grooming shelties and collies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grooming shelties and collies

What are some of the things you do to shelties or collies in your area? Where I live most of them seem to be outside farm dogs. The owners usually want the shaved, (number 7) I have talked a few people this spring in to letting me do them in a Wahl guard, usually a yellow depends on how much undercoat the dog has.

these shelties do not have much done to them at home. they come to be with burs in their fur, a few mats, and i know the owners do not brush them! so do you think I should just keep doing them shaved, since the owners do not take care of them? rather than try to leave them longer? but then the next time i see them they are in worse shape!

While I prefer to not shave double coated dogs, I refuse to demat time and again; so they would be shaved rather than dematted.
    I refuse to enable dog neglectors.
    However, if they just have clumped undercoat, I don't mind using good products and conditioners and hving the matted clumpy hair out and a light brush and comb and they are gorgeous.
    I just won't spend hours trying to get out neglect.

Comment

Shave away. If the owners want the dogs to look good, they can bring them in on a regular 6-8 wk schedule. I hate shaving these dogs, but I hate dematting a neglected pet a lot more.
      Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by edderland View Post
        While I prefer to not shave double coated dogs, I refuse to demat time and again; so they would be shaved rather than dematted.
        I refuse to enable dog neglectors.
        However, if they just have clumped undercoat, I don't mind using good products and conditioners and hving the matted clumpy hair out and a light brush and comb and they are gorgeous.
        I just won't spend hours trying to get out neglect.
        I agree with this, but try to encourage owners to bring them in more often. I've waived a bit on my "not shaving" and attempt to at least get them into a "A" comb attachment clip rather than a total #7 shave down. That said, after educating, talking, and going on, if someone still wants them shaved I will do it (until I have my own shop.)

Comment

Shave 'em.

Under the circumstances, if the owners won't brush them, it is the best thing to do for the dogs.

Comment

farm dogs

The thing is (being from a farming comm) they are just farm dogs, they tag alone behind the tractors. Farmers don't brush em out. I shave them, and warn about sunburns. And say I'll see you next year. No amout of talking will ever work.

Comment

I had a client, retired farmer. He had an oversize Sheltie, 2 x yrly shave. He was quite specific. A #10 all over, and I do mean all over. Tail to the tip. Head down to the nose. Legs to the feet. Poor thing looked like a fat rat, but owner was happy so dog was happy. Ah well.....

Comment

Originally posted by hairlessdogmom View Post
                The thing is (being from a farming comm) they are just farm dogs, they tag alone behind the tractors. Farmers don't brush em out. I shave them, and warn about sunburns. And say I'll see you next year. No amout of talking will ever work.
                similar to when I worked In Indiana, but still, when I got 4 weeks ahead in scheduling...book that far out or go elsewhere, no skin of my nose. Don't have to worry about seeing them with melanoma

Comment

same here

I get a lot of farm type dogs here & every time I try to leave a little hair they say next time, please go a lot closer. What can you do? Terri

Comment

Working...
                  X