Girl her up i.e. De-gerbilize her

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girl her up i.e. De-gerbilize her

Ahh, I had a wonderful evening. One of my favorite clients called me last week to tell me she was picking up her new Havenese puppy and wanted to set an appointment for her and her male Havanese I've done many times. So tonight was the night. Her son, the first time he met Mia, asked his mom "You paid HOW MUCH for a gerbil?" LOL. So when I got there I was introduced to a gorgeous, though tiny, chocolate Havanese. She is 10 months old and has never had a hair cut. She was still with the breeder up until my client got her. Her male is from the same breeder in Denver (Her husband works in Denver and they live in NY so they commute a lot). At 10 months she is maybe 6-8 pounds, so tiny, with at least 7 inches of hair. A few little tangles in the arm pits and that was it! The breeder had wanted to breed her until she realized she couldn't show her because of her size, so she has been fixed and now has a wonderful home. Mom told me she was a very nervous girl and wouldn't go to anyone but her at this point. She did WONDERFULLY for the groom. As long as I went slowly she didn't startle at anything. I did a #0 lamb trim with a teddy head, and then took "girling her up" to the extreme. I couldn't help it, I never get to do it with Rio, her male. So I have some of those cute neck scrunchies that look like petals, mine are pink and purple. So she got one of those. Then I added two purple feather bows with rhinestones followed by a coat of purple nail polish and finsihed off with a nice sprtize of some girly doggie perfume. Her mom laughed and just loved it all. She even kept the feathers on the rest of the night! I've never done a chocolate Havanese before and I love doing puppies, especially when they are as good as she was. So I brought her in and announced that she was officially De-gerbilized and no one was allowed to refer to her as that anymore LOL.
    Her mom may not tell me to girl her up again LOL, but I had fun and her mom is such a sweetheart. She was snapping pictures of her and emailing them out to her husband (who is back in Denver) and the breeder. I also gave her a lock of hair from her first groom as I figured she probably had a puppy book for her.
    I love nights like these when grooming is just FUN and the owners love the results.
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

make sure to take some pics next time, i would love to see a choc colored one. Its weird because all of my havanese clients are male too lol

Comment

I groom a chocolate havanese. He has the most beautiful green eyes! Lucky for me he decided he liked me better than the other groomers in my salon. He used to be quite the little shark! He has not a single white hair anywhere.
      I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
      -Michelangelo

Comment

I have 1 female Havanese that I groom but all the others are boys, isnt that strange? The one little girl really doesnt look like a Havanese, she looks more like some sort of Havanese/Poodle Mix, but her mom says she is a full Havanese....she is waaaay too leggy and long bodied for a true Havanese....with a real curly coat...

Comment

I used to groom one. Hasn't been in for a good 2 yrs now, and it was a boy.

Wonder what ever happened to the guy? I emailed her a couple years ago about a groom, but she never answered my email. Guess he is going somewhere else to be groomed.
          "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
          Diane

Comment

A lot of them have that waay curly coat; the exhibitors tend to cord those since they mat so badly.
            I had one in a few weeks back, not a tangle anywhere; wonderful silky coat, it was a girl; tho I have done way more males than females over the years.

Comment

Isn't it odd that we all have done a lot more males than females in the Havenese? I wonder if its just coincidence or if there are actually a lot more males in a litter than females? HMMMM...

Comment

I actually did a quick check on my system, and I have more TOTAL male (dog) clients than females... I only have the one havanese and she's a girl who is kept immaculate at home (I just trim eyes feet & sanitary) but out of ALL my dogs, I have more boys than girls... hmm

Comment

tiny havenese

I have one tiny girl I do and she is a joy! We tried to let her grow but the coat was just too soft for the family lifestyle so she is kept very short now. The other ones I do are all so much bigger. The coats are horrors... owners don't have the time patience or know how- can you say Puppy Cut??????
                  The was a corded Havenese at Westminster this year... first time I ever saw one - but totally understandable

Comment

Originally posted by flyingduster View Post
                    I actually did a quick check on my system, and I have more TOTAL male (dog) clients than females... I only have the one havanese and she's a girl who is kept immaculate at home (I just trim eyes feet & sanitary) but out of ALL my dogs, I have more boys than girls... hmm
                    Well, I'm guessing it may be like people. You actually have more of a chance to have a boy than a girl because the sperm carrying the Y chromosome swim faster. We X Chromosomes are heavier and are the slow and steady ones that sometimes win the race. I don't know for sure that it's the same with dogs, but it would make sense to me.
                    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Working...
                    X