I interviwed a girl yesterday and OMG it was a joke! You gotaa read this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I interviwed a girl yesterday and OMG it was a joke! You gotaa read this

Ok I'm looking to hire somebody and this girl came in for an interview. I told her I need somebody three days a week and I would train her to groom. Well she's looking around my salon and says "I wonder if I can set something like this up at my house". I said what do you mean? "Well after you teach me I want to open my own business". I said I'm sorry I'm looking for somebody to stay as in May I'm moving the business out of my home and moving in a salon downtown to grow the business. Then she says Oh well I meant years down the road, well I was hot at this point. I said if you think I'm going to put my time into teaching you to groom and then you go off right away, I do not think so! I told her I was busy and she needed to leave.

That was a lucky break for you and not too smart on her part. That would of been awful for you to put in all of your energy to train someone and then they turn around and do something like that. Not nice!

Comment

Yup, kind of discouraging and maddening, isn't it?

We're in the process of looking for another groomer too. We talked to one girl who thought the number of dogs I do a day (usually 6-9 or so) was way too many to do. (We have a bather also) And she had quite a few years of experience. Unfortunately I think this is going to be a long, hard road.

Comment

Ya can't fix stupid,, I ran into a neighbor at the grocery store last summer. Told her I had just gotten back from grooming a dog with my son ( he goes with me in the summer and helps with the big dogs). She told me I should call her, she would love to go with me to do housecall and I didn't have to pay her at 1st. Seriously, she thought I would pay her to go with me???? All son does is hold the big dogs while I wash them and brush them out. I pay him cause he's my son!!! And never mind all the time and money I spent on grooming school, learning to groom! Geesh! Hehehe

Comment

That is why

Some kind of agreement for training has to be signed. That way, just like at the big box stores, the person realizes the value of the training. They have to work for you for X amount of time, or pay you to leave, and if there is a REASONABLE distance limit, it should stand up.

Comment

OMG !!!THATS INSANE!!!lUCKY you found out now .That girl is stupid she doesnt know how to groom and you were willing to show her and she is already wanting to groom alone from her house???
            I would kill to work with other groomers Im alone and just winging it.

Comment

I had one girl come in... she said her parents owned a place, were going to set her up but she needed someone to really teach her the 'tricks' and help her get experience... now she lives one town over from me... UH HUH

Had another gal come in... said she was in grooming school, was looking to really understand how the 'whole business works' because she was going to open her own place here in town.. UH HUH

Another groomer, worked for us for less than 2 months only to keep asking questions about what kinds of this & that (major equipment) is best, etc, etc, etc... found out she was contacting clients... some clients actually called me to ask me why, they felt it was intrusive & very shady!

Comment

Yea insane huh? Some people are just down right rude! Exactly already thinking about opening her own business. I mean once I learned to groom I knew I wanted to have my own business someday but like you said she has no clue yet what it's even about. I also would never take advantage of somebody like that.

Comment

Hire a guy! No Drama and handy with the big dogs

Comment

So True Sean!

Originally posted by Sean in Utah View Post
                    I'll tell you, in any job I have had, I would usually rather work with a guy any day. Females seem to have more drama, and I find men are easier to get along with for some reason.
                    Men are also handy when things don't work right or heavy things need to be picked up or orders taken off a truck.
                    And I mean no offense to any woman on here. I am a woman, and I do a lot on my own, I can do an oil change, change a tire, ect, but...
                    having a guy around is usually a good thing.

If I get to the point of hiring someone, someday, I will most likely try to hire a guy, especially to train for taking over some of the workload or if i needed time off. They usually gossip less, and if they are nice and well spoken your female clients will visit the charming man at such and such a shop too. Maybe more often than usual

Comment

I agree that it's a good thing she said it in the interview, so you know what she was thinking, and didn't waste your time. Geezz some people
                      "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin

Comment

lol thats actually a good point

Comment

I know what you mean

I 'm trying to find an experienced groomer for my mobile business and so far the three calls I've recieved are no experience and wanting me to teach them and 17 and no drivers license. Hey read the ad! The last groomer I had to let go was grooming for me p/t and for herself the rest of the week. Conflict of interest, Ya Think! I've work with a couple of guys and they were so good with the dogs, so much fun and no drama to boot. Hey Sean know any male groomers in Utah that want to relocate to Idaho Falls?

Comment

I've been on this board for many years and don't contribute much any more but if I may say something.........15 months ago a young lady was referred to me because she wanted to learn to groom(she would pay me) well for the past 8 months she works in my shop 2-3 days per week and grooms in her shop at home. I am so busy that each week I refer clients to her and she grooms the same way I do(as I taught her) and these customers are very pleased with the fact that they can still get their pet groomed(even if I can't do them personally) . They continue to return to me but know that their pet will be taken care of one way or the other. She has her own clients and some of my clients that I have referred have stayed with her(distance to travel and option of grooming times) She will continue to work with me until she chooses not to and I am glad for the opportunity to have given someone a chance at starting a career they dreamed of.
                            Have a Happy Easter and great year of grooming. Oh by the way, I only charged her for the first two weeks,since then she has been earning a fabulous income!

Comment

If only...!

The last working interview i had was a guy. I told him to come in the next week (LOAD of drama about current emp) then he didn't show. Called after noon the next day and tried to tell me he didn't know and then MORE drama about current emp...sheesh!

Been looking going on three years. I'm not wanting much really. Just enough old school to KNOW this is hard work, and enough new school to embrace new tools and such....really, is that too much to ask for?

Comment

Working...
                              X