No announcement yet.

Should I worry about chain pet stores?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I worry about chain pet stores?

My town is on a major 4 lane highway, the nearest mall is about 15-20 miles away and less than a 20 minute drive from where my shop is set up. I just heard that a major pet store chain is moving into the mall and should be completed before summer. Should I be worried about the impact of my grooming business? I'm hoping it's just a place to send dogs I no longer wish to do, large ones plus cats that we've never done anyway. The town where the mall is has several groomers so I'd think it would impact them more than me. Anyone see any major problems from chain stores? I'm not really concerned but I don't want to be over confident either, clients can be fickle.

At first some of your clients may want to try them out but they will be back if you do quality work.
    Here in Lexington there is area with four grooming shop on about 1 mile of the road with PetSmart being one of them and they all do just fine.

Comment

As long as your customer service is great, fair pricing you won't have anything to worry about. Customers like the personal touch cant get much in a box store.

Comment

No worries

They could even have a great groomer/s but many clients just don't wish to go to a pet store for grooming. It's sounds a bit away from you anyway. As you said, it'll be a nice place for those dogs you don't wish to do to go.
        Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Don't sway, do quality work, and anyone that tries them out will hopefully come back to you. Provide excellent communication & service and I'm sure it will be ok!

Comment

You wil see a change, for abit it will be scary, but you will loose some pitas, and most people will come back for personal one on one .
            ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

My salon is less than 5 miles down the road from one "Chain", and less than 10 miles from another "Chain"..It has not impacted my business at all- in fact i brought retail into my salon and have grown because of it. When my client asks what brush they should use I grab one off the shelf rather than send them down the road. I keep the basics and a few impulse "spoil them" buys which customers love.. I have had some clients go there when they couldnt get in.They always come back and usually pre-book the next appointment so it doesnt happen again..Be your best,keep your clients (and there owners) happy and they'll keep coming back..

Comment

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Sure, some might give them a try but they'll be back. Most of my clientele have tried it out but it didn't work for them, for one reason or another.
                That Tenacious Terrier!
                www.thattenaciousterrier.com
                https://www.facebook.com/ThatTenaciousTerrier

Comment

Assuming you run a quality shop, can do a good job grooming dogs, keep things looking clean and updated, offer real customer service, and people like you, I bet you won't really have an issue.

Comment

I had one move about 20 min from me. I maybe lost a few but picked up more rather quickly. Do not worry you will be fine as long as you have good relationships with your clients. Also people who like you and your work will stay with you.

Comment

My salon sits square in the middle of quite a few actually, and we've gained some business because of it.
                      There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

I have the 2 major chains 3 miles from me and I do not have to worry about business. i do on average 6-8 dogs a day and my clients are loyal. They have been to worse groomers so they know they have it good here!

Comment

At first you might lose some but they will be back. Keep your customer service up and groom your little heart out. People love their pets and very few will choose price over quality .
                          "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt,
                          and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck
                          www.wagmoresalon.com

Comment

People come to me over the local chain because...

Consistency in the groom and personal service since I am the only one who grooms their dog.

The chain prices are high for my area.

The chain always charges crazy add ons making their prices outrageous.

I do not require them to bring in medical records or force them to get repeated uneeded vaccinations. (Medical decisions are left up to the owner and their vet)

Quality of work.

I actually like having the chain to refer people to when they call me price shopping and ask about other shops in the area. They make my prices look very reasonable. However, I have noticed that they will quote very low prices for some breeds and do not tell the owners that the low price is for a very basic groom. When people call you to price shop, you need to explain to them that your price is for the total package as you do not charge add-ons for every extra.

Comment

Originally posted by D'tails View Post
                              People come to me over the local chain because...

your price is for the total package as you do not charge add-ons for every extra.
                              What she said, lol. I have both major chains within about 2 miles from my house (if that). Many clients even have to pass them to come here. I am fully booked most of the time, with rarely a 'surprise' day off. Don't worry about it, especially that far away!

Comment

Working...
                              X