Speaking of cake-OT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of cake-OT

Today was my son's 4th birthday so we threw him a Star Wars party. I made him an R2-D2 cake. It was my first time working with modeling chocolate, which was, um, different LOL. It didn't come out as well as I had hoped, but the kids liked it. The eye did light up too. It was 6 layers of devils food cake. We're going to be eating cake for a LONG time. The brown you see at the bottom is from the cake filling, just kind of oozed out a bit.
    Ever wonder what R2-D2 looked like on the inside?

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ger/R2D2-2.jpg
    http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ger/R2D2-3.jpg
    http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ger/R2D2-4.jpg
    http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ger/R2D2-5.jpg
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Very nice job you have a lot more patients than I would have had. Your son will always remember that cake.

Comment

That is a doozy of a cake. Nice job.
      www.gomobileandsucceed.com
      http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Wish my mom had been that cool when I was growing up.
        "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
        People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Cute and yummy looking! Good job Mommy.
          ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

You are one special mom! That is one grand cake.
            My kids were lucky to get a sheet cake. I didn't even like to make round cakes.
            "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
            Diane

Comment

You are truly a Super Mom! Your kids will have the best memories when they are all grown up. The cake was so nice, good job!

sittingpretty

Comment

WHERE do you find the time girl????? That is a really cool cake!

Tell the tuth...timewise, was it 2 Std. Poos in Town and Countrys...or more like 3 She-Shoes (thank you Rudy Roo!) in Puppy Clips?

And yes...it looks like you will be eating cake for a while, unless AMelena lives close enough. I'm sure she would buy some from you to feed to her dogs.
                Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

great job for the first time working with that stuff. It's hard to get the hang of that modeling chocolate that's something your son will always remember.
                  "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt,
                  and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck
                  www.wagmoresalon.com

Comment

That's really cool! Is modeling chocolate anything like fondant (sp)?
                    Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
                    George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

Aaaahhhh! You ATE R2-D2. Your son is going to be traumatized for life!! hee hee That really is cool. I can't even make a decent looking 2 layered cake.
                      "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Modeling chocolate is similar to fondant but it is much heavier and much harder to roll out. At least it was for me!
                        I started this cake on Thursday, first by baking all 6 layers of devils food cake. After they all cooled I did the dirtu icing as well as the filling in between the layers. I made one batch of rice crispy treats and thought that would be enough, but it wasn't even enough for the entire curve of the head. The modeling chocolate has to set up for a few hours before you use it so I made it Friday morning Of course that was the day which my daughter had off from school. On Friday I still had to go out and buy my daughters Easter dress and my son his Easter clothes. I always buy them special outfits for Easter and Christmas. So we went to Macy's and out to lunch at the food court, then to the dollar store to look for the perfect size light for his eye. By the time we got home I was tired, but I knew i couldn't let the chocolate just sit without it getting too hard. I also realized I had forgotten to buy more marshmellows for the second batch of rice crispy treats I needed. So I covered R2's body with the chocolate, with my daughter telling me how it's cracking the whole time. Ugh. Then I had to go groom a husky so I left and stopped at the store on the way home for the marshmellows. Forgot more frosting though, so I just whipped some up at home, no biggie there. I do not know how to make marshmellows! LOL. So I made the other batch of treats and let them cool. I hadn't realized you couldn't use liquid cake tint with the chocolate, at least according to the recipe I had, so I went and just bought boxed fondant to make the blue parts with. I molded the legs with the rice crispy treats and then covered those with some white fondant, since no one would be eating those. Made the bluie fondant, rolled it out, then started cutting and applying. Of course I had also painted the head silver before doing that. I finished at about 11:30pm, which actually is earlier than I was counting on, then had to wrap his gifts. Then at midnight my sister called and had a personal crisis to talk to me about, so I was up talking to her until 2am anyway LOL. So I was tired, but he had a fun birthday and loved his gifts and cake and just had a great day. He even went to bed early!
                        What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Wow, you are an awesome Mom! Good for you!

Comment

Originally posted by mylady View Post
                            Modeling chocolate is similar to fondant but it is much heavier and much harder to roll out. At least it was for me!
                            I started this cake on Thursday, first by baking all 6 layers of devils food cake. ///...ersonal crisis to talk to me about, so I was up talking to her until 2am anyway LOL. So I was tired, but he had a fun birthday and loved his gifts and cake and just had a great day. He even went to bed early!
                            I'm exhausted just READING that!
                            "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                            People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

I feel your pain! I made a chihuahua birthday cake last year for my friend's daughter's birthday. The head alone took me 3 hours. I spent all night finishing the thing and did not sleep a wink until after the party. I was delirious, half-asleep, walking up to the park with this life-sized chihuahua cake, praying I wouldn't drop the stupid thing. She was stoked, everyone loved it, and honestly at that point I was so tired all I wanted anyone to do was to cut it into a million tiny pieces so I never had to see it again.

That cake of yours looks awesome though! If you feel like doing another big cake like that again, I would suggest marshmallow fondant. It's easy to make and tastes way better than the store bought stuff (Wilton is DISGUSTING!) Also, there's another brand of fondant called Fondariffic and it is AMAZING. They have tons of different flavors and they are all delicious, the fruit flavors taste like starburst and the buttercream flavor is soooo good. If you google them and find the website, you can order a little sample pack just to taste them and get a feel of the consistency of it. I haven't used it to cover a cake yet but I definitely plan on it.

It's a HUGE pain in the butt, but I love making cakes!

Comment

Working...
                              X