Help: Parvovirus information needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: Parvovirus information needed

It was on the new tonight that Prince Edward Island is experiencing new cases and quite a few, more so than normal, they are calling it an outbreak of Parvovirus.

I need to ask some questions about how to prevent this from coming and staying in my grooming room.
    Right now I use bleach and water for all my tools, and the table and floor. I also use Lysol and leave it on my table surface for at least 15 minutes. I have not used Barbicide becasue I have heard it is not good for your tools, and I don't have any or I would use it now!

Is there anything I can buy at the store that I can buy while I wait for an order to come in? Rubbing alcohol? more bleach? anything at all?

Please let me know of any information that will help me to ensure that my grooming area is safe and I will not unknowingly pass this on if I do happen to get a dog who has it. I am very worried and need answers fast.

Also if you know more signs or symptoms other than Not eating, vomiting, diarrhea, goopy eyes that smell. Anything I can look for during my initial exam would be helpful. I would rather catch it at the door than find out later that I could have caught it earlier.
    Thanks in advance
    Lisa

Bleach bleach bleach, then bleach some more for good measure (mix it strong). So far as I know bleach is the only commonly available thing that is 100% effective against it.
    Ask people if they have had their dogs vaccinated upon check in, and possibly add it to your "required" list.
    You can also send an email or something to all your clients and talk about the Parvo breakout and let them know that they should make sure their dog is up to date on all their vaccines.
    Talk to your vet, I don't know the area or the particular outbreak so there may be something unique about it.

Comment

Info I know from working for vets for 10 years:

Make sure all dogs are vaccinated for parvo (usually in a combo vax such as dhpp or dhlpp).

No young puppies that aren't through all their vaccinations

When caring for parvo dogs at the clinic they kept a bleach/water towel at the doorway of the room the sick dog was in so that one walked on it within entering and exiting the room.

Comment

Why don't you require vaccinations?

Bleach works, I personally wouldn't use an off brand with this because it needs to be a chlorinated bleach...Clorox seems to be best. Use a dilution of about 25:1 or 30:1. There are any manner of cleaners that kill it that you can order, (My shop uses A33) but bleach is the most accessible. Lysol and alcohol will not kill parvo.

Don't take puppies without their FULL set of vaccines, and older dogs are also more susceptible. I'd watch these more closely. I also require that every dog that walks through my doors bring proof of their vaccines reguardless of age for this very reason.

Parvo has a very distinct smell. Once you smell it you should be able to tell from then on if a dog has it. Of course, I'm sure that doesn't help you now, but once you come into contact with it, it'll help you in the future!

You should also look for extreme lethargy, sometimes it's also accompanied by a fever. Vomiting and diarrhea, as you mentioned, are the most prevalent symptoms.

Just be diligent, check and recheck everything, disinfect everything!
        There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

Thank you

Bleach is pretty much all I use now, I use it and water to soak all my equipment in the bottom of my tub for 20 minutes, I then HV the daylights out of it all then oil what needs to be oiled. I use the same on my floors, walls tubs, and everything except my clippers pretty much.
          The Lysol on my table was more or less to protect me. When people come down to my grooming room they usually touch the table,and since the fall I have been getting sick quite a bit, so I tried that thinking if I was missing an edge or something it might help me. And it smells better than the bleach, though not by much.
          I do require vaccines, but do to a shady business around here and a vet, there were dogs sold that had proof of all shots and de-worming and then sold with the proof, well, it has been found out that these 2 were in cahoots and not all these dos had their shots.
          The person selling the dogs is up on I think 18 charges right now, not sure about the vet in question.
          I just don't want to take any chances with any of the animals that are trusted to my care. So I want to make sure I am doing everything I can to protect them, just in case.

Thanks for all your advice and information, I appreciate it very much
          Lisa

Comment

Parvo is NOT an airborne virus, so unless a pet is having diarrhea or vomiting (or other bodily fluids) in your place, the disinfection shouldn't be such a huge issue and if a pet is displaying those types of symptoms, you should be taking it any way. As for other symptoms, they can seem perfectly fine one day and deathly sick the next, so you may not recognize ANY symptoms 24 hours prior. I would explain to EVERY client about the possible outbreak of Parvo in your area and do a general disclaimer and make them SIGN IT stating you are NOT responsible if their pet gets sick, that you use care in requiring vaccination, cleaning, etc, but during an outbreak, even with the stictest care in cleanliness, dogs can be exposed. What's to say they didn't pick it up on their feet coming INTO your place or on a walk just prior to coming in? You have to protect yourself, but people who are careless during this type of outbreak are going to lose pets and if that pet has just been groomed, they are going to assume that they got it at the groomer. If people are not willing to sign the wavier releasing you of liability, then DON'T groom their dog!

