X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have to vent.... Do you ever feel -

Like you are being taken advantage of?

You give a foot - they take a yard...

I groomed 12 dogs on Friday and 16 dogs today.... Today, they were supposed to have 2 "other" groomers, but instead decided to put me in this location because I groom faster.... ugh! So I was there from 6am to 6:45pm...7 full grooms, which includes a wheaton with 4 inches of hair (that had to soak in D-Mat for 20 minutes), to then scissor a half an inch off all over.... plus 9 B+B's

My business is doing great - just not great enough yet... I'm grateful that I have a second job, but geez I just feel like they are constantly pushing my buttons... Sorry everyone, just had to vent a bit... and God forbid you ever get a "Thank You" or "Great Job".....

For the business owners/managers - don't forget to show appreciation to those that work so hard to make your business a success - it will truly impact your dedicated workers and increase your bottom line!

Oh...I know just how you feel.
    My co-worker and I have been busting our butts. Jan and Feb were a little slow, but not too bad. March was CRAZY busy...we've been working A LOT. Anyway, so on fri as we are about to leave the owner comes in and has the audacity to question our shampoo use. She said that we are going through about a gallon a week and we've gone through 18 gallons since the beginning of the year (we have 4 gallons sitting on the shelf that haven't been used yet). The 18 gallons comes to roughly 600 bucks that the owner has spent in shampoo the first quarter. Then my co-worker and I looked at the books and we've done approx $50,000 in grooming sales in the first quarter. We couldn't believe it...here we've grossed $50,000 dollars in grooming sales alone and she is bi**hing about $600 dollars in shampoo. Ug, here we've been working 6-7 days a week making sure no dogs are turned away and she complains about spending approx $30 a week in shampoo. Some people just don't have any appreciation for employees.

Comment

I understand what you mean. I sometimes have a problem with the manager of the vet I work at thinking of me only as a 'service' and not as a person. I had to have a sit down discussion with him the other day about this. This week I was diagnosed with pnuemonia and put on antibiotics. I didn't want to cancel on my clients because I'm getting married soon and have had to reschedule people so many times. So I come in but I"m coughing up a storm, getting cold sweats, shaking, and generally feeling like death. My manager saw me like this, expressed his concern...then took two 100 pound BMDs that came in as walk ins without even asking me first. His reasoning was that I didn't TELL him that I wanted light work until I was better.I mean...if you saw someone who was a coworker and friend with a serious illness would you go out of your way to make their day -harder-? This isn't the first time there's been something like this. There have been a few times when he's changed the schedule I put in the computer to fit some extra dogs in without asking me just because that was the day the clients wanted and he wanted to make them happy. =/ Just seems like bad business practice.

Comment

I know the feeling, the shop in work at p/t has a new owner, new hrs, new rules. I was working from 7:30 am to 6 pm by myself' and by the time I got all the cleaning done, was not getting out of there till 7. The new rule is "WE" don't turn any one away before 3 pm. A couple weeks ago, I had 10 dogs by 11 am, went and told the pet store staff if "WE" take anymore dogs, "WE "will have to come in grooming and help. They were supposed to have hired another groomer, two shifts, 7:30 -3:30 & 10 -6. After I put my foot down, they finally got of their hineys and found another groomer. Never even said we are sorry you have been having to work 12 hr days. Their attitude was your the groomer, just go grooms dogs,,never mind the fact that I was totally exausted, have been grooming less than 2 years and can only do about 1dog per hr,,,,,, I really loved the "WE" policy,,,,lmao.

Comment

yep...for 2 yrs...and then i left and now im totally happy where im at!
          Hound

