OES - Wild Children of the K9 World?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OES - Wild Children of the K9 World?

I hate to stereotype breeds, but are all OES semi-nuts?

I have had limited contact w this breed because they are fairly rare as pets.

I attended a conformation training class for several years, and there was an OES breeder there who seemed to have nutty dogs. During each class, we would have everyone clap as each dog moved around the ring (to get show dogs used to applause) and her OES would go nuts springing 5 ft into the air and snapping at her face, every class...this was an ongoing thing with her dogs we had to work on this for her at each class.

Yesterday I get a massive new OES in for a groom and the dog (100+ Lbs) comes flailing into the shop leaping into mid air, lips pulled back so far I could count every tooth in his mouth, bouncing off the walls and counter. During the groom, he would go from a happy wiggling butt and smiling at me, to suddenly roaring like a lion growling and showing me all his teeth, wanting to rip my face off.

Anyone else notice anything kooky about this breed? I have never had the pleasure of meeting a sane one...

i've only met about 10 but the ones i have seen were medium energy and were fairly well behaved (with the exception of few and the owners didn't really care), most of them would correct the dog and said they had to stay in charge because the breed will walk all over you if you let them...
    Maybe the dog you groomed had something wrong with him? He sounds like my dog..who has seizures.

Comment

We do two OES, about 3 years old that are the sweetest things in the world. They're farm dogs, come in filthy dirty, but are extremely patient. It took me two years of talking, but the owner brings them in 3 times a year now versus the once a year he was doing. He had another one before this one and he was a real sweetie too. The ones I knew as show dogs were really laid back. There are good ones out there!

Comment

I've had the exact opposite experience. All the OES I've ever groomed have been really nice, sweet dogs who just want to wiggle and be cute! The most wild one I have actually belongs to a friend/coworker. He came down with Parvo three days after she got him as a puppy. So he's a little..bonkers. Not really in a bad way, but he's always VERY happy. Like, sidewinding and bouncing and demanding attention constantly. But when he's on the grooming table he stands like a perfect statue. Even when being dematted. Parvo did some strange things to him. His fur is a cottony texture more like a poodle with straight hair and he's very slender and long-legged.

Comment

I have loads of experience with them. I worked for a top OES kennel back in the 70's. The show dogs were usually very stable. This was at the heyday of OES and Irish Setters and also believe it or not Bedlingtons.

The mass breeding because the breeds were popular created very bad temperments. Then add to that owners who had no clue and the sixe of them. Loads of problems.

I recently told a client after two years of grooming their male rescue OES I would not do him again. He went for me in a big way. Apparently he attacked a child (previous owner) went into rescue and the my cleints got him. The dog is crazy in imo and dangerous. I told the Mrs. he would end up biting her. Well he did, and badly. Guess what, they still have the dog. He'll wag and be loving, then off he goes.

The female I still do. Sweet and cute like you would expect of the Oes. The previous two they had I adored. One named Haley would make you laugh no matter how bad your day was going. Just a wonderful fun loving dog. Haley was exactly like an OES should be.

One thing about OES they aren't fond of having their feet worked on. They will dance on the table. Most don't like nails done either. I haven't met one yet that was not constanly in motion on the table. Often wonder if it might have something to do with they are constructed. Being slightly higher and rounder in the rump. Plus most are proably with bad hips.

Comment

OES I have done

When I used to do them - a long time ago, lol - most were wonderful, but I had heard even back then (80's and early 90's) of OES that were wild and aggressive, and would bite FACES. Yikes!! That is a bad breeding thing, IMO.

Comment

Every one of them to ever hit my table (15 or so in my entire career) have been wild, uncontrollable AND matted to the skin. Usually barkers also and occasionally biters. I'd love to see one that was in decent condition, maybe it would make a difference.

Comment

I've groomed 3 so far.. one was a regular and he was crazy wild.. got a little better with a lot of work and semi-frequent grooming but still not good. Always matted, don't have him now though - I shaved him after she went 6 weeks over due. Owner knew what was happening but flipped out on me and said she'd never come back(happy dance)! The second was a rescue that was 3 years old and never ever been touched with a brush. He was good but it may have something to do with the fact that he had 6 inches of matted fur covering his body. The other was another rescue.. owner wants him in a full coat........ enough said. He is haywire as well.

Comment

In my 30+ years of grooming...I've had 2 (what I consider) debilitating bites. 1 was from an OES. I was coming down the homestretch of a fairly uneventful (other than annoying behaviour) clipdown and went to lift his ear leather one final time to check the ear. He nailed me so hard and fast...I never saw it coming. He had the meaty part of my left hand, including my ...in his mouth like a bench-vice with teeth.

Lucky for me, unlucky for him, I am right handed and had a serious wood handled English pin brush in that hand. I'm quite sure he saw that coming.
                  I had several good punctures...but the pain and swelling from the crushing pressure was what did me in. Can't say I've been a big fan of OES since then...I tend to price them right out of my clientele.
                  Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

I've only done a few in my long career. One was a really nice dog. Owner brought him in every 2 weeks for a comb out only, and every month for a bath/groom. The other one, years later (and I'll never forget Windsor) was a total PIA. Never still and dumb as a post. And, his owners had sent him to a very well known kennel for training. Guess it didn't take! Then one day, she brought her kids in too-they were as out of control as the dog. Saw them a few times in the grocery store too running amok. Think you get from this breed what you (owners) put into it.
                    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Most of the intact males I have done have been serious biters; I used to know a breeder that had wonderful dogs, she did rescue and put down about 3/4 of the males who came into rescue; even after neutering and training they were too unreliable and dangerous and she refused to adopt a biter out. Most of the females were fine, and sweet; but only ever did one that was in really good shape; a retired champion that came in every four weeks; he got a 1 comb body with scissored legs and full head ( the owner couldn't stand his pink eye rims and light blue eyes); he never had a tangle and was a love to groom; from above breeder.
                      I used to do a ton of them ,now don't do any.

Comment

What timing, I have 2 new OES's coming in this saturday. I am always leary of them. I have groomed great ones which I think is because the owners had control and I have groomed very crazy ones which I think were spoiled and not so trained.
                        I am still leary because back in 1978 when my folks had a boarding kennel my brother got attacked by one. He was just walking by, coming up the road from the river fishing, he just walked by them and the dogs where on lead by the owners, one of them turned lunged, and bit my brother on the leg.
                        So, long story short I always keep a VERY watchful eye on this breed. May not be justified but they are powerful none the less, best to be safe then sorry.

Comment

I love doing OES. They can be a little quarky, but all the ones I've done have been great. We have one that comes in about every 3-4 weeks and gets a 3in scissor cut a/o with bell bottom legs. He is a pleasure to groom! He gives us kisses the whole time, he lets us de-matt him with no problems...he's wonderful.

Comment

I'm glad to hear it isnt just me.

It's so weird how this new one goes from a crazy out of control clown into a raging attack dog. This thing is the size of a Great Dane and OF COURSE..it has to be owned by a family friend so I feel obligated to not jack up the price into oblivion.

Sounds like many of them have their wires crossed in a bad way.

Comment

Yeah, if someone calls me with a new one, I am definitely leary...I just did 2 the other day from the same family. They only come in a couple times a year for a 3/4" c/o, and their owners keep them impeccably brushed. They are pretty well behaved. I personally would rather just do a couple of small dogs instead, lol. Preferably in a 7 kennel, not scissored in any way, shape or form, lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X