Another cocker problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another cocker problem

I am at my chiropractor's office for my adjustment and in comes a young lady and sit's down. My Dr comes out and say's oh bye the way can you groom my two pugs next week. Why sure dr. they are super sweet dogs, and a breeze to boot. The young lady says,oh your a groomer huh??? Well she goes on to tell me she needs a groomer for her two year old cocker spaniel, who by the way has NEVER been groomer. She really is a mess. I never had dogs, but my husband did when he was a boy, LOL. She saw this cute puppy and the PUPPY STORE aka mill, and bought her two years ago. Now she needs a groomer. Do you guys think I should just recomend she sees a vet for the first groom!! She said she tryed to groom her herself but cut her, It's healed now but she can't get near her with the shears anymore. Can't imagine that. What do you guys think. She hasen't called me yet. Thank God!!

O my, I like you suggestion about the sending the dog to the vet for first groom.

Comment

I'd probably give her a try if she calls for an appt, but put the dog at the end of the day so you will have plenty of time to work with her if she is nervous or difficult. Tell the owner up front, that you will do your best, but if the dog has never had a grooming experience other than when she was injured, that you may not be able to complete the groom or do as nice of a job as you would like to do, HOWEVER you expect to be paid in full for the amt of time that you spend working with the dog. The quality of the groom depends a lot on the cooperation of the dog...

Who knows, she may be an absolute baby doll when she gets on your table, or she could be the dog from hell - you never know..I guess Forrest Gump said it best "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get" Just substitue the word Grooming for the word Life...

Good luck if you try the cocker!

Comment

I've never owned a dog, but I thought I could groom this one...UGH !

If you have this ladies' ph #, I'd call her and tell her the difficulties involved with grooming a 2yr. old dog that has never been PROFESSIONALLY groomed before, not to mention one that has been injured by the owner! I'd be real honest and up-front about the damage she has done to the dog in regards to his accepting any grooming.

I would take this opportiunity to do a bit of educating the owner. Have her come to see your shop when you are grooming other normal/ well behaved dogs. Allow her the time to observe what the process is and what the dog needs to be able to do; stand and be still. Make it very clear to her that it may be hard to train an older dog that is not familiar with the steps we need to take thru-out the day for a dog to be groomed.

When she does visit, she can bring the dog so that it can also see and smell the environment. I wouldn't schedule an appt. until AFTER she stops in just to visit and observe. If you do decide to try and groom this untrained dog... (ugh a cocker no less), I would schedule it when you have no other dogs around, either before your 1st dog or the last one. Give him plenty of time to get relaxed and familiar with you and your shop. But if it really freaks out, call the owner and send him to the vet.

good luck,
        sittingpretty

Comment

I'd take it. You might be surprised. I've groomed dogs that hadn't been groomed before and they were great...and then I've had dogs that hadn't been groomer before and they were...not great. But it doesn't hurt to try...why not? Once you start the dog if it's ungroomable you can tell her that but I certainly wouldn't turn it away without even trying...
          Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

It's always a toss up. I've had 2 yr olds that have never been groomed be hellions, and I've had 'em be angels. Depends on the dog. I'm a little hesitant to suggest a vet right off the bat because you DON'T KNOW if she's going to be bad.

I'm always very honest. Tell her exactly how you feel and what she has done by waiting so long. Charge her enough to make it worth your while. See if she would be willing to come in on a 4-6 weeks basis for awhile to get Fluffy used to being groomed. Don't try and save coat if she's matted. I would schedule her for a big block of time knowing she might be wiggly but not refuse her outright just based on that info. My motto is I'll always try anything ONCE. Remember, you always reserve the right to send her home should she become a danger to herself. At that point, yeah, I'd definitely send her to a vet.

If you get squeamy I hear Helly's lookin' for new clients.
            There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

Send it away, you'll be happier

Good God, what a PITA that would be!!

Not worth the effort, the trouble, the once-every-year-or-two grooming; yes, suggest the vet in case it needs an extra person or a tranquilizer.

Comment

I did a seven hundred pound cocker today that hasn't been groomed in over a year. Was a great work out for me. We played push and pull for a couple of hours. But I can't get the picture out of my head of his back fat body and floppy ears running full force back down the gravel road to his owner. He was one happy tubbo (and the owner scheduled for another six weeks out).

Comment

1st time grooms not my fav

I really dislike doing 1st times on older dogs. I have some that go fine but most of them do not go well. I had a 8 mon old huge min schn. today totally matted because he won't let mom brush him Didn't go very well I had to hand scissor his face as best I could. Could not get near the front half of his body with my clippers. I had another last week 18 month old first haircut that had to go home unfinished som my score has not been high latley.

Comment

I have found that many neglected dogs are really not that hard to manage (in my personal experience). Perhaps they are glad to get rid of their "burdens" (body cast of hair & mats), or maybe they are just so unfamiliar with the process, they are not quite sure how to respond to the stimuli of a grooming salon and the grooming process itself. Of course, there have been exceptions, but for the most part this has been my experience. Had two yesterday as a matter of fact and both turned out well It's a gratifying task to give such relief to a neglected, LOVED pet.

You just never know in your case how that poor dog will react, but I'd say give it a shot and charge accordingly!

Comment

I agree with having the dog come at the end of the day appointment and check it out and see what kind of personally it has. I've been surprised by older dogs, some are very good and laid back so don't just throw her to the side might turn out to be a very nice customer.

Comment

Working...
                      X