Sneak Preview of Detailed Grooming Prices 2009 Survey Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sneak Preview of Detailed Grooming Prices 2009 Survey Results

We will have the results analyzed by 9 US regions of the US out by Monday.

Clearly something new has arisen. Without a doubt mobile grooming prices are up everywhere and quite so in some regions, when compared to previous years.

Overall salon/spa/shop/inside groomer home's businesses went flat and although some regions saw consistent small price increases there is a marked increase in "bottom pricing groomers." Their fees are very low, some only have 1, 2 or 3 prices for all dogs. Many of you have seen this either in your area with sale priced grooming fees, or Craigslist. Further evidence that this may be the reason for flat level change can be seen in the average price changes for large dogs. That's where we see not modest drops of $1.00 but average prices falling $15.00. Yes, there are some groomers that will do an OES for $25, yikes! Some just a little more and we didn't use to see that very much. No it's not prevalent, but it is out there in more evidence with Craigslist and perhaps in your area.

If we throw out the lowest priced groomers in the bottom 15% of those surveyed we would find that the salon/shop etc group instead would show a modest price increase in 2009 versus 2008.

I guess it seems logical that bottom pricing mobile groomers are rare, or short lived. Mobile grooming prices in fact in general as we see it now were up at least 10% if not more in 2009.

Does this mean that bottom level priced groomers are hurting non mobile groomers? Well certainly where they are prevalent the other non mobile groomers may be faced more often with minor, or major, challenges by new customers and have to justify why their fees are higher. That's what the numbers say, but perhaps you would like to share your experiences here with the $10, $15, or $25 for any dog groomers in your area. They are out there in Craigslist and we have one in our area too.
    Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the Board Help Talk Forum. Thanks for coming to our community a part of PetGroomer.com https://www.petgroomer.com.

Thanks

Your article threads are always so informative,thanks for going the extra mile to post items that relate to the most important aspects of grooming!

Comment

Originally posted by Admin View Post
      ...... but perhaps you would like to share your experiences here with the $10, $15, or $25 for any dog groomers in your area. They are out there in Craigslist and we have one in our area too.
      I have found that they are in my area also, but I believe they do not really have an impact on normal shops since they serve a very small niche of clients and have low client loyalty and repeat clients.

The one near me moved her business at least 3 times in the last 10 years. Most likely due to finding affordable rent to balance out her 10$ and 20$ grooms.

She moved to the next town over 1 year after I opened my shop, and from what I saw in that year, most of her clients who came to me where very unhappy after going there once and getting their dog back UNWASHED and hacked up like it had a run-in with a weed eater. They also complained of filth and cat urine.

Some of her regular long-term clients started coming to me because they did not want to drive to the next town and for the most part, these were very elderly people and people who never owned a breed that needed groomed before, so they had no idea that their dogs nails and ears should be cleaned, or that a bath is included with a groom. They also had no idea what a quality groom or clean shop looked like, so they never expected it or had anything to compare her shop to. Interestingly, some of these people not only paid my price that is 2-4 times higher than hers, but also leave me very nice tips.

Comment

What is an OES you mention in your article?

What is an OES? I 'm new and don't know what that is? I clearly see that people try to get big dogs done that are never done .... for harldly anything.......

Originally posted by Admin View Post
        We will have the results analyzed by 9 US regions of the US out by Monday.

Clearly something new has arisen. Without a doubt mobile grooming prices are up everywhere and quite so in some regions, when compared to previous years.

Overall salon/spa/shop/inside groomer home's businesses went flat and although some regions saw consistent small price increases there is a marked increase in "bottom pricing groomers." Their fees are very low, some only have 1, 2 or 3 prices for all dogs. Many of you have seen this either in your area with sale priced grooming fees, or Craigslist. Further evidence that this may be the reason for flat level change can be seen in the average price changes for large dogs. That's where we see not modest drops of $1.00 but average prices falling $15.00. Yes, there are some groomers that will do an OES for $25, yikes! Some just a little more and we didn't use to see that very much. No it's not prevalent, but it is out there in more evidence with Craigslist and perhaps in your area.

If we throw out the lowest priced groomers in the bottom 15% of those surveyed we would find that the salon/shop etc group instead would show a modest price increase in 2009 versus 2008.

I guess it seems logical that bottom pricing mobile groomers are rare, or short lived. Mobile grooming prices in fact in general as we see it now were up at least 10% if not more in 2009.

Does this mean that bottom level priced groomers are hurting non mobile groomers? Well certainly where they are prevalent the other non mobile groomers may be faced more often with minor, or major, challenges by new customers and have to justify why their fees are higher. That's what the numbers say, but perhaps you would like to share your experiences here with the $10, $15, or $25 for any dog groomers in your area. They are out there in Craigslist and we have one in our area too.

Comment

OES= Old English Sheepdog

Comment

We have one of those shops in my town. Baths for $10 including nails on ANYTHING (my bather went in to aske about her chow and was told YEP! $10). Grooms start at $20. Top out at $30. My shop did 35 dogs today. They are not hurting us. NOW I DO some dogs for $10 (weekly puppies) and some for $15 (again WEEKLY DOGS) and when they get haircuts they are full price, but my grooms were higher than the other shop 14 years ago in this same town! People are hanging up on me when they get my price quotes, but we are booked solid and stay that way. I am as high as double what they charge. People go there once then come to get me to fix them....did another one last week that I charged double what they were used to, but when I do a bath on a shihtzu it gets FFTT done, so they get more than just a bath and brush.
            <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I work at one of those shops. *sigh* we have only been open since the day after thanksgiving 09 (this is her second location) I moved from the city to this town and ALL the dogs I get I have to fix. I agreed to work for hourly wages because I know how hard it is to start a new business. I was trained by a PetSomething and I dont do half grooms, but EVERYONE else around here seems to. They dont understand why my grooms take longer. They want me to pump out 11 or 12 dogs a day. WHATEVER! I dont even know how to sacrifice quality if I were willing to! It is driving me nuts. I hate doing dogs for flat rates, but I have to keep reminding myself that I am not commissioned and I get paid either way. Even the parents complain that it takes me 3 hours to do 3 dogs. But I know for a fact exactly what the petsomethings are doing and as long as I keep up with that I know I am doing it right. Its not ok. Its not good for our industry, but we are slowly but surely putting all these "groom shops" out of business. We are getting a reputation of higher quality at better prices and I made the owner swear that when we hit one year, she is going to raise those prices. And trust me, she is!

Comment

Originally posted by Jane512 View Post
                Its not ok. Its not good for our industry, but we are slowly but surely putting all these "groom shops" out of business. We are getting a reputation of higher quality at better prices and I made the owner swear that when we hit one year, she is going to raise those prices. And trust me, she is!
                It is this kinda thinking that I can make no sense of no matter how hard I try. Shop owners that want to bottom out the industry thinking of a fat client list of "walmart shoppers", their staff working for pennies and dreaming of the day they will hit paydirt by jacking up their prices because they have arrived. Then when they try and riase prices by more than a couple of bucks they will find they will lose big time. Because what they sold was pricing not the service. Wake up, these people came to you for a cheap groom, they are not loyal clients they are bargain shoppers. 25 bones for an OES that takes two hours to properly do would mean that I would be paying for some of that groom when all is said and done.

Comment

Working...
                X