Now I've heard everything!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now I've heard everything!

OK, I don't claim to be an expert on cocker spaniels, but, having shown-bred-trained and groomed them for over 12 years, I feel that I know a little. I was told today something that simply blew my mind. A customer left a moble groomer because the customer was told the following. You know that having long hair on a cocker spaniel during the summer is not healthy. All cocker spaniels should be shaved down, the long coat isn't healthy. Now I suppose if the customer doesn't plan on keeping the spaniel clean and brushed, that might constitute being unhealthy. To claim that all spaniels should be shaved down for health issues is simply crazy. I have no idea where this claim can be backed up with intelligent reasoning.

Anyone have any ideas?

It's not healthy for the groomer! So much hair.. hair that holds onto water for dear life! All of the spaniels are coming out of the woodwork around here and I want to cry every time I have to dry one. Other than that, the groomer is full of sh*t.

Comment

Sounds like some lazy groomer in the past didn't want to brush the dog and filled their head with whatever they wanted to do.

Comment

I am always weary about what stories are told from person A to person B who relates their version to person C (you). If the groomer said this it could be she feels the pet is more likely to get ticks hidden in the fur and not seen which could lead to sickness...who knows.

I know a while ago one lady called me and told me her old groomer told her that her dog was bad. Sometime later on she told me that same groomer told her that her dog was wonderful. Same groomer.

Comment

Aren't you glad you had an opportunity to educate this person? This time of year hairy beasts come from everywhere and some groomers would rather not deal with them. I worked with a groomer once that told this same thing to EVERYONE that came in (needless to say I had all of the dematts and she did all of the shave downs.)

Maybe this client was unsure f they could actually keep thier cocker looking attractve instead of naked! Unfortunately cockers look the worst when they're stripped down, IMO. If even a little bit of coat is left on them for balance it can be so attractive instead of the naked look. I admit they are not my favorite to work on; brush and dry, brush and dry and then a little more...brush and dry, stretch that coat and make it smooth....ugh. But the end result is so lovely, even if the length is is moderate.

I "pat you on the back" for being so dilligent with the cockers, :>) !

sittingpretty

Comment

I suspect this is a case of "What the groomer said as opposed to what the clilent heard."

Probable scenario: Client lived in an area where summers were very hot and humid. Fleas and ticks were abundant. Cocker comes in with hot spots due to flea bites and hot humid weather. Groomer tells owner it would be better if the dog were shaved down because all that hair was contributing to the skin issues due to repeatedly being damp. Also, flea and tick control would be easier with a short coat.

What the owner hears is "All Cockers should be shaved down in the summer because long hair causes health problems.

And it's also possible the groomer believed, as do many people, that shaving them down will keep them cooler. It doesn't, but try telling that to anyone and see how far you get.

Comment

I am so pleased to read the posts. It encourages me that there are still many faithful to the breed groomers out there. Shaving the dogs down for summer is still "the old farmers" method of dog care. They didn't have time to groom the dog every night for matts and bugs, so it was easier to just shave them down. Was brought up in that realm of history. In this century it is totally different. Less farms, less hunting but the love of the big hairy dog is still there. There weren't groomers everywhere, being educated in the breed standards. In fact, a groomed dog was the emblem of wealth and statis. Now it is common place to groom the dogs. The more educated we as groomers become the better the dogs look and we spot health issues quicker than ever before. My speciality is spaniels (mainly cockers) and Schnauzers. The days of shaving the back bare and hula skirts, should not be. It takes no long to properly clipper than to shave down a dog bare. Using the technoligy we now have makes this now available more than ever. When asked why I keep my 2 breeds in coat, I simply explain. "If I wanted a beagle or a russel, I would have gotten one." As a groomer, I want my clients to have that same opinion. That is the profession I chose and the job I do. It isn't how much money I can make in a day or how many dogs I can do. It is, to me, how pleased is my customer is and will they come back. I guess I am of a different breed.

Comment

OK, let me make this perfectly clear. I am NOT in the least opposed to shaving a Cocker down to his underwear. They are not my favorite breed to groom, by a long shot.

In my area it's just more practical to shave them down. Our weather is hot and humid. There are ponds and lakes and streams and rivers everywhere you look. And when it rains, which is often, it's not foolin' around. Trying to get full coats dry is an exercise in futility. I've seen dogs come in with algea and mold growing in their coat. We have ticks on top of ticks, and it's not unusual to remove 100 or more. We have sand burrs, cockle burrs, and beggars lice. We have sweet gum trees, and cedars that drop sap and thorny twigs that get caught up in the coat.

