Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worst cat grooming experience for both cat and groomer!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst cat grooming experience for both cat and groomer!!!!

I had a cat come in last night for a lion clip. The cutest flat faced thing you ever did see with orange eyes and black and orange hair. Started clipping her, she was an angel. Started to work on her legs and give her boots, then the tail started wagging in dismay. I knew I gotta get this done before all her patience were up! About a minute or 2 left in the groom, she bites her owner, freaks out and leaps onto the floor.

I have a human tub in my salon with a wooden stand that I built for it thats all enclosed except for the end. I quickly go to grab the cat and she's freaking out hissing and swatting and doing sommersaults. I ask the owner to grab a towel so I can somehow get her up off the floor while keeping most of my blood inside my body... I did not want her to run under that tub cause then I'd have to go crawl in after an angry cat in a dark hole, my worst nightmare! While struggling to calm her down and keep her in place, she slipped through my legs and she was gone underneath the tub.... Oh my god. I know kitties, I knew there was no getting her out of there even with her owner trying to coax her out.

With some stroke of luck tho, she crawled further in through another hole where my plumbing is. Out came the drill! I had to unscrew a bunch of panels, take off a baseboard, but we we able to get to her....she was full of dust and other unidentified debris.

I finally lassooed her out of there, and she was in dire need of a bath....she had peed herself, plus full of dust. So instead of just sending her home, letting her get over the trauma, I had to bathe her...she did great. I unfortunately did not have a muzzle suitable for a flat faced kitty, so during the blow dry she chomped on me good....wow was I ever thankful to be done with that! The owner asked if I needed help putting my tub back together...I just told her to get her frightened little girl home

I wish she would have had a better experience!

Note to self/ Lessons learned: Block the end of the tub, who cares if it is good for storage and get a muzzle for the flat faced kitties!

ouchies :-(

If you were bitten get yourself to the doctors BEFORE you have problems.... scared kitty can put you in the hospital if you dont get on antibotics asap. Which I figured you have done.

I am so sorry that you and the owner got bitten that is one of the worse things possible. Working with cats requires speed and the ability to know when the poor things are at their breaking point.. I honestly feel that not eveyone is able to deal with cats and it has nothing to do with thembeing a good groomer or not.. some people are jsut cat people and the cats know it.... I love grooming cats.. BUT not every cat I groom should be groomed some stress too much and when they start that tail twitch I send them home to be finished another day that is safest for me and for kitty.

hope you heal fast.

Comment

Sarah,
      Before attempting to groom another cat, take 4Sibes crash course in kitty grooming. The course is offered through this forum and is free--do a search. If you don't have time for that, then at least be sure to stock up on Mikes thingies.
      Last edited by BeeJL; 03-30-10, 03:46 PM. Reason: grammer

Comment

Where I used to work we had a cat climb up the back of the tub and get into the wall. There must have been a bit of space behind the tub we didn't know about. We were all freaked out, but luckily kitty made an appearance before we had to call the fire dept!

Comment

Sarah, Buy an air muzzle. It fits EVERY cat & will save your bacon. You can get it by private messaging catgroomer.
          Last edited by Smart-n-Pretty; 03-30-10, 01:15 PM. Reason: changed spelling of catgeroomer's handle
          "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
          People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Be careful before muzzling the brachiocyphalic cats (sorry if it's misspelled). When I worked for a vet I was never allowed to muzzle those because the vet was afriad of breathing difficulties. I think the air muzzle would be just fine though. They didn't have those when I worked there.
            I worked for a groomer who had a lady come in with a cat and when the owner handed the cat to the groomer the cat had a heart attack and died in the groomers arms in front of the client from the stress, and of course most likely an undiagnosed heart condition. So stress with cats is nothing to fool with. Just be careful and do get yourself checked. Cat bites are also, nothing to fool with.
            What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

I groom about 25 cats a year and though I would rather not, I'm the only groomer in the area that will. I have had success so far but some have been a struggle. I'm always afraid they are going to kick the bucket. If they seem really stressed I give them a break and then go back. I have gotten bit and scratched a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by mylady View Post
                Be careful before muzzling the brachiocyphalic cats (sorry if it's misspelled). When I worked for a vet I was never allowed to muzzle those because the vet was afriad of breathing difficulties. I think the air muzzle would be just fine though. They didn't have those when I worked there.
                I worked for a groomer who had a lady come in with a cat and when the owner handed the cat to the groomer the cat had a heart attack and died in the groomers arms in front of the client from the stress, and of course most likely an undiagnosed heart condition. So stress with cats is nothing to fool with. Just be careful and do get yourself checked. Cat bites are also, nothing to fool with.
                Thanks for the heads up about the flat face and the muzzles.. I assume brachipcyphalic means flat faced??

Thanks smartnpretty for the air muzzle suggestion, very curious to see what its like.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart-n-Pretty View Post
                  Sarah, Buy an air muzzle. It fits EVERY cat & will save your bacon.
                  I've run across cats that were just trash talkin' go completely ballistic when they had an air muzzle put on them, then calmed down when it was taken off.

So, the air muzzles aren't perfect for all situations.

Comment

I think it's a really bad idea to have the owner stay to help in any way. First, you are putting a large level of trust in the owner to restrain the pet. If they let go and you get hurt, you could be out work temporarily or permanently. If they get hurt, they could sue you for not protecting them from injury. Yes, this can happen. Had a client that sued his vet for letting him help hold his cat, cat got loose and bit owner, 3 yrs of hand surgeries, P.T., lost wages, pain & suffering the vet had to pay for.
                    Always be ready for worst case scenario, cats especially but dogs too, even if you've done them dozens of times with no incident. They are animals and you never know for sure what they are thinking. You go into every groom with confidence and self-assurance, but also be prepared. We get in our car every day and buckle our seatbelt. Not because we think we are going to have an accident but because we want to be safe if we are.
                    Last but not least, a detailed pet release form, read, understood and signed.
                    Hope you're bite isn't serious.

Comment

Look up "oh yee who groom kitties" sorry Sibes, but when another member needs you.....
                      ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Originally posted by BeeJL View Post
                        Sarah,
                        Before attempting to groom another cat, take 4Sibes crash course in kitty grooming. The course is offered through this forum and is free--do a search. If you don't have time for that, then at least be sure to stock up on Mikes thingies.
                        uh huh. youpoorthingyoumustbeoutof yourmindtogroomcats.theend.
                        Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

cutefaceorangeeyesblackandorangefur = tortiecatthingie = dangercatthingie = deathythingiewithlotsofbloodthingie.

In USA, refer all cats to catgroomer or Seleste.
                          In Canada, refer all cats to CatCrazy.
                          Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

E-collar and vet wrap. Don't leave home without it. And sometimes - ya just gotta know when to cry uncle.
                            Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
                            George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

Originally posted by Doubledogdare View Post
                              I've run across cats that were just trash talkin' go completely ballistic when they had an air muzzle put on them, then calmed down when it was taken off.

So, the air muzzles aren't perfect for all situations.
                              True, but, we already know this cat is not calm without a muzzle.
                              "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                              People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Working...
                              X