Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potentially THE WORST GROOM I've thought to embark on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potentially THE WORST GROOM I've thought to embark on.

The caller was specific and adamant. It is an English White Terrier.

Well, okie-dokie, as long as it's a dog...I'm good with that.

Not being familiar with the breed...I did a little research and thought I'd share. I always like to enlighten my fellow groomers.

Here's a little of what I found out.....and some of these are comments from The Kennel Club Gods themselves;

1. "Due to extensive inbreeding...a great propensity for deafness exists"
    2. "as a result of deafness....nearly useless in the field"
    3. "The most fragile and delicate of all Terriers"
    4. "not a sportsman's companion"
    5. "requires a considerable amount of cuddling and care"

Oh...and most importantly, due to the sum of the breed's "issues", the Kennel Club dropped them from the list of recognized breeds in the late 1800's, and they rapidly went to the "land of extinction". (Gee...wonder why?)

Sooo...here's what I'm surmising...the dog I am to groom is
    1. Deaf. (which is ok...i can handle that)
    2. Requires more "cuddling and care" than I typically include in a groom. (but I can work w/ that too...)
    3. Is likely ~ 114 years old, that's REAL years. (I can see where that would make it quite "fragile and delicate")
    4. Prolly has a horrible mouth, bad breath, abscessed, rotten teefs (see #3 for why that might be the case.)
    5. Or...could possibly even be dead and/or mummified. (Again, see #3 for why that might be the case, but now I am going to have
    REAL ISSUES with the "cuddling" part....)

I am thinking of skipping the whole Whitening Shampoo step on the dog...and going straight to undiluted bleach for a cleaner.
    The HVing scares me a little...as scraping parts off the walls and sticking them back on the dog (gorilla glue) is not completely appealing to me either. Prolly just use a crate and a fan on low.

Any thoughts, tips or experience with this breed will be handled with a great deal of skepticism...as it means that you have been grooming for over 110 years...and alot has changed.
    Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Use special care when opening the sarcophagus.
    "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
    People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

The picture of an English White Terrier on Wikipedia makes it look like a fat chihuahua. O.o My only suggestions can be to wear handling gloves and possibly have a bribe of cheese and/or cake handy.

Comment

Tip the taxidermist for helping out

Comment

A bribe of CAKE?!?! AH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAAA! OMG i might pee my pants!! Oh gawd SnP, you crack me up : )

Comment

just pray its a regular ole westie and the lady doesnt know her breeds

Comment

hehe. cute. Let us know what it turns out to be!

Comment

You know.....maybe I read the comments wrong?

Maybe it really said "as a result of deadness...nearly useless in the field"?

I think it was the "nearly useless" part that finally toppled me out of my chair. So it was just a wee bit "useful"??? As WHAT...game?
                Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Good luck!

I am sitting here laughing my a** off. My GSD is over here checking to see what is so funny! You are hilarious, 4-Sibes! Please post pictures when you meet this dog!

Comment

Oh God Sibes you are way too funny. Hope it turns out to be a Westie mix.

Comment

Well let's see...if it IS an EWT then according to #5 it's a pretty safe bet that it won't give ya much trouble in the tub and certainly won't dance around on the table,heck I'd even bet it would be good for it's nails....but Lordy I bet you're gonna SOOO need a gentle deodorizing shampoo!!

Comment

this is what I found on it, well one of them. many have been copied from Wikipedia
                        http://chestofbooks.com/animals/dogs...e-Terrier.html

I think it resembles the Manchester terrier . it is described as a similar to a cross of a bull terrier and Italian Grey hound..
                        basically a spit and blow .

Comment

Originally posted by 4Sibes View Post
                          1. "Due to extensive inbreeding...a great propensity for deafness exists"
                          2. "as a result of deafness....nearly useless in the field"
                          3. "The most fragile and delicate of all Terriers"
                          4. "not a sportsman's companion"
                          5. "requires a considerable amount of cuddling and care"
                          Dog hell, she's bringing you her husband.

(just practicing my female humor)

Comment

When is it coming in? I want pictures! Has there been some sort of effort to keep this breed alive? I've never heard of them.

Comment

Lol. After reading line 1 I thought to myself "hmm those are extinct."

You HAVE to post a pic of this dog when it comes in.

Perhaps they spilled some bleach on their manchester.

Comment

Working...
                              X