Strange dog behavior....HMMM.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange dog behavior....HMMM.....

I had a Golden on Thursday that was a new client. When I arrived the owner was outside with the dog. As I approached them the dog fell flat on it's belly and crawled to me and when I stooped down to pet and speak to her she licked my hand. I got her up and took her into the trailer she stood for the entire grooming and was just a doll. I know that falling flat and crawling like that must be some kind of submissive behavior but I've never had a dog do that. Does anyone know why a dog would do that? She did seem a little timid. The lady did remark that she hadn't punished her so she didn't know why she did that.
    ~*~Robin~*~
    "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

I'm finding it interesting the woman said she hadn't punished the dog. I'm thinking she did. Don't you wish you could ask the dog?
    www.gomobileandsucceed.com
    http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

I have a lab that will cower down for no reason sometimes and she has never been punished. Some just have the nature to do that.

Comment

I have encountered dogs like this over the years.. If mom was apprehensive,aggrivated,annoyed at all it was flowing right down the leash to your new client..Some dogs are plugged into there owners,some think new is scary and some dogs are just submissive..If you turn sideways to greet the dog(mabey even a few feet away if the dog is really flat) it is a signal you are not a threat.Its not as scary to the dog as a head on greeting..Think dog signals!.You also want to be calm yourself- being too excited wont help-- i would not worry about "why" the dog went flat..Next time you greet the dog be calm,assertive,stop-turn-and let the dog come to you..Ive found this works after a few times and most "flat" dogs will come bounding in after that!! Im not sure why but most of the "flat" dogs i've done over the years are goldens and always the heavy ones!! You cant budge a flat heavy golden so learning how to build there confidence so they get up will save your back!!

Comment

My retriever mix is really submissive, and while she doesn't crawl like that, she goes belly up for EVERYTHING. And if she does anything wrong (mostly licking a plate or something if we eat in front of the tv) she will squint her eyes and go squishy faced. It's pretty funny.

Comment

I had a shepherd that when I got her I called her slinky toy, never saw her stand up for weeks, the breeders where real loud harsh people. Training turned her around, but the advice to make yoursilf smaller is great.
            ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

My son's dog is very submissive. He was a stray my son found running down the road with a rope tied around his neck. We are not sure if he was abused or not. He hits the ground, lays on his back and pee's. He has been doing this since my son got him. I was over at my son's house the other day, went to clean his dogs ears, and of course dog hit the floor and turned on the fountian,,,lol

Comment

Originally posted by wet noze View Post
                I'm finding it interesting the woman said she hadn't punished the dog. I'm thinking she did. Don't you wish you could ask the dog?
                I certainly wouldn't jump to that conclusion. Maybe she has been asked that question before and feels defensive about it. My 10 year old always bows her head when a person approaches her, like she is expecting you to hit her. I don't beat, or even physically punish my dogs. The litter mate to my dog has the same behavior, and they haven't been around each other since they were 9 weeks old. Not saying the lady doesn't hit her dog, but submissive behavior doesn't mean she DOES either. It is highly likely that that submissive dog did that once and the person cooed and made cute little aaahhh noises and now the dog thinks that is how you great people because someone thought it was cute once.
                I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
                -Michelangelo

Comment

Originally posted by gr8danlvr1 View Post
                  I certainly wouldn't jump to that conclusion.
                  I agree. Many years back I had a Border Collie Mix (just looked like a big Border Collie). He was very skittish and acted like we beat him. Of course he wasn't, but more than once I had to reassure people that we were very kind to him.

I have also seen a dog crawl on its belly, some dogs are just very submissive. If I bend over Pippin that will sometimes cause him to pee. I've learned to wait until he is outside to put a leash on him.
                  "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

We have a teeny Shih Tzu/Poodle mix that comes in who always rolls over when she greets us. And wags her HUGE tail while doing so, too.

I also have a ridiculously passive/submissive Rat Terrier mix who I'm able to pick up while she's on her back, curled up in a ball, etc.

Comment

It's just a submissive posture. One shouldn't read anything more than that into it, although I've found that adult dogs who are that submissive were probably not handled appropriately when they went through the "water fountain" stage as puppies. And by that I mean that age when they will sometimes react to things with submissive urination. If the owner does much of anything besides ignore the urination and clean it up without comment, some dogs will react by becoming even more submissive. In their minds their original signal wasn't accepted, so they have to offer even more proof of their intentions.

We humans can be so dog-dumb.

Comment

Smile and keep her happy........this retriever was "submissive" but extatic to be with you......you have a friend and just enjoy the kisses! Sorry,I don't know much about dogs and this is just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                        X