Im so upset! tell me if this is ok..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im so upset! tell me if this is ok..

Im a salon manager at a local salon. On my day off (monday) another groomer comes in from a sister salon and covers it for me. When i got back on tuesday, my stuff felt kindof hinky (wasnt put back right, blah blah) so i checked the video...the girl that was covering brought nothing of her own, instead using my clippers...my blades...my brushes...my....SHEARS. Ive recently bought several beautiful pairs of shears, and not one of them is cutting right...got them to my sharpener last night and he said he thought i knew better than to cut dirty dogs with such nice brand new shears. I have her dropping my stuff (NOT on the saftey matt) tossing my new blenders in a drawer with force...and the best part of this is, 24 minutes into her shift....i have her literally, breaking into my locked drawers. I was wondering if it was just an etiquette thing, to never touch someones grooming tools? or if its a common rule that should be respected. I dont know what to do, but id like to "take her to the back. since i cant, im just going to write her up. But i want to make sure other people really think that tools are a nono unless given permission...or if im just crazy anal about my ****.

Touching other people's grooming tools especially expensive blades, shears and such and leaving them dirty and yuck and causing damage to them is a big no no. Actually breaking into a locked box should be grounds for serious discipline and she should be paying for the sharpening of your shears that she has been using on dirty dogs (or at least part of it).

I stopped lending my stuff out at places I worked at because they never had the courtesy to treat it right or clean it when done with it.

Comment

Your things are your things, you paid for them and no other groomer should ever touch them without express permission. End of story. My groomer and I will borrow things from each other from time to time. She's forgotten her stuff, I've forgotten mine, but we always ask one another. I have no problem sharing as long as the person has the decency to ask, and if they did break or damage anything to tell me and offer to pay for the repair/replacement. And breaking into a locked compartment goes WAY beyond crossing the line. I would be fuming mad and when I managed a salon for a corporate store I might just chalk that up to theft and fire them on the spot. If not, and I was in charge of their schedule, they'd be getting all of 3 hours a week until they quit.
      What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

It sounds like you should let her know to bring her own things and then hand her the bill for sharpening and stuff. It would be called breaking and entering into your stuff since you did have it locked up. You are the manager- is there anyone above you. I would go to them and nip this in the butt.

Comment

respecting others' property is/was taught in kindergarten.

If the video was of Me, you would have seen a different video with me using all of my own things and even bringing in my C.V. NOBODY touches my stuff! Can you show the video to the big boss? Breaking into your locked box is IMO grounds for dismissal. had there been money in it, that would be gone too I'm betting. No second chances here. In the future, I'd carry my shears and valuables in a case to take to and from home. Can't be too careful.

Comment

I would take your stuff home with you on your days off until this is all cleared up just in case. And yes, you should be fuming mad, that is a lot of money you have put into your tools.

Comment

I think it's pretty obvious that she's wrong when she started BREAKING INTO your locked whatever in order to help herself. At the veeeeeeeeeeery least, that's vandalism.
              There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

I am not yet a groomer, but..

I would not do what she did. When I worked in a corporate store, I did not touch anything that belonged to the groomers without permission. If she was in an office and broke into someone's desk, she would probably be fired. It seems like she should be fired, but there are probably some steps you have to go through, since it is a corporate store. You should definitely give her the bill for the sharpening. I think you are perfectly justified in being upset. Good luck!

Comment

Let me make sure I've got this right. You are the shop manager. You caught an employee stealing. And you don't know how to proceed? You are the shop manager. Part of that job is to make hard decisions. But this seems to me and sounds like everyone else here to be very clear. She broke into a locked case. What do you think the police call that?

Comment

I agree with everyone else here, and I'll take it a step further. You're the salon manager, right? Does that mean you have managerial authority? It should. In which case write her up, present her with the sharpener's bill, and take her off the schedule until it's paid.

In some stores breaking into a locked storage container would be grounds for dismissal. It might even be a criminal offense. I don't know what your policy is on that, but it's something to look into.

Comment

When I use to work at petsomething it was a BIG no no to use other groomer's stuff. You did not touch their things without permission and you certainly did no break into their locked cabinet. If a manager ever caught a groomer getting into another groomer's things that was grounds for dismissal. I would look into it...I would at the very least make her pay your sharpening bill. I would also make sure to report it to a higher manager and to her salon manager to make sure they can keep an eye on her. She should know better.

Comment

Wow that is so unprofessional I would never think to use something that belonged to someone else unless I had permission. It seems that is an unwritten rule between groomers. I agree with everyone here this is a serious problem that needs to be addressed. What a huge no no.
                        "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt,
                        and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck
                        www.wagmoresalon.com

Comment

How horrible!

A few months after I started working at the vet hospital I'm at now I came in and found a few of my brushes and SEVERAL pairs of my shears sitting in the tub in my salon...wet and caked with hair. It's darn good thing it was near lunch time and no clients were in because I grabbed the salon manager, marched to the treatment room where all the vets and techs were, and went OFF. I got the most amazed, shocked looks because I'd always been really chipper, willing to help or lend stuff out, and not much of a talker. I just can't understand the absolute gall it takes to not only rummage through someone else's possessions but then use then in a way that ruins them as well! Rawr!

Comment

its definately not ok to touch someone elses tools,if someone asks me if they can use something thats one thing but to just go through your stuff is not ok at all

Comment

I don't think I'd write her up I think I'd fire her. I'd also let her know breakiing into someone's locked cabinet is a crime.. I'd be beyond angry. She obviously has no respect for you or your things so why would you want to keep her around. How is it you say it S.N.P. ?????? "Kank" to the curb.

Comment

Working...
                              X