Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could it be the Calm before the Storm????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could it be the Calm before the Storm????

Had a new client this morning with a lllasa. When she called I asked how the dog is for grooming and she tells me that she hasn't had any problems and she is super sweet and just a loving dog so I booked the appointment. When I get there this morning the lady seems so nervous and I just thought getting a new groomer and all. Anyway we discussed how she wanted her groomed and I went on about the business of grooming this llasa. I have to give the lady credit, the dog had a pretty overgrown and thick coat with only a couple of small matts. So I take the dog back in to Mama she wanted to know how she had done and I told her she did really well. She was shocked. She said really?? Well yes I said why are you so surprised so she goes on to tell me that that dog had been thrown out of every shop in town and was told by the last groomer that it needed to be sedated and groomed at the vets. Lets just say I had a mixed bag of emotions. Number one I can't believe she didn't tell me so I could at least have been aware ( I know no one really does tell the truth about there babies). Number two I can't believe the dog did so well for me (don't have a clue as to why). I'm not one of these groomers who claim they can tackle any bad dog. If they are bad enough they go back in to Mama. Anyway I was just wondering if this could be like a honeymoon period and the little devil might turn on me next time? I actually felt like I had a good repoire with this dog and llasas aren't really my favorite but she was sweet. Made me feel good that she let me groom her though and she was so calm the whole time. I guess I was ticked that the lady wasn't honest with me but was very happy thet the grooming went so well. Anyway she rebooked so I guess I'll know in a few weeks if the dog really liked me or is it just the calm before the storm.
    ~*~Robin~*~
    "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Could just be the one on one is what this dog needed, sounds like your mobile. Some dogs do not do well in a high stress or busy enviroment, and the lady should have warned you first.
    ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

If it works out I would go with it until it doesn't anymore. If nothing else you can count on her being a loyal client!

Comment

I had a dog like that one time also a lhasa. I groomed him once was great for me even though the owner had told me he had been refused other places. Came in the next time and went ballistic I couldn't even get near him kept trying to attack me. So that was the end of that.

Comment

May be mobile suits the dog. The noise and atmosphere of a shop may be what sets the dog off. I would keep grooming him unless you start to have problems, but since he was so good for his first groom (with you), I see no reason why you would have a problem.
          Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

I agree that this is prob (hopefully for you....lol) a dog that got super stressed in a salon atmosphere. It could also be that after the first naughty incident, the lady was honest w/prospective new groomers and that put a negative frame of mind into the whole grooming experience. That could possibly be what influenced those groomings to be failures.

Glad you didn't get bit though. You should have taken the owner to task for not being honest with you, even though the dog was good. Just imagine if it didn't work out and you were badly bitten cause you were not prepared for a brat. She could have had a nice dr bill to pay for you.
            SheilaB from SC

Comment

For future grooms take all precautions. This dog could be unpredictable and might turn. I'm not saying will, just might. Hopefully, you and the dog and the mobile scene is a good fit. Just be extra careful. PS I do feel it was wrong of the lady to not tell you up front about the dog's grooming history. I would not like that. She should have warned you imo.That would be the right thing to do. What if something happened that could of been prevented had you known?
              www.gomobileandsucceed.com
              http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Lots of my housecall clients are grooming shop rejects. I think the stress and noise of a shop may be too much for them. They are ok with the one on one of a housecall groom. The lady SHOULD have told you of the dogs issues before the groom. I always ask if they have health or behavioral issues before the groom. Most people are honest with me. Hopefully, the dog likes moble, and you are her new best friend!

Comment

Temperament issues

For your own safety; you should always make it a habbit to ask; during the phone interview....if the pooch has any "anger management" issues that you need to be aware of. Your hands are your source of income; why chance it. I made a mistake; once...of taking on a Miniature Schnauzer that the owners were very upfront about having fierce issues with groomers. I allowed my ego to take over thinking that I could overcome any problem...and with a bag of treats in hand...yes; it worked. But only for the first groom. The dog looked awesome and the owners were freaked out. But......the second groom...I got nailed badly on the finger. So......no more ego...no more chances and a lot more questions during the phone interview with the client.

Poochlady

Comment

Different approach...

I know this is a crazy way to look at it, but I would rather not know if a dog is agressive! If I know they may bite, I'm more nervous, not as calm, and may aggitate the dog more. You could have had a great groom because you were relaxed and so was the pup! Try to forget all she told you by the next time you groom her. Good job!

Comment

I think you're right. You know I was just thinking about this and that dog was staring me in the eyes for at least the first thirty minutes that I had her. In fact when I tried positioning her she kept her stare right in my eyes. Not threatening though. I wonder if she had had so many bad experiences in the past if she was trying to decide if she could trust me or not? Finally she stopped staring at me and by the time I got to the scissoring she stood like a statue. She fussed a little for her nails but never a growl or a snap. I tell you something else too I think the mama was so anxious about the whole thing that she got sick. All I know is when I took her back in I couldn't get the lady to the door so I stepped in the back door and called out to her and I could hear her in the bathroom. I think what I'm going to do when it's time to go back I'll give her a call a day or 2 ahead of time and ask her to talk to her really positively about me coming so it feels like something fun is going to happen. That might help keep us on the right track. I don't know if it will stay good if the Mama is so worried about it to the point of making herself sick. I did reassure her though that I would be kind to her baby and if there were any problems I would let her know. I think she is a potentially good client for me. You know the other mobile in my area refused her because she was a llasa. I really want it to stay good so I'm keeping positive thoughts. I do appreciate everyone's opinions and thoughts and ideas on this.
                      ~*~Robin~*~
                      "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Comment

Originally posted by alabamagroomer View Post
                        I know this is a crazy way to look at it, but I would rather not know if a dog is aggressive! If I know they may bite, I'm more nervous, not as calm, and may agitate the dog more. You could have had a great groom because you were relaxed and so was the pup! Try to forget all she told you by the next time you groom her. Good job!
                        Actually very true- the dogs smell the adrenaline fear emits and react to it- chew some stinky gum next time...

Comment

We do a few dogs in our shop that have been sent away from other places. A few of them are really good, and a few have a couple things they are just not fond of. I think it has a lot to do with patience. Dogs are very sensitive to our feelings of stress and anxiety. I think that the more patient you are, the more cooperative the dog will be I do think that she maybe should have given you a little bit of a heads up though...

Comment

Working...
                          X