Starting cords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting cords

Hi all! I am starting to get curious and curiouser about starting to cord my std poodle. I've maintained cords before so once they are there I know what to do, but I've never started them. He's currently in a poodle puppy cut. Maybe an inch or so on the body and 2-3 on his legs and built up into his neck.

Will the wise ones please impart some wisdom for me? He's not matted, but I know he's gotta get that at some point, lol. How do I get it to go from "mat" to "cord"?
    There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

*cricket cricket*

No one here knows how to start cords?
    There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

I've never corded a dog but have corded my own hair, LOL. Seriously, I had dread locks for some time (not braids, real dreads). I didn't brush my hair and when mats started to form, I would methodically separate them. I imagine the process is the similar. Someone posted a pretty good website showing the process with Komondors. I'd like to know the method people use to separate the cords. Certainly you have to consistency in size of the cords?
      That Tenacious Terrier!
      www.thattenaciousterrier.com
      https://www.facebook.com/ThatTenaciousTerrier

Comment

I have not been on for a few days so I am just now seeing this...sorry.

I had me boy corded for 3 yrs. He looked so good, I must admit I now miss it, so do alot of people. He was quite the conversation piece!

It is not a big deal to start the process, but you must be patient; your dog will look pretty unkept for quite awile, so be prepared for some comments. Basically cords are controlled matting. You allow the coat to matt up and begin to separate the matts with your fingers. (you may need to hind you comb!) The first areas we had to cord were the neck area and down onto the shoulders. As you separate the hair will look like clumps, eventually as it gets length it will look like cords. (this is where patience is really necessary).

On my dog the head/ topknot was the last to really cord up (I think because his coat was softer.) The process is much faster if the dog has some harsh coat. Generally, if the coat is too soft it just won't be good for cording. To get the size of cord you want (thick clumps or thin strings) you must decide how you want it to look eventually. I was advised to go for the size of a "Sharpie" pen. As the coat grew you have to separate into these little sections about 1/4-3/8". It does look pretty weird initially.

We were competing in obedience while the coat was growing in. While at an all brred/ obed. show we'd often walk over to watch breed judging. Competitors in the area would turn and look at his weird and almost scruffy coat then turn back and comment among themselves...oh well. Two yrs. later when we'd go watch the confirmation ring their comments were much different, actually flattering!

Unfortunately, I am now working 6+ days/ week so maintaining it was too much so I clipped him down. Being in FL. it was very hot for him so he was happy to get the hair cut! I still have all the hair in a 5 gal. bucket! ( no it isn't stinky.) If you have more Q's just PM me. Also, Poodlestar on this site has corded ST.P's. we talked when I was starting the cording. My favorite part on him was his tail, it was like a fancy/ weird pony tail swinging all the time when he was playing and jumping!

sittingpretty

Comment

Awesome!!! Thank you so much! I'm going to PM you.

Comment

are you located in fl too? I know i am kinda late to the cording treads but i am soo dead set on cording my red mini! I have been working on his hair for about one 3 months he already has matts forming. I thought maybe his hair was to soft. I have done many different clips on him and it drives me crazy that after drying and fluffing after a couple mins (30 mins) he has curles again. So i said fine i wont fight it and i decided to just let it cord. and know i have ringlets all over. with there own speration. I and soo temped to keep them that size. but i have red that it might be to small and they will break. I have been doing human dreads for 4 years now and i a partial to the thin dreads not the (donkey dreads) I really dont want my mini i have very thick ones, I have been twisting the matts that have formed to the size of the original ringlet size well give or take like two or three together.. I have read everyones postings, and with the experiance i have with human hair. I think i can pull off a thiner tubular cords not the flatten ones that komodors have,,,,,,, well i hope i can

Comment

Poodlestar is having a cording demo at her salon at the end of the month, wish you could go instead of me, you need the knowledge waymore than I do? Pm her.

Comment

OK Brink

Step 1 put the brush away
                Step 2 put the force dryer away
                Step 3 when matts start to form seperate in to smaller chunks by pulliing apart (who can insert a crouchet needle at the bottom so you know when to stop pulling.
                Step 4--continue step 3
                Step 5--Continue step 3

You will do this part for awhile (months or longer depending on the coat)

Every time you bath the dog split the matts into smaller sections we always perfer to do this before the bath with the Pulik. Be aware that they are going to go through the "I just got it from the pound stage" for quite awhile
                Never gonna know if you never even try

Comment

Originally posted by OntheBRINKofDisaster View Post
                  *cricket cricket*

No one here knows how to start cords?
                  Remember that fake teacher I got caught up with? Well.. she showed me, but I figured you REALLY don't want to know that method. LOL.

Debbie
                  Debbie
                  There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Comment

I always have to laugh when these dinosaur threads get dug up!
                    I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
                    -Michelangelo

Comment

Originally posted by gr8danlvr1 View Post
                      I always have to laugh when these dinosaur threads get dug up!
                      I HATE it when I get caught up in them... they are my nightmare LOL. Dagnabit!

Debbie
                      Debbie
                      There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Comment

ZOMBIETHREAD RAWRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Debbie, apparently I need some of your miracle coconut oil fix.

Comment

Brink, a year later from this post now. Did you cord your standard?

Comment

I started and got tired of him looking homeless. I just don't have the patience LOL. My hats off to those of you who have corded, it's an undertaking!!

(Oh, and not to mention that Brink is INCREDIBLY, incredibly disgusting. Truly, all boy. Cords on him would be quite impractical because he likes to roll in **** and dirt and excrement and dead things and whatever else he can find that will make him smell AMAZING. Sooooo....I have a hard enough time keeping coat on him and allowing him to behave like a regular dog let alone cords. He's in a shorter German trim at the moment, and loving it!)

Comment

Working...
                            X