Labs/Shedding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labs/Shedding

Please help. I've got a Black Lab that the owner insists comes every 2 weeks. The owner is very nice about this, but she constantly brings up that she's still shedding just days after I've groomed her. Believe me I spend a lot of time on her, I deshed til there's no more hair coming out. I use Furminator Deshedding Shampoo on her and I condition her with Best Shot, plus put Pet Silk Serum on her. She's very very shiny. They give her fish oil. I don't know what other routes to take. Do you think it could be because she's not spade? She's also in and out of a work truck in the woods all day and it gets cold up here. Could it be the transition from the heat of the truck to the outdoors? I'm at a loss. I know labs are shedders but she seems to be worse than others and she's not even a thicker furred one. The vet says she's healthy. Any advice on what else I can do would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Short hair sheds faster than long hair. Period. It just reaches the end of it's life cycle sooner.
    "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
    People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Personallly, I don't think there is anythig else you can do on your end. Labs shed, some more than others.
      What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

Every living thing in this world will loose hair, fur, and even feathers. it is part of nature. shesh even the owner sheds. You can help keep the amount down, but there is no way to stop it fully. I groom several german shedders- aka shepards. the owners know that i can help them control the amount but i can not stop the shedding fully. there just is no way.

Comment

Find out what they feed. Regardless of them giving fish oil, no supplement is going to make up for a bad diet.

If you've done everything else, it's time to address the diet.

Comment

Half the Labs I groom get shaved with a 10 (even in winter) because they drop coat all day long like confetti and their owners can't stand it. Just explain to her that most Labs have a non stop shedding cycle all year round, and they shed more than most any other breed.

Comment

Maybe someone else on here can elaborate, but it seems like, at least in my own experience, dogs that haven't been spayed shed differently/less than those that are unaltered. My mom's BMDs shed ALL their hair out 2x a year with their seasons (like, they look like smooth coated dogs), but I don't think they do that as much after being spayed.

Comment

It's possible that being intact is part of the problem. Bitches blow coat after they've been in season. And if she's inside, artificial light can also trigger excessive shedding. Sometimes too frequent grooming can keep 'em shedding, too because the bath and deshedding stimulates the hair follicles, and they aren't getting a chance to calm down. On top of that, Labs shed. A lot. One of the most sheddingest critters I've ever seen.

Some things can be corrected; they could have her spayed (not spade, that's a small shovel). They could keep her out of rooms that are lit after the sun goes down (not practical, I know). They can try supplements like ShedStop, which I don't have a clue if they work or not. They can cut the grooms down to once a month and see if that helps. Or they can just learn to grin while they sweep.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart-n-Pretty View Post
                  Short hair sheds faster than long hair. Period. It just reaches the end of it's life cycle sooner.
                  Labs don't necessarily have short hair. They have flat hair. There's a difference. Dobermans and smooth Dachshunds have short hair.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Helly, you're too funny, and she's my friend, so I am going to tell her to grin while she sweeps! She'll laugh!

Comment

Originally posted by SwissNChow View Post
                      Find out what they feed. Regardless of them giving fish oil, no supplement is going to make up for a bad diet.

If you've done everything else, it's time to address the diet.
                      I agree, it could be as simple as feeding a good food.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                        Labs don't necessarily have short hair. They have flat hair. There's a difference. Dobermans and smooth Dachshunds have short hair.
                        That made me laugh. I have to bite my tongue when people say they want their dog "short, like a lab"... and I'm thinking.. but labs fur can be like 3-4 inches long in some places!! I won't say it, though..

Jessie

Comment

I saw a HUGE difference in my labs shedding when she went on a grain free diet. She wasn't even on a bad diet before the grain free. I would ask about food and recommend a switch to grain free. I can't explain it but we went from sweeping daily to sweeping every three days If she isn't she should brush daily instead of relying on baths to remove hair. If she brushes daily she will remove a bulk of the hair that she would be sweeping up. Its not a solution but it would make her life easier and less hairier. I use a rubber brush on my short haired lab and that removes more hair than a furminator or brush does.

Comment

[QUOTE=Helly;403011] Sometimes too frequent grooming can keep 'em shedding, too because the bath and deshedding stimulates the hair follicles, and they aren't getting a chance to calm down.

That's what I was thinking.

Comment

I like what everyone else here has said too, but wanted to toss this in because I was amazed at them, and for shedding dogs they are great!

Roombas are wonderful - the sweeper that goes on its own! I had one that ran every night when I was asleep, I had 6 dogs and 3 cats at the time, it was wonderful. Get the best one though, and hopefully from Costco because when/if they quit working Costco will replace it, over & over. I saw them there last week for about $250 - $290, forget which. BUT they are WORTH it.

Comment

Working...
                              X