Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Looking to buy a camera for pet photography...suggestions please!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Looking to buy a camera for pet photography...suggestions please!!

First off, I don't want to spend more than $700!

Okay, maybe $800...

I love taking pictures at our shop, and I would like to be able to start doing pet portraits, especially around the holidays. I have a great camera for taking pictures of PEOPLE but when it comes to dogs, my shutter speed just isn't fast enough. One tiny jerk or twitch and it blurs when I'm in macro setting, which is the best setting for photographing up close. It doesn't change the colors as much as most other settings (especially when using a flash, the color always looks off no matter what), shows more detail, and looks better. I have seen some great photos here, and I'm curious what everyone is using and what they would suggest. I would prefer a camera that an amateur can use and learn with, but will still take great quality photos worthy of framing or putting on our website. Thanks!

I have a Fuji FinePix..Umm I think its a 5600 (quote me on that) Cost me around £150 (im in the UK) And takes FAB pictures.
    If you look up my shop on Facebook ( Watt-A-Dog Grooming Salon ) you can see some of the Pet portraits ive done (some are old but you should be able to pick out the newer ones.. they are better ) I also had Fujifinepix before (cheaper cameras) & theyve always been really good for the money.. dont

Comment

camera

I use a Nikon D60. I looked at the D80 and D100 but there were too many features I'd never use! Take a look at some the pics I take with mine. All of the pics on my website I took. I also have a set of Tungston lights and a few backdrops.

www.thedoghouseofoxford.com

Brook

Comment

First off if you are using an automatic camera you might need to change the lighting settings in the menu if you are shooting indoors as those will affect colour. Sounds liek you are notusing the flash so as to avoid the red eye look so that slows down the auto focu camera quite a bit. If you want to pay the money you should be able to look into SLR (single lens reflex) digital cameras (they use removabel lenses)and find a nice one that is in your rnage. I can't give a suggestion the one we have is a pro range model that costs $1800 for the body alone) Autofocus digital are good for some thigns but trying to get a good shot in a lighted rom without a flahs is a challenge!

Comment

In my experience, in that price range, Canon and Nikon are who you should be looking at. They both make really lovely DSLRs. I wish I had the money to get one, but then again if I had $800 I would probably be spending a week somewhere tropical.

Comment

I use a canon 40d that I love but you can get a canon rebel digital slr in your price range, but the lens is what matters, go to your local camera store and tell them what your doing and they can help. If your going to use a flash it is best if its adjustable so you can bounce the light off the walls or ceiling. Once you figure out what you want check ebay, photographers are allways upgradeing and dont worry to much about megapixles, anything over 8 is all you ever need.

Comment

Thanks guys! I'm actually wanting to purchase a camera from Best Buy so I can work on my credit, otherwise I would most definitely be checking ebay.

Comment

I recently bought myself my own DSLR, and I decided on the Canon EOS Rebel XSi. Cost me about $500 for body and lens, but I shopped around for deals on eBay. It will be more expensive new from Best Buy.

I highly recommend the Canon Rebel line, any of the cameras are great entry to mid-level DSLRs that are also good for beginners. They can help you get into the world of SLR cameras and start collecting lenses and flashes. With a Rebel, you can use as little or as much customization as you want. If you know next to nothing about photography, you can set it to Auto and just click away and still get great shots. Or, you can choose one of the priority or even manual mode if you know what you're doing. If you want to spend up to $700-$800, I'd go for the EOS Rebel T1i, it's the next model up from mine and it has video capabilities.

If you're not for Canon, or just want some other options, Nikon also has really great cameras that are on the same level as the Rebel line from Canon. They're very similar and pretty competitive. A D40, D3000, D5000, or D80 are great models in the lower price range.

No matter what you end up buying, I'd recommend you buy UV filters for all your lenses - about $15-20 but will save your lens from dust, moisture and scratches! Also, invest in good lenses. Most of these cameras should come with a kit lens - 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6. This is a good place to start, but I'd also recommend a 50mm f/1.8 lens. It's fixed, meaning it has no zoom, but gosh they create gorgeous images! If you want to see any examples of either of these lenses or the Rebel, check out my flickr www.flickr.com/smartpoodle

Good luck and have fun!

Natalie

Comment

Originally posted by green_dog View Post

Most of these cameras should come with a kit lens - 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6. This is a good place to start, but I'd also recommend a 50mm f/1.8 lens. It's fixed, meaning it has no zoom, but gosh they create gorgeous images!