Comment

Hi
            I'm new here. I did not realize that you guys work for the same person I do lol! I'm sorry you are being put though all this stuff. I hope it get's better for you. My salon had a very busy March. My manager came in and asked if I could call my sister to come in and help me on Friday the 19th because the 20th was going to be very busy. I said sure thinking I would have about 12 to 15 dogs like I had everyday that week. Oh no we had 22 because the owner said since I had help to not turn anyone away!!!! Then the owner was going to try and cut into my commission to pay my sister! I had a pet owner cancel on me the saturday before. He does this all the time. He called the 19th and I told him I would not be able to groom his dog because I had already been warned that I would be busy on the 20th. Once they found out that my sister would help me they called him and told him to come in too! They did not feel the need to tell me about this so he shows up Saturday morning. So the manager made me look like a fool. Now that jerk will never respect me. Oh did I mention that I got griped at about my shampoo use now I'm told that I need buy a measuring cup to measure out the shampoo so we can save shampoo. Well that's just too bad I do dilute the shampoo like the bottle says. But they still complained after I made them a ton of money. They can keep complaining because the customers love the shampoo I use and the perfume as well. I will not restrict my shampoo use to help them out,not when My clients like it. I'm saving back as much as I can for a shop of my own, I left corporate because I take pride in my grooms and want my clients to know that I appreciate them!

Comment

It's so sad. It happens all the time.
              My assistant gives her ALL, stays late, does a ton of grunt work (as long as she doesn't have to deal w/ clients), shows up on time...rain or snow, will do ANYTHING I ask her to, has worked the past month w/ a toothache, AND...does it all with a smile on her face. Sort of smile.
              OK...maybe more of a grimace? (I thank her profusely....but I put money where my mouth is. "Thank-You" don't pay bills in MD.)

Draw your line in the sand and stick to it. People only take as much advantage of you as you permit them to.
              They have shown their colors...time to show yours.

(A tiny part of you should be flattered that you can obviously work circles around the others,...but "flattered" and "flattened"...are 2 different things. )
              Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Nope! Sorry. I 100% believe that people only mistreat you if you allow them to. I am very generous with a lot of things, BUT I don't give anything more than I am willing to give. If I am put out, it's with myself because I allowed it. You can't expect others to respect your boundaries if you never set any.
                "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Just say no!!!

You do NOT have to do endless numbers of dogs. You tell them a number you will START with, after which they must CHECK WITH YOU about EACH additional dog. No exceptions.

Business owners as many of you describe want the MONEY and will take it out of your hide IF YOU LET THEM! I have also worked for people like this. You must be ready to tell them your limit, tell them when you are going home, and refuse to do additional dogs (or huge dogs when you are ill, etc.). Seriously. All you have to do is set your limits, know that they are going to ignore them, and be prepared to tell them that you already told them what they need to do, so now they need to call the owners and explain that THEY made a mistake in booking, and the dog can't be done that day.

And tell every one of these money-hungry, insensitive owners that if they take a walk-in without checking with you, they can expect to do it themselves or call the owner and explain their mistake. Sure, they won't be happy that they make less money than they COULD HAVE, but you will darn sure get more respect and will be ASKED about taking additional dogs. And some days you might want to, or the dog is easy, etc. At least you will have more control.

Don't get me wrong - I have been guilty of taking extra dogs in when there were three of us grooming, BUT - I AM A GROOMER!! I know what the scheduling is. I would ask the groomer with the lightest schedule if they wanted another dog. If they didn't, then I would decide whether to take an extra one on. I did not simply pile up the work endlessly on others.

Of course you have to be ready to be fired, lol. And if you are, they will know that you are serious, and don't want to be a slave.

Good groomers are hard to find. Set your boundaries so that you are happier.

Comment

we are under new management and i never knew how nice grooming can be...I was ready to just give up on grooming, i was so stressed all of the time and we had to do every single dog (no matter the temperament) we had to finish dogs, they don't care (or udnerstand ) how hard it is to groom some dogs...The old manager who never groomed a dog before would tell US how to groom...it was annoying.
                    The new manager actually helps us clean up, she is all about letting us work without stress (obviously days are going to be stressful but she tried to help as much as she can.) we are actually allowed to talk to clients..it's nice!! And now i have 11 baths tommorrow to get done before 8 o'clock in the morning..it's going to be intersting.

