Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My customers are saying their dogs start stratching after their groom here? Newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My customers are saying their dogs start stratching after their groom here? Newbie

My customers are telling me that a couple days after their dog is groomed at my shop that it starts itching and scratching itself.

I run an immaculate shop, clean every always... everyone loves it. I am using Ryan's Desert shampoos. I mix them with water once a week. I have them in closed shampoo bottles. I use remoisturizer afterward (Espree).

What am I doing that a problem? Is it the shampoo I am using. I can tell you that in our local area alot of people talk in general about their dogs always itching and they can't figure out why...

I'm concerned I will lose clients .... they love their grooms and the dogs run to get in the door.... Help...... Any ideas?

I'm not entirely sure. but...

it may be better to mix the shampoo each day, rather than once a week. I was told where I used to work that bacteria can build up once it's mixed with water, so the mixed bottles had to be dumped every night. Has anyone else heard this?

Comment

Originally posted by kated View Post
      it may be better to mix the shampoo each day, rather than once a week. I was told where I used to work that bacteria can build up once it's mixed with water, so the mixed bottles had to be dumped every night. Has anyone else heard this?
      That is what I was going to say. Keyray did a study on that exact thing. Bacteria grows ridiculously fast. We mix shampoo daily, and lots f times we mix enough for one dog at a time so as not to waste any.

Comment

Could be anything

I've heard the same thing about mixing shampoo and leaving it sit. If you use a bathing system are you cleaning it out every night. Bacteria will build up in those as well. Do you have any hypo allergenic shampoos if it's not every dog and only a few here and there then it could be that they may be sensitive to that particular brand of shampoo. I've got one dog that can only have one brand of fragrance free dye free shampoo used on him or he'll dig himself raw. It took us forever to find this out. Not sure what else to tell you. Did you ask if the owners were applying any flea product after the groom quite a few of my clients will use their grooming appointments are a reminder to apply frontline or one of the other brands, they may not even have thought of mentioning it. Some dogs will be irritated by those products. Good luck.
        "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt,
        and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck
        www.wagmoresalon.com

Comment

mix shampoo daily and be very, very sure it is rinsed out well.

Comment

Try switching brands. I've NEVER had a complaint on Best Shot or EZ Groom. I have had complaints if I use something with citrus.

Comment

Ditto what others have said, but I think you should try another shampoo.
              Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Besides what everyone here already said, I don't like the Desert shampoos at all. My opinion was they were more an economy brand and I would be surprised if that was drying out your clients skin/coat
                What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Anyone considered the water?? Hard water can be really drying to the skin. Even some public water needs softening. Oregon, how are your hands after a day of shampooing? Or your bather's hands? Dry or itchy or splitting skin?

Comment

What do you clean with and wash towels in ? I agree with everyone about shampoo as well as water, but I am sensitive to detergent and some cleaning supplies. Do not use fabric sheets on the towels, and try one of the allergy detergents.
                    ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

I'm glad you brought this up. I think it may be that the dog is allergic to the Espree conditioner. I always use it on every dog but only one shih tzu has problems with itching a day or so after I groom him. The last groom (a couple of weeds ago) I just barely put some on him and didn't let it set very long. I called the owner (just now) to see how he did and he told me that the dog just scratched a little but not anything like normal. So next time, I'm cutting out the conditioner and see if takes care of the itching all together.

Comment

I would say 97-98% of the time, when a client complains of itching right after the groom it is a rinsing issue. I would switch off the deserts as previously suggested. Make sure to clean and dry towels every time and rinse, rinse rinse. I rinse like a fool, nobody ever itches (it has been 3 plus years since anyone complained). If the dog feels rinsed, I rinse one more time.

Comment

It could also be if you bath then clip and don't blow the coat off. You know how you feel after you get a hair cut!

Comment

Aside from being more careful with the shampoo mixing, is this just recent? Seasonal allergies are in the air here and a lot of doggies get a little itchy around this time of year, but we are in Arizona.

Comment

The first thing I thought of was also a seasonal deal. Here in MS we have had one of the highest pollen counts we can recall in YEARS! A LOT of my dogs suddenly started itching (before and after grooming) and I've been using the same wonderful shampoo since I've been open (B3... man I love that stuff!). My baby chinese crested also had a life threatening allergic reaction to something immediately after the weather got warmer that put her in the hospital for 3 days, and we're pretty sure it has to do with the CLOUDS of yellow pollen that just started floating in.

Even though pollen is usually and inhalant allergy, it makes doggies have itchy skin where it would make us sniffle and all that good stuff. Grooming or scrubbing a dog with these allergies might be irritating a problem that was already there (think of scratching a mosquito bite).

You might call a few vets in your area and ask if they are seeing more itchy cases than usual, and maybe they can help you come up with a few lines to give your clients when they complain. I would still consider changing products and double checking that you rinsed it well enough, but if you continue to see itchiness I'd try to inform clients that you have addressed this issue to the best of your ability.

If you express concern and come across as knowledgeable and confident, your clients will understand!

Comment

Working...
                              X