Is the boutique owner that I am grooming in ripping me off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • D'tails
    Standard Member & Club 1,000
    • Aug 2009

Eons ago when I was applying at shops. 50% was standard and some offered 40% if they were supplying a lot of tools or health insurance.

At 50% I do not belive she is making a killing off of you. Expenses and supplies cost a lot of cash. My kennel and shop is tied into my home's electric, and my electric bill went from 400.00 per mo, to 1,400.00 over the winter. I also had to invest in a 1,500.00 dollar plow to keep my lane clear. Expenses add up fast on the business owning end.

Comment

• Nadu
      Puppy Member
      • May 2009

Helly's idea is spot on.

Comment

• mylady
        Grand Champion & Club 5,000
        • Oct 2007

What you have to realize is that the boutique owner is NOT making half of what you bring in. After expenses, most owners may make about 20% off of their employee. Would you work for 20% commission? Most wouldn't. If you didn't make the boutique owner any money, what motivation would she have to employ you? She supplies more than most salon owners I have worked for. Most do not pay for sharpening not do they supply all the tools. On average, a salon owner will supply the consumables, like shampoo, ear cleaner, cotton balls, etc and also things like the table, arm, etc. Groomers typically priovide their own clippers, shears, blades, brushes, etc and are expected to maintain their equipment themselves. IF you would like a GH and think it would really help I would advise you purchase your own. Then if you ever leave you can take it with you.
        What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

• windfall4
          Miniature Member
          • Jan 2008

I'm gonna tell you the same thing as everyone else on here...50% is pretty standard. If you really sit down and add up all of the expenses that go into dog grooming you'd be surprised. The owner isn't making much money off of you. Yes you do help bring in people to buy things from the boutique, but that is probably part of the reason why the owner offers grooming...to help her retail sales. I don't think you should ask for a raise unless you've been there for quite a while. Even then you should only ask for maybe 5% more.
          Helly is right, you should consider raising your prices. That way you get a raise and the owner gets a raise.
          If she is paying to have your blades sharpened and is providing most of the equipment and shampoo, etc etc...you've got it pretty good. I wouldn't complain if I were you. The owner depends more on her retail sales than she does your grooming sales. She wouldn't be able to turn much of a profit if it wasn't for the retail part of the store.

Comment

• OntheBRINKofDisaster
            Champion Member & Club 1,000
            • Nov 2009

Wow...if you are unhappy, where do you work?

(Just kidding, love my place! But I agree w/ everyone else, you've got a good thing goin.)
            There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

Working...
            X