Capstar and keep them crated seperatly for an hour ,then procede.
        "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
        Quote:Cath

Comment

For a small amount of fleas I charge extra for a flea bath and call the owner immediately to let them know. But since I groom from my home if they are infested they are called to pick their dog up. I will go over to their home and do a flea bath and full groom for an extra fee but as of yet I have been lucky enough to have no dogs come in with fleas(yet). I have all my clients read all my policies before they become a client and they all understand that this is part of my arrangement and most are actually surprised I allow any fleas at all, so they are very understanding.
          My Blog: <a href="http://groomwise.typepad.com/in_the_dogs_house/">In the Dogs' House Groomwise Blog</a>

Comment

We give 'em a flea bath. An all natural shampoo. Couldn't imagine sending them home, I wouldn't have many customers left. Plus, some people make appointments just for the flea baths!
            Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Poodleluv View Post
              As long as it is legal in your area, I would give any infested dog the approriate dose of Capstar and keep them crated seperatly for an hour ,then procede.
              Yeah, but you don't give a dog anything other than a drink of water without the owner's permission first.

Comment

They go straight to the tub and are soaked down with Bark 2 Basic Non Pesticide Flea. Wrapped in a towel and into a crate. While they marinate, I do a clean up including premise spray. I charge for both the treatment and the cleanup.
                "The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind"-Theodorus Gaza

Comment

Any pet that comes into my salon with fleas or ticks are automatically given a flea bath at customers expense

Comment

We check everyone for fleas when they come in and treat accordingly I offer Capstar pills and flea baths. That way we're covered, no way I could turn dogs with fleas away.
                    "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt,
                    and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck
                    www.wagmoresalon.com

Comment

Straight to the tub for a soapy 10 minute flea shampoo soak. There is an extra charge for flea baths.

Comment

I give them a flea bath. I tell the owners up front that if I see fleas, their dog or cat will get a flea bath. I figure they don't want the fleas back and I don't want them hopping around my shop. So far the owners have been in total agreement.

Comment

Had my first tick of the season today. Right on top of the little schnauzer's head. I wanted to leave it there so that it would give me something to attach a bow to.

Comment

Here in Pa. i have been seeing ticks for about 3 weeks now...as for fleas last year was the absolute worst for those nasty bloodsuckers. I don't send home, I flea bathe in De Flea and watch those suckers die right before your eyes. i will treat the kennel they were in, and spray my area after I am done just in case. I do bring my dog everyday to the shop with me and she never got a flea, as far as I knew and let me tell how she chews herself raw if bitten by one...so I am ok with the way I handle those suckers.. no fleas yet this year... knocking on wood!!

Comment

If they call me and say the dog has fleas then I recommend one of the topical treatments before they come so that they don't infest the salon.

If they come in and I find fleas I don't turn them away. they go straight to the tub for a flea bath and then I spray everything down down with flea spray.

If a dog came in with a really terrible, ick, gross, gag me flea infestation I would get permission for the vet to give capster then depending on the day, either send home or put them someplace far away from all other animals for an hr. I have not seen a really serious flea infestation in years though. I do remember those days though Briar!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X