We also have a lot of Cockers (as well as other hairy breeds) that are owned by families with young children. All that coat is just too much for mom to spend hours on. It's in everyones best interest to shave it off.

Not only that, but to be quite blunt about it, I don't care. It's not my dog, and I don't have to live with it. If they ask for the infamous "squid cut", they'll get it, and I'll put their money in the cash drawer with a big smile on my face.

Comment

I am Not opposed to shaving the cockers down either. BUT.. there is a way to make them still short without a 10 or 40 blade down the back. My senior clients can't handle a full show coat but the street coat is easy for them to manage. Plus bringing them to me every 4 weeks is reasonable. Still making a cocker look like a cocker and not a beagle. Matts come out nicer when the coat is at street length. Usually with all the products out today, blowing the coat breaks up the matts and then just trimming is needed. Cage drying only sets the matts in harder, result shave them down. Just not my way. But that isn't the issue, it is telling the GP that long coats is unhealthy. I just can't understand that.

Comment

Originally posted by cockers4ever View Post
                    I am Not opposed to shaving the cockers down either. BUT.. there is a way to make them still short without a 10 or 40 blade down the back. My senior clients can't handle a full show coat but the street coat is easy for them to manage. Plus bringing them to me every 4 weeks is reasonable. Still making a cocker look like a cocker and not a beagle. Matts come out nicer when the coat is at street length. Usually with all the products out today, blowing the coat breaks up the matts and then just trimming is needed. Cage drying only sets the matts in harder, result shave them down. Just not my way. But that isn't the issue, it is telling the GP that long coats is unhealthy. I just can't understand that.
                    Perhaps you missed the point of my first post. It's probable that the groomer did NOT say that. It's what the owner heard, but not what the groomer said. We get the other end of that all the time..."My vet said..." when we all know the vet said nothing of the kind.

Personally, I don't care if they look like Beagles instead of Cockers. I don't care if they look like squids. To be honest, most of the Cockers I see don't look like dogs anyway. They look like furry watermelons. And I'd rather shave them down. With a 10 if necessary. Around here, it makes a whole lot of sense, and for many of them, it is healthier for their skin.

Comment

Okay Helly, what is a squid cut??

I do several cockers that get a 4 blade all over. I do one that gets a cocker pattern, but likes the legs and skirt done with a 1 snap on and the back with a 7F in the summer and a 5F in the winter. I do only two I can think of off hand that have a full coat.

I agree that what the groomer said and the owner heard and passed on were probably (not definitely) two different things.

Comment

[QUOTE=Helly;403494 ....... They look like furry watermelons...[/QUOTE]

HAHAHAHAH I just spit pop out of my nose.... I like to refer to those pudgy fellows as little furry footstools . Your too funny...
                        "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt,
                        and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck
                        www.wagmoresalon.com

Comment

I groom several with a 4 and other's get shaved. It does not matter to me one way or the other personally. It is what the client wants and really where I live most want them shaved. I love the breed but grooming them can be a challenge for me. I find that most have ear problems and skin problems.

Comment

Originally posted by tia2370 View Post
                            It's not healthy for the groomer! So much hair.. hair that holds onto water for dear life!
                            I second that!!! I think I am going to start telling my cocker clients that long hair isn't healthy either in the summer or winter. Do you think it will work?
                            "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Originally posted by cockers4ever View Post
                              OK, I don't claim to be an expert on cocker spaniels, but, having shown-bred-trained and groomed them for over 12 years, I feel that I know a little. I was told today something that simply blew my mind. A customer left a moble groomer because the customer was told the following. You know that having long hair on a cocker spaniel during the summer is not healthy. All cocker spaniels should be shaved down, the long coat isn't healthy. Now I suppose if the customer doesn't plan on keeping the spaniel clean and brushed, that might constitute being unhealthy. To claim that all spaniels should be shaved down for health issues is simply crazy. I have no idea where this claim can be backed up with intelligent reasoning.

Anyone have any ideas?
                              OMG what I would give for to have those clients that would like to have a full cocker cuts. Instead I'm reduced to field cuts and shortened skirts and legs. That just pure laziness on that groomers part.Ok bring me a severely matted cocker spaniel and I will most likely give it a field cut and prey the owners bring it back religiously in hope to grow its coat for a proper cocker style.

Comment

Working...
                              X