drying big dogs like newfs and goldens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drying big dogs like newfs and goldens

Can anyone tell me if you all dry these dogs all the way through from the bath or if anyone is using cage/crate dryers at all to get the final dampness out? I have a lot of trouble with getting the ears really dry. We don't have any crate/cage dryers and high velocity all the way through with a stand dryer.

Got two words for ya: happy hoodies!
    Seriously, I love mine. Before you start to dry the beast, pop a happy hoodie on his head. By the time you're ready to start drying an ear--and with a Newf or a Golden there's plenty of time, hehe--excess moisture will already be absorbed into the hoodie. They're pretty cheap, last a long time, and it usually makes getting dried a little more bearable for the dogs, especially if they're nervous to begin with.

Comment

I blow my newfs all the way dry. It also makes the brush out a little easier

Comment

thanks so much! I have a big dog again tomorrow and he will be wearing a hoody for sure!

Comment

I dry all my dogs completely. I do have a couple here and there who might be very stressed around the head and Ill put them in a cool air dryer with a timer for ten mins or so but those are few and far between.

Comment

I dry them most of the way with the HV after de-shedding in the tub. I too use the happy hoodie. I will then give the dog some time in a towel lined kennel with a fan on it (20 minutes or so). I find the big dogs are tired after standing in the tub so long, so a nice little break is quite welcome (for both of us). I then finish with the stand drier.
            "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go." ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

The HH is great! Also, brush the hair with a pin brush against the grain while shampooing and conditioning. It not only gets the product deeper into the coat, it sets the hair up to dry more quickly. Fluffed, separated hairs dry much more quickly than flattened ones.
              The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit. ~Nelson Henderson

Comment

I change out HH's every 10-15 minutes on the really big ones, or at the very least...turn the one you have on the dog....inside out.
                They really do help "wick" the moisturre out of the ears...but once they are saturated...can't do much more.
                Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Sibes View Post
                  I change out HH's every 10-15 minutes on the really big ones, or at the very least...turn the one you have on the dog....inside out.
                  They really do help "wick" the moisturre out of the ears...but once they are saturated...can't do much more.
                  Good tip. Thanks. I could'a used that today...had a big Newf and a big Berner in today. I'll be sure to do that next time around.
                  "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go." ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

I love those Hoodies too. A hoodie on every head. lol
                    www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                    http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

I use the Hv in the tub to dry as much as possible, then kennel with a fan to reduce any moister then when finishing the dog I fluff dry . if you do not have cage dryers regular box fans will do the trick just as well, also no worries of the dog over heating as it blows room temp( no timers needed.)

Comment

Thanks everyone for all your help. I combined several of the suggestions and my Berne looked great and the head and body dryed like nothing and less stress on him! Have a great Sunday!

Comment

The worst spot for me was the tips of the ears...paper towel works WONDERS! We buy the most expensive and most absorbent ones and at the end of the grooms use the paper towel on the tips of the ears...saves me tons of frustration

Comment

I hv them then use a hari dryer (mine) while I brush them .

Comment

I just wrap a normal towel around the head/neck/ears and tuck it within itself (No HH here); I then wrap a second towel around the torso while I do all four legs, haunches, tail... It's nice and absorbent. When those are done, the entire belly takes SO much shorter than usual, and the coat is already laying nice and flat against the back. By the time I get to the head, there isn't as much moisture. Then I put gauze wads in the ears for the head drying.

One thing I really like is we just changed nozzles on our Master blaster and Now instead of just the small HV tip you can pop it off and there is a fatter opening tip underneath... Most dogs now will tolerate it since it pushes low volumes of warm air (just have to be careful to keep it moving so it doesn't get too hot in one place)... I push it up against the skin and keep it moving constantly and the warm air and slight pressure from being close to the skin makes it dry super smooth and straight, AND quick!

I will put a dog under a Double K dryer (has the temp adjust/thermostat so it won't get too hot) but only on one side of a dual bank just to get that last little bit of dampness out...Usually 15-20 minutes (do another bath!) should do it. They are on cage grates so we put it low so it circulates mostly from underneath.

Jessie

Comment

Working...
                              X