Poodle MIX??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poodle MIX??

This lady called me to schedule her poodle mix. The day she brought him in this dog was a LABRADOODLE. He was severally matted, btw. I groom only small to medium dogs that can fit on my counter space. I had to groom him on the floor. Over all took me 4 hours!! I spent 2 days in the bed from back strain. I am still new and now know to ask more questions.

Originally posted by thedoggiedayspa View Post
    This lady called me to schedule her poodle mix. The day she brought him in this dog was a LABRADOODLE. He was severally matted, btw. I groom only small to medium dogs that can fit on my counter space. I had to groom him on the floor. Over all took me 4 hours!! I spent 2 days in the bed from back strain. I am still new and now know to ask more questions.
    My old boss used to have an actual veterinary scale in her front room & when checking in dogs she would weigh each one each time. It really cut down on people lying about what kind of dog they had.
    "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
    People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

" Can you tuck him under your arm, and lift him onto the counter?" I don't do bigger dogs either, so do ask specific questions. Think I would have sent him home.
      Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

well now ya know for next time to state a weight limit or size limit (say any bigger than a sheltie and i am not physically able to groom your dog) or just state you only do small and medium dogs...nothing bigger than a beagle! if you have specific reasons not to groom large dogs...i would have just refused to do the dog stating that you only do small and medium dogs you didnt realize it was so large.
        Hound

Comment

Originally posted by thedoggiedayspa View Post
          I am still new and now know to ask more questions.
          You can never ask too many questions.
          But you have to be a good "listener", which comes with experience.
          Experience in the school of hard knox...haha

But seriously...on the phone with a new client I try to just "go with the flow" & imagine the worst (haha, again)
          for example I had a call for a "lab mix" how long would it take for bath?

I asked "what's he mixed with?" cause I have a Lab-Shep that's hairy as a husky & takes 2 hours to wash & dry. A lab-pit or lab-boxer might take 1/2 hour. And don't even get me started on "doodles"

Good luck, & keep on this board, great place to learn.

Comment

Do not be afraid to say NO when you see a big one!!

It is entirely possible this person deliberately misled you. Why? So you would quote a lower price and then maybe decide to do the dog once he got there.

BUT - even if she wasn't deliberately misleading, practice looking surprised when a big one walks in, and immediately saying, "OH!! I'm sorry, you didn't SAY it was a LARGER dog!!! I do dogs under 20 pounds" (or whatever). Then you can pleasantly send them home. No back pain.

And here's one that happened to me - woman calls and asks about grooming her Terrier mixes (price and date), and as I ask a bit more, they are PIT BULLS but she doesn't want to say that because many groomers won't do them. Hmmmm.... she has yard dogs (which I don't do) and large, heavy dogs (which I don't do), so I told her that "Terrier mix" is not the usual description that she needs to say. Bye-bye!

Comment

Well, the lady didn't lie. The dog is a poodle mix. Personally, if I didn't groom dogs over a specific weight, I'd make sure the owner knew that when they made the appointment. Then if they show up with a moose in a dog suit you have every right to refuse the groom. Some things are just not worth risking injury over, and this is one of those times when it would have been best to send the dog right back out the door.

Comment

Originally posted by KarlaSnyder View Post
                " Can you tuck him under your arm, and lift him onto the counter?" I don't do bigger dogs either, so do ask specific questions. Think I would have sent him home.
                I would have sent him home too. If you are never going to groom the dog again because it is too big, then it isn't like you would have really been losing a customer.
                I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
                -Michelangelo

Comment

I used to groom a nice little golden retreiver...then he went from 50lbs (which I can lift) to +100lbs...no way i could budge him...sent him home, no way!!

Comment

Many years ago I was working at a vet clinic. One of the clients called to make an appt. with me but asked to speak to me first. The man asked what I would include with the groom and the price, he had a cock-a-poo. I quoted him a $$ assuming the dog was in the 18#-25# range. Imagine my surpise when the guy walks in with a 55#lab-cocker-something-else hairy beast!

This was a new business at the clinic and I was not the final $$ maker, so I had to do this dog for the way-too-low price I had quoted him. Fortunately the dog was nice and co-operative, but non-the-less it was an unfair job for me.

I will no longer do ANY dog on the floor, I did when I was younger but not now. You didn't get paid for the time you missed, did you? Probabaly not, so do not be afraid to say, "Sorry, I can not groom your dog."

good luck,
                    sittingpretty

Comment

Working...
                    X