Darn It - Forgot What You Taught Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darn It - Forgot What You Taught Me

We are just starting to get those big and hairies that are blowing their coats and I totally forgot what I learned here about getting the coat off with the HV before you finish rinsing the dog.

So as I am HV ing--- dog is finished w/all the washing and rinsing and now hair is blowing everywhere ... I suddenly remember previous posts. Bummer. So I put on my glasses and mask and let the hair blow for the next 15 minutes knowing that now I also have 30 minutes of hair cleanup.

Good grief, where is my memory.

I need to print out all the good ideas I get here and post them to my wall ... obviously have memory issues. GEEEEEEZZZZZ

I think Jodi Murphy also has a dvd on deshedding in the tub, not exactly sure how she does it. But, I lather the ones I do really well, plenty of shampoo and suds on them, then I brush, coat king, furminator, or just comb depending on breed/coat type/length of coat. Doing that drastically minimizes the amount of hair flying. Takes a little more time in the tub, but really cuts drying and finish time IMO. I did notice you have to be careful wet or dry dogs about getting too over-zealous, they can still brush burn even wet and sudsy. Oh and do not use your 'good' brush, make one specifically for the bath, tends to compromise brush performance-that is only on brushes, my coat king seems to be ok, I just rinse and dry it well, same w/furminator.

Comment

I wet 'em down, suds 'em up, massage all over to loosen the coat, then HV while they are still lathered up. It blows the hair and lather off the dog in one motion, but the lather keeps the worst of the mischief under control. The hair will splatter against the tub surround but it will stay there. No floating everywhere else.

You then hose the surround to flush the hair into the tub so you can scoop it out. Then rinse.

Done properly in the tub, you dog has pretty much been deshed by that point and is much quicker to dry and finish.

Comment

I deshedded a lab the other day, he had a good brush down before the bath, then blown dry while soapy, rinse, dry, brush again, then he rolled in all the loose hair that I had just brushed out. The good news is that the owners had apparently just arrived and were quite impressed with how much hair I got out in two or three brush strokes and rescheduled!

Comment

Originally posted by sarahliz View Post
          I deshedded a lab the other day, he had a good brush down before the bath...
          Why? Don't you realize all of that hair would have come out in the bath/blow out? Especially on a Lab? You could have saved some wear & tear on your arm, as well as some time.

Work smarter, not harder.

Comment

Someone was already in the tub and I like to make do a once over to see if they are sensitive about any part of them before get them back there. If they are touchy I would rather know it before I get them all soapy and wet. It also gives me a chance to make sure there is nothing that I missed during check in.

Comment

SmartNPretty has a WONDERFUL technique is she'll share it!!
              Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
              www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

It's not really my technique. I learned it from a crack head (literally) I used to work with. everyone I have told about it puts their own spin on it. Jody Murphy basically put the technique on DVD. I urge you to buy it. My way is make certain the dog is spotlessly clean, then while you have conditioner on use a Miracle Coat small round slicker brush to deshed as you DRIZZLE water onto the coat. If you use too much water pressure the water just bounces off the surface of the coat. You want to have the water go into the coat & lift the dead hair away from the skin so you can brush what does not come away with the force of the water. The hair is CLEAN so you get a proper release & the conditioner mixed with water makes for a fabulous lube so the dead hair comes away with no arm breaking stress.

I do not use a coat king even though some professionals swear by it because I have not been able to do so without cutting the hair. Doubtless I need training in that department. After the brush do the same technique with the rake, then a comb, then a fine tooth comb. When you are finished the dog will be rinsed thoroughly & will dry quickly. So quickly you won't believe it.
                "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Jodi Murphy shows how to deshed both a rough coated dog, and a short coated (labrador type) dog in her DVD, and she also shows you various tools that you can use. She uses a 4 or 5 step process. Charge more for this process, because it is work, and takes a bit longer, but in the end it will SAVE you the cleanup time. www.jodimurphy.net .

Just today we had a guy come in with his two small, pure white huskies. These guys shed like buggers. The guy COMPLAINED about the price a month ago when he asked for a quote. Said he'd been paying someone $25 to groom them at her home when he lived in another state. He said he'd try us though, which he did, and then we didn't hear from him for this whole month. Until he came in for his appointment today. He said, "Whatever you guys did last time, it is worth EVERY penny. Please do the same thing again!"

So there you have it. The DVD is worth its weight in gold. Also, you will want to get one of those Miracle Coat slicker brushes from www.Cherrybrook.com. Honestly, NOTHING works like it, it pulls hair like no other. If you really wanna go for it, buy some EZ Shed from Nature's Specialties. Do a GOOD JOB, and CHARGE FOR IT. They'll sing your praises...to other potential clients.

Tammy in Utah
                  Last edited by SpikeyTheYorkie; 03-26-10, 10:06 PM.
                  Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I read this thread earlier today minutes before I had to bathe and brush a golden cross. i took 10 minutes out of my day to eat lunch and check pg while eating lunch. I went downstairs to bathe him and lathered him up good and brushed. Someone suggestd the small miracle coat brush that I own but rarely use ( I love the bigger one and use it constantly). I used the smaller one cause someone else suggested having a bath only brush and got tons out! this will be my designated bath brush!!!!.... I had him bathed, brushed and dried in 35 minutes!!!!!!!! Who knew 10 minutes out of your day can change your day not to mention your career. Thank you!

Comment

what's so special about the Miracle Coast slickers? Is this really the right brush. I don't mind getting another slicker if there really is something different about it. Just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by CutiePiesBySarah View Post
                        I read this thread earlier today minutes before I had to bathe and brush a golden cross. i took 10 minutes out of my day to eat lunch and check pg while eating lunch. I went downstairs to bathe him and lathered him up good and brushed. Someone suggestd the small miracle coat brush that I own but rarely use ( I love the bigger one and use it constantly). I used the smaller one cause someone else suggested having a bath only brush and got tons out! this will be my designated bath brush!!!!.... I had him bathed, brushed and dried in 35 minutes!!!!!!!! Who knew 10 minutes out of your day can change your day not to mention your career. Thank you!
                        Rockin!

Originally posted by bednbones View Post
                        what's so special about the Miracle Coast slickers? Is this really the right brush. I don't mind getting another slicker if there really is something different about it. Just wondering.
                        The teeth are closer together is my guess. All I know is it grabs more hair than the bigger one. Jodi Murphy designates the Miracle Coat brush as her deshed brush so that is the one I use. I already used that one but she turned me on to JW Gripsoft soft bristle brush for everyday use and SWEAR by them. Tammy actually turned me BACK on to the Miracle Coat for deshed. I owned the video and had not payed attention.
                        "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                        People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Originally posted by bednbones View Post
                          I don't like the smaller one. Its stiffer and seems too harsh on the coat when trying to grab all that undercoat out. The bigger one feels a lot more smoother and glides through the hair easily. I haven't had the privilege of using expensive designer brushes yet but this one definitely takes the cake over any brush I've ever used. It just grabs what you want out in fewer strokes. I really really love it.

Comment

Yep

That brush is a miracle brush. Thanks again for the update.

Comment

Love the Miracle Coat Slicker Brush! Been using it for years and is great for deshedding in the tub. And Tammy's such a smarty. EZ Shed from Nature's Specialty is an excellent product.
                              www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                              http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Working...
                              X