skipped tooth blades vs. combs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skipped tooth blades vs. combs

which do you feel gives a more natural looking cut on yorkies and shihtzus?

Yorkies

especially tend to show lines so I wouldn't use a skip tooth. On both of those I'd use a snap on comb reverse preferably with a Vac System.
    Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

If I am using Wahl SS combs....defintely the combs w/ a little clean-up scissoring. (And I only use Wahl SS combs on those types of coats)
      Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

I hate skip tooth blades. I just can't use them. I've heard people say they look better than the F blades on dogs like Westies and Scotties, but I tried and I just can't make it work for me. I only have a 4 and a 5, and I rarely use them. I always reach for my 4f and 5f instead.

On a yorkie I'd probably use the Wahl SS snap ons, but on a shih tzu it would really depend on the dog and the hair type and what look the owner is going for.

Comment

The way i was taught, the skip tooths are used for roughing and getting thru matts. Having said that, I rarely use skip tooths anymore and regret buying tons of skip tooths!!!

My most used is the 7 skip (really couldn't live without it) and I use it on double coated dogs getting trimmed. I shape in the look I want then clean it up with scissors. Otherwise I find them useless.

Comment

Way back when...LOL... OK so Im old enough to remember... skip tooth blades were what most groomers used period. Of course when the F blades came out it was such a delight to use them. For me I have not used a skip tooth blade in... well I cant remember when. I have seen some real horror stories of groomers in a hurry seriously hurt pets with skip tooth blades in the past but I did work (briefly) at one kennel.. the grooming manager totally went off on me about scissoring! She said dont bother doing that, people want their dogs to look like they have been groomed... she would take skip tooth blades and drop/blend (well she tried to anyway) saying how nice her dogs looked.
            On goldens!... her dogs looked like someone ran a lawnmower over them (IMHO)

I would say your best bet is to stick with the SS wahl then scissor. If you really want things blending in even better use thinning shears, be careful to lightly go over one are with only a few snips then comb it through... see how it looks, if it needs more, again only one or two snips with thinners.

Comment

The only skip blade I use for finishing is my 3. And only on terriers and sometimes on cocker skirts. I use it more like a paint brush than a blade with a VERY light touch.

Comment

Originally posted by CutiePiesBySarah View Post
                The way i was taught, the skip tooths are used for roughing and getting thru matts. Having said that, I rarely use skip tooths anymore and regret buying tons of skip tooths!!!

My most used is the 7 skip (really couldn't live without it) and I use it on double coated dogs getting trimmed. I shape in the look I want then clean it up with scissors. Otherwise I find them useless.
                I wish you were in the US so I could buy them but the shipping would be monstrous! I want to start experimenting.
                "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Originally posted by 4thedog View Post
                  which do you feel gives a more natural looking cut on Yorkies and shihtzus?
                  depending on what length I'm going. to determine to which I would prefer.. I Use the skip toothed blades to rough in the cut(it cuts through matting and leaves some length) then the F blade for finishing the body then scissor the legs.If they want a cut longer than a #4 then I would use the combs.. skip tooth use for finishing I mainly use for Scotties and Westies to give a more natural look to the back

Comment

ya know....the shop i worked at last had me do a 2 comb on an akita. now a fellow friend/former coworker told me she would have done a 7 skip and then followed it up with a 7F to create that nice plush look. also wouldnt have taken the head down either. it took me almost 2 hrs to do that poor dog! i had to keep going over and over and over it because little fuzzys kept popping up after brushing it back out again....poor poor girl! also the people wanted it shorter so there wouldnt be so much hair floating around the house because the wife was due to give birth soon....so....it really wasnt that short IMO. the dog was still going to shed!
                    but alas....thats the diffrence between know it all groomers who havent gone to school versus an educated groomer who has owned 3 shops of her own!
                    but really now....i kinda like the skips myself...and the wide blades are AWESOME! i did a springer the other day....i believe it was a 5 shave.....the owner of the salon gave me a 5 wide to use...and man did that cut the time down!
                    i love those wide blades!
                    covers more area that way and less lines!
                    Hound

Comment

Working...
                    X