Gordon Setters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gordon Setters

I had someone contact me about doing a few Gordon Setters that will be in the confirmation ring. I have recently done a nice Irish Setter, the gordon owner saw this dog.

I am not familiar with the specifics of this beed. I thought the head would be thinned and trimmed like a Irish, but the owner told me it wis shaved...(!) tho" I've always admired the breed.

Anyone have some details to share with me?

sittingpretty

Well, one thing you can do is contact the breed club and ask them if they can put you in contact with a very good groomer of that breed.

I am no setter junkie, I'm just learning, but I have Jodi Murphy's Irish Setter DVD (and I'm going to groom a show Irish tomorrow), and the body's are very similiar----NO clipping on the body! But I think the heads are different on the various full-coated setters.

Good luck to you, the setters are absolutely breathtaking!

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Tammy is right, I'd contact the breed club and get onto the computer to view many photos and read club sites info. Yes, the head is clippered.
      Here's one to start: http://www.sureshot.ca/Pages/breed/care.html
      Attached Files
      Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
      www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Spikey is right. The head is done differently. I have a co-worker that breeds and shows Gordons. I have never seen her groom her dogs for show, and the only dog I've ever actually seen her put in a show trim was an 8mo old puppy. She did do some clipper work on the head but I couldn't tell you exactly what. She didn't do any stripping on the body of the puppy because there really wasn't much there to strip. She usually baths her dogs and then puts "jammies" on them and lets them air dry. The "jammies" flatten the back coat so that is lays down. It really works too. I couldn't believe how slick her little puppy looked at the last show. She also keeps her show dogs in oil.

If you'd like I can ask my co-worker if its alright for me to give you her contact info and if she would mind if you emailed or called her. She's very nice I'm sure she'd be willing to help...there aren't a whole lot of people to contact about gordons.
        Last edited by windfall4; 03-27-10, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Thanks everyone for this info. Windy, thanks for the pix, Windfall,myes, I love to contact your friend.

The owner is doing alot of the work himself. To me it looked a bit "rough". But, what do I know...I did look up the breed on the AKC site, but didn'tsee any grooming info readily available (as I have with other breeds I have researched). I have always liked Gordons and am thrilled to have one to work on. I did stress to the man that I am not a show groomer. I don't want his expectations to be high and then lose in the ring (because of me). He mostly has asked me to do fine detail scissoring, after I told him what I saw when I looked at the dogs. I can see where he wants it done; bringing out the shoulders, detailing to show more chest, etc. I am a bit insecure with the prospect to be quite honest.

you area all so helpful,
          thanks,
          sittingpretty
          Judi

Any more suggestions would be appreciated

Comment

Gordons are STRONG on the table. I thin/stone the top of the head. But, I do this to make sure that I am keeping the planes of the head looking level. Clipping them can accentuate a bad backskull. I prefer to sculpt it in to the dog's own bone structure for fault correction...

Google some Gordon sites. You can find show grooming guides online. Also, like other have said, go to the breed club site. Each breed club has excellent standard and grooming info... Some, like the English Cocker club, have dvds and illustrated guides to help.

The breed club is the first place I check when grooming a new breed.

Comment

Originally posted by windfall4 View Post
              She usually baths her dogs and then puts "jammies" on them and lets them air dry. The "jammies" flatten the back coat so that is lays down. It really works too. I couldn't believe how slick her little puppy looked at the last show. She also keeps her show dogs in oil.
              We used to call that "towelling". It is done in a lot of breeds where they want to coat to lay flat.

We would comb the damp coat flat, then wrap the body tightly with a towel. fastening the towel under the neck and body with horse blanket pins (those were the days before velcro...). Depending on the dog, some dogs were kept "towelled" at the shows to keep the coat tight.

The oil could be anything from spray lanolin to alpha-keri in water to baby oil in water to "the green stuff" to whatever commerical muck was fashionable at a particular point in time. I was just talking to a former Poodle exhibitor who asked me if I remembered "Wupi Oil". I did. I never did know what it was made of, but I remembered it being popular with the show crowd.

One obnoxious mixture I used only on dogs that were kept kenneled and crated - a three way mixture of mineral oil, castor oil and cod liver oil. It stunk to high heaven. It was not my private concoction - it was a recipe given to me by one of the top terrier handlers in the country.

Back in the old, old days of dog shows, the handlers would use crank case oil on the dogs. And they told me it worked as well as anything used today.

Comment

Where are you located? My co-worker said that she can look up some info and maybe refer you to a breeder or handler in the area that knows Gordons. She also wanted me to ask you if you know where he got the dogs?

Comment

Originally posted by sittingpretty View Post
                  I had someone contact me about doing a few Gordon Setters that will be in the confirmation ring. I have recently done a nice Irish Setter, the gordon owner saw this dog.

I am not familiar with the specifics of this beed. I thought the head would be thinned and trimmed like a Irish, but the owner told me it wis shaved...(!) tho" I've always admired the breed.

Anyone have some details to share with me?

sittingpretty
                  Ok, I know this is a long time later, but now that I've done a few Irish...if you shave the head of an irish, it will often grow back WHITE. that being said, there are a number of breeders/handlers that do this. I don't like it. Stripped is always best in my opinion.

On a gordon, however, I don't think it has the same effect. It would likely stay black, so they do that to make it easier. On the other hand, you wouldn't necessarily want to do it this way on a dog that doesn't have the right skull shape.

Tammy in Utah
                  Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Working...
                  X