Extinct dog breeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extinct dog breeds

It was funny that shortly after 4Sibes' experience with a dog that has apparently has traveled forward in time in order to escape the extinction of its breed The Dog Guide posted this article on extinct dog breeds. They actually mention the English White Terrier in it! Quite a few of them are very interesting, though, like the Salish Wool Dog and the Hawaiian Poi Dog. A fun read at least.

http://www.dogguide.net/blog/2010/03...ct-dog-breeds/

Originally posted by AMelena View Post
    It was funny that shortly after 4Sibes' experience with a dog that has apparently has traveled forward in time in order to escape the extinction of its breed
    Very well worded AMelena! Way better than I was able to come up with!

That was a fun read. The Bear Dogs were especially fascinating to me...they kind of resemble a Basenji-for-bear-hunter....

I've always been intrigued by Chinooks, which nearly became extinct, and swear one day I'm going to have one.
    Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Very interesting, thanks for posting it!
      ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

I really love the terrifying poorly-stuffed dogs they had in some of the pics. Nightmare creators there!

Comment

Happa Dogs were simply smooth Pekingese.

Back in the Good Old Days of dog breeding ( well before DNA testing was around ) there were a lot of variations found in breeds. There were smooth Pekes and rough Pugs. There were also wirehaired Beagles, rough Bassets and wirehaired Whippets.

One "extinct" breed I am surprised they did not mention was the Clydesdale Terrier - basically a small Skye with a Yorkie coat and color on it.

Comment

Originally posted by sarahliz View Post
            I really love the terrifying poorly-stuffed dogs they had in some of the pics. Nightmare creators there!
            This may be a first for me but man those creeped me out lol. Its strange to read about what some dogs were kept for back then. I cannot imagine my dogs doing anything but lounging on the couch and trying to "clean" the cats.

Comment

Apparently the Dogo Cubano is another one of those time travelers, seeing as they said the breed died out from being crossed with Dogo Argentinos. The only problem with that is the Cubano was most likely extinct (died out with the abolishion of slavory) quite a few years before the Argentinos came into existence.

Argentinos are relatively recent. The breed was developed in the 1930s.

Comment

This is very interesting! I was actually at a Cavalier meeting and one of the guest speakers stated that it was their belief- based on the current rising health issues with Cavaliers- that they were looking at becoming an extinct breed. Now, this was an educated opinion, but still a stretch, however,,it made me really sad to think about! The extinction of certain breeds of dogs is a really interesting topic, and a loaded one to boot.
                Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
                www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Thank you for posting this. I found it very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by windywaycavaliers View Post
                    This is very interesting! I was actually at a Cavalier meeting and one of the guest speakers stated that it was their belief- based on the current rising health issues with Cavaliers- that they were looking at becoming an extinct breed. Now, this was an educated opinion, but still a stretch, however,,it made me really sad to think about! The extinction of certain breeds of dogs is a really interesting topic, and a loaded one to boot.
                    Windy, I hope I can make sense out of this. A few years back the AKC opened their stud book and allowed the importation of several Baseji type dogs from Africa to help bolster the bloodlines of that breed, because the gene pool was so narrowed, and they were facing somewhat the same problem.

I know the Cavaliers are not in quite the same situation, but is there any way at all to infuse new blood into the breed that the AKC would allow?

Comment

I don't think that they will allow mixing a bit of something else in, just look at low uric acid dalmatians. They did tons of work and bred in a bit of pointer, then got the dogs back to breed standard (though their spots are a touch smaller sometimes). They are beautiful dogs and impeccably bred (better than a lot of akc registered dals) and have a significantly lower occurrence of the uric acid problems that plague the breed. They are 14 generations in and have been working on this since the 70s (though it was nearly non-existent by 2005 before it was resumed) and the dals are genetically 99.8% dalmatian. Will the AKC accept them? Nope. I think that many are UKC registered champions though.

Oh, and did I mention that I really really want one? (a dal not a ckcs)

Comment

Originally posted by sarahliz View Post
                        I don't think that they will allow mixing a bit of something else in, just look at low uric acid dalmatians. They did tons of work and bred in a bit of pointer, then got the dogs back to breed standard (though their spots are a touch smaller sometimes). They are beautiful dogs and impeccably bred (better than a lot of akc registered dals) and have a significantly lower occurrence of the uric acid problems that plague the breed. They are 14 generations in and have been working on this since the 70s (though it was nearly non-existent by 2005 before it was resumed) and the dals are genetically 99.8% dalmatian. Will the AKC accept them? Nope. I think that many are UKC registered champions though.
                        The Dal folks were dopes in how they went about this "experiment" of theirs, mixing in Pointer blood to get rid of the uric acid problem in the breed.

What they should have done was what happened in a number of breeds in the past - you just go out behind the barn, do the crossings and don't bother to let the AKC in on it. There are times the less the AKC knows, the better.

Welsh Terrier breeders crossed their dogs with Wire Fox and Irish any number of times. They simply kept silent on it and got the job done. Yep, you got a certain number of big 'uns and spotted pups, but the crossings kept the breed from becoming too inbred.

Now the Dal people are stuck - DNA testing and all that.

He who hesitates is lost.

Comment

In the past AKC HAS allowed the infusion of new blood in breeds that were in peril. The Basenji isn't the first, just the most recent. It's all in how you go about it. I believe the parent club presented their evidence and had approval BEFORE they undertook importing the African dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                            In the past AKC HAS allowed the infusion of new blood in breeds that were in peril. The Basenji isn't the first, just the most recent. It's all in how you go about it. I believe the parent club presented their evidence and had approval BEFORE they undertook importing the African dogs.
                            Hard to say "no" to Damara and Company. The African Stock Project (as I recall) makes for a great read, from an individual with a true passion for the breed and a desire to "save" it from the perils of forced inbreeding (due to limited AKC recognized stock initially).

I hope the AKC never loses sight of the fact that some breeds continuously NEED to "evolve", ....again,... to be able to perform the function they were originally designed to do, and undo the effects of those who have influential, yet devastating effects on their specific breed.

Some breeds are unquestionably locked into devolution... sometimes, the Great All-Determining Dog Gods..well nevermind...they are only "listening' to the Breed Clubs anyway............ [climbing off soapbox before I even get started...]...
                            Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

The article was very good. However they missed the Mexican street dog. I have one of these. Very rare breed. I call it a Standard Chihuahua.. Looks like a German shephard in the coat color and markings. but with long legs, and only weighing about 35-40 lbs. You can see them all over Mexico rooting thru trash. I found mine in a local pound., Nobody knew what she really was. That was 13 yrs ago. Before the designer craze. I bet now they will try to breed them like her because she really is the most awesome dog in the world. Sorry. but you can't have the recipe of what she is made of. I contacted the Breeder Authority on these "Steet Dogs" And now I have official rights on it. So don't even bother trying to get it.
                              Sorry, but I am being totally silly tonight. I guess because the designer breeds stir up issues with me. When you really study dog breeds. You really get a sense of their utility. And why they are what they are. Or should I say what they are supposed to be. I really see very little of "what they are supposed to be" in my daily life as a groomer. I lost 2 standard poodles too soon. And I believe it is because of bad breeding. Off My soapbox too. Cuz I will say way too much.

Comment

Working...
                              X