Natalie
                  Nikon user here. I don't have the 50mm f/1.8 but the 50mm f/1.4. I have a love hate relationship with this lens. It's just so soft and lots of bokeh. It's great for people portraits but I find I want a sharper image with pets most of the time. Still, great bokeh but prepare to do sharpening in processing.
                  http://cooniegoonie.smugmug.com/Pets...503_ixcdx-A-LB
                  That Tenacious Terrier!
                  www.thattenaciousterrier.com
                  https://www.facebook.com/ThatTenaciousTerrier

Comment

Look at the Nikon D3000 (if you're not thinking Canon). A great place to start and it'll leave you enough money to invest in some glass. You should be more concerned with the lens you use than the camera body. Also need to invest in an external flash. PM me if you'd like suggestions.

Also I don't think ebay is the best place to buy. Amazon, B&H would likely have it at a comparative price and without the crooks. Best Buy is gonna rip you a new one.
                    That Tenacious Terrier!
                    www.thattenaciousterrier.com
                    https://www.facebook.com/ThatTenaciousTerrier

Comment

Look at amazon this is what we got from them. WE LOVE IT FOR ALL OCCASIONS

Canon Digital Rebel XTi 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera $690.10

you can go cheaper on the lens but this is what we got.
                      $371.79 Tamron Autofocus 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) for Canon SLR Cameras

Comment

digital photo forums website - great!

Before you buy, start reading the forum on www.DPREVIEW.com (digital photography review)...I have found it very informative. You will save lots of money buying online versus Best Buy. This website has shopping info also.
                        Another member mentioned her Fuji Finepix....for the $$$$ I have been so impressed with mine. I have gotten way more than my monies worth on that baby. Although, I'm not saying that is what a person needs for pet photography. Good Luck.

Comment

I vote for any of the Rebel line. The Xsi is the middle man and will have most of the features you need. I agree with the 1.8 fixed (as opposed to a lens that can zoom in and out, this lens only has a small depth of field which means stuff in front of and directly behind the object of focus will be blurry, but that makes the subject stand out.. it makes for a gorgeous image, however, it is very easy to get eyes in focus and nose out of focus if the dog is too close. Agree with the love/hate relationship.

Quick shutter speed will always mean losing detail in the image (quicker shutter means less open lens time, less capture of detail). Sometimes a flash is a good compromise. This camera comes in with a built in flash that has an adjustable brightness. You'll find that you can use a flash even when not needed to fill in dark spots on a lower brightness). You will need that quicker shutter speed, however since pups don't freeze very well!

I say go for the higher end camera rather than the point and shoot since you can always use it on its most basic Auto function if you need a learning curve, but will have a wonderful tool to learn more about portraiture and photography in general. I bought a G10 first and then immediately upgraded... don't go for anything other than an SLR if you are trying to do portraits. Once you have a grasp of depth of field and lighting techniques, you will be glad you have a more semi-professional camera. Xsi was about 680 and the fixed lens 1.8 was about 120, (also Canon brand).

Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucylove View Post
                            I vote for any of the Rebel line. The Xsi is the middle man and will have most of the features you need. I agree with the 1.8 fixed (as opposed to a lens that can zoom in and out, this lens only has a small depth of field which means stuff in front of and directly behind the object of focus will be blurry, but that makes the subject stand out.. it makes for a gorgeous image, however, it is very easy to get eyes in focus and nose out of focus if the dog is too close. Agree with the love/hate relationship.

Quick shutter speed will always mean losing detail in the image (quicker shutter means less open lens time, less capture of detail). Sometimes a flash is a good compromise. This camera comes in with a built in flash that has an adjustable brightness. You'll find that you can use a flash even when not needed to fill in dark spots on a lower brightness). You will need that quicker shutter speed, however since pups don't freeze very well!

I say go for the higher end camera rather than the point and shoot since you can always use it on its most basic Auto function if you need a learning curve, but will have a wonderful tool to learn more about portraiture and photography in general. I bought a G10 first and then immediately upgraded... don't go for anything other than an SLR if you are trying to do portraits. Once you have a grasp of depth of field and lighting techniques, you will be glad you have a more semi-professional camera. Xsi was about 680 and the fixed lens 1.8 was about 120, (also Canon brand).

Hope this helps!
                            Very helpful and informative, thank you!! I am definitely leaning towards a Rebel of some sort, I have been for quite some time. I will check out the website suggested as well. I want to learn more, so I definitely want a camera that I will be able to grow with, ya know? Something that is user friendly to start with, that I can do more with once I am more educated.

Comment

Working...
                            X