Comment

anybody who is any good...

is not going to put up with that stuff for long so when I hear shop owners complain how difficult it is to find help they just have to listen to stories like these and remember that, like 4 sibes says "Thank you don't pay the bills! "
                      You folks who allow yourself to be treated that way have to learn you have the upper hand- call in sick one day and see. You should NEVER have to work a second job pulling hours like that! What are you a slave????
                      Too bad there isn't a union.... I have seen this too many times. I walked out 4 days after I got my first job and the owner tried to pull that on me and I never looked back. Been on my own ever since and work my own pace, pick my own clients and fire those who can't keep appointments.
                      Grow some backbone kiddo-

Comment

Originally posted by AuntieBeth View Post
                        is not going to put up with that stuff for long so when I hear shop owners complain how difficult it is to find help they just have to listen to stories like these and remember that, like 4 sibes says "Thank you don't pay the bills! "
                        You folks who allow yourself to be treated that way have to learn you have the upper hand- call in sick one day and see. You should NEVER have to work a second job pulling hours like that! What are you a slave????
                        Too bad there isn't a union.... I have seen this too many times. I walked out 4 days after I got my first job and the owner tried to pull that on me and I never looked back. Been on my own ever since and work my own pace, pick my own clients and fire those who can't keep appointments.
                        Grow some backbone kiddo-
                        My work is actually pretty good at watching the schedule and checking with us if they think we are at our limit. They are actually very good about the schedule. My biggest complaint is the owner. She is a CONTROL FREAK, and since she isn't a groomer she knows that us groomers are the only people that she can't tell how to do our job. So she tries to find things that have to do with grooming but that she can control. She gets on these kicks where she starts obsessing over one thing or another for a while and when she can't bitch about that anymore then she tries to find something else. It's just so annoying. We just wish she would butt out and let us do our job.

Comment

Time for a change-of-pace

I have read these and it just makes me re-appreciate being mobile. Yes; I am an owner/groomer but still run 2 vans. I would never abuse my other groomer. I actually look for ways to give her stress-relief so she doesn't ever feel burned out. The holidays can get hectic of course but being mobile gives you a break between clients; on the road...off your feet...some music and no more than 7-8 dogs an a day...and of those at least are only small, short-haired bath dogs. So...you groom maybe 5. The pay is still around $700. weekly and that is only working 5-6 days a week. Might I suggest that you look around for a mobile service in your areas for employment. It is the "ultimate" grooming experience...if you are extremely organized and a self-managing person. It doesn't matter if you are the owner...or groomer....it is "your office" every day. And if this isn't possible...then take a word of advise that spent 22 years in the Corporate world....don't ever let an employer run you over. You set your limits and call their bluff. If the work load is as heavy as I am reading...its not like they can afford to let you go. You should always be "respected" in any work environment but you must stand your ground! Check out my photo site: www.poochparlor.phanfare.com and view my mobile salons and the work environment.

Poochlady

Comment

Bernie is right. People don't take advantage of you or mistreat you unless you allow it. We teach people how to treat us, and it's time to give a few owners and managers a lesson. STOP GETTING IT DONE! Give 'em a heads up first. "I'm only one person, I can't groom at the spead of light, and I can't stop the passage of time. I'm here for XX hours. Period. If you book more dogs than I can get done in that amount of time, someone is going home ungroomed." Put it in writing. Then, if you see they've over booked you, suggest they call a couple of those people and reschedule, because owners get really upset of the come to pick up their dog and find it hasn't been touched.

I'm sure they'll threaten to fire you. Let 'em. They can't just bring in anyone off the street to do your job, and they know it. We're valuable. We provide a service few people can provide. We're almost irreplacable (if we do a good job). Stick to your guns when they start to threaten. Let 'em know you're not a door mat.

Comment

thats very true helly....so when i finally left i had stopped rushing to get the dogs done because she decided to pile extra dogs onto me....so she was basically forced to help me out and get the dogs at least washed and dried for me...sorry i cannot do 2 goldens in 2 hrs that are haircuts. not when im washing and drying them myself. you wanna pitch in and help me out? then we will see. she tried to wheedle a deal with me when i gave two weeks...i refused it. now shes hurting because she couldnt find another bather to come work for her. in 2 wks time....she actually told me i should have told her ahead of time that i was looking for another place of employment....what did she expect me to do all the grunt work, groom the large haircut dogs,do bath dogs,wash the other groomers dogs, do all the nail trims, and clean up the shop after everyone was done for the day, for only 8.50 an hour? oh well..i had had it. to bad so sad. now she is hurting and really should have thought about giving me that 10.00/hr she had told me she was going to before xmas.
                              so.....i walked out and now im perfectly happy where im at...stress free and loving it!
                              Hound

Comment

Working...
                              X