Clorox needs to be mixed as a 10% solution (to be safe) or you can use the vet-type anti-viral disinfectants such as Parvolan.

Comment

Parvo is not airborne, but it can be carried into your shop on feet, both dog feet and human shoes. It's also contagious before the animal shows symptoms, so a dog could be shedding the virus and still appear perfectly healthy when it's in for grooming. There are also dogs who will never break with symptoms, but are carriers. Kinda like Typhoid Mary.

Bleach is highly effective if used properly. The dilution rate is pretty exact; 30:1. More is not better, so measure. All surfaces to be disinfected should be wiped clean of any debris, then apply the bleach solution. It should remain wet for 10 minutes. If it starts to dry out, rewet with more bleach solution. Finish up by wiping or mopping with plain water.

I know there are people who will dispute this, but since so many people have stopped vaccinating their pets after they finish the initial puppy series, there has been a decided up-tick in the number of parvo and distemper cases being reported. While both diseases have previously been considered to be mainly puppyhood diseases, both are showing up in greater numbers in adult dogs. It would appear that the idea of life-long immunity was a mistake.

There are also new strains of parvo that develop over the years. It's entirely possible that a new strain could emerge that the vaccines don't cover. So disinfecting protocols should never be allowed to slip. Develop a good routine for disinfection, and follow it daily.

Comment

Just a note; please don't use lysol on your table or in cages where animals are held. It is very toxic to cats and some dogs; much safe to use parvisol or bleach.
                Deidre

Comment

another good place to check for a cleaner would be any chemical distributers in your area. We have one here that handles restraunts and carpet cleaning businesses, vets also. Just make sure to tell them what your looking for specifically. I get a lemon scented disinfectant from one and do my grooming room with it after a messy dog ( i work for a vet the amount of blood and bodily fluids that enter my grooming area are high)

Comment

Just because it isn't airborne does't mean dogs wont be carrying it in on their feet, even vaccinate dogs can bring in infected soil. It can also take up to ten days to show symptoms and they are still shedding the virus during that time so just because they are not notably ill yet doesn't mean they don't have it. I wouldn't want to risk it and would bleach everything and be generally neurotic about it. Having them sign a sheet would be a good idea, if for no other reason than you know they are going to know about the outbreak and avoid places like dog parks that would have a higher risk.

Comment

[QUOTE=OntheBRINKofDisaster;401421]
                      Parvo has a very distinct smell. Once you smell it you should be able to tell from then on if a dog has it. Of course, I'm sure that doesn't help you now, but once you come into contact with it, it'll help you in the future! QUOTE]

Not always. That smell comes from necrotic intestinal tissues. Some dogs don't develop necrosis. It can attack their heart and other organs, especially some of the newer strains. If that happens they don't have that smell. They also don't have it until after they break with diarrhea, so a dog can be shedding the virus and still not have the smell.

Comment

this is the man/store involved and all charges are pending against him

Here is a letter to the editor, If you look up the name snookums, or Bud Wheatley you will find many more, this is heartbreaking,
                        http://dogkisser.blogspot.com/2004/0...in-todays.html

Comment

Clean your shop as you have been doing. Concentrate on grooming healthy dogs from good clients that have a good client relationship with a quality vet and your risk is tremendously minimized. Pets in your shop should not have contact with each other and if someone's dog doesn't feel well, it isn't the time for a groom.

Mixing bleach stronger than recommended does not make it work any better, but does put more risk to your equipment (it is very caustic) and puts more risk on the user (really, the safety hazards on a bleach bottle are nothing to laugh at.) Bleach will "pit" stainless steel and is not recommended as a disinfectant for stainless. Bleach also is not extremely stable. Don't store it. If your jug of bleach lasts you 6 months, buy a smaller jug more often. Bleach can lose it's affectiveness just sitting in the bottle on the shelf, but it is even faster after you open the bottle. Smaller jugs purchased more often is the simple answer.

While many dogs affected with Parvo do have a very nasty smell, that smell is not diagnostic of Parvo. I think Helly stated it in that it isn't actually the Parvo you are smelling but the affects of it, which can indeed be symptoms in other diseases.

Parvo is mainly a puppy/young dog disease, however it can affect adult dogs. Vaccinations are very affective against Parvo. There is a new strain out to which vaccines are not quite as reliable. Many owners don't realize puppies need a series of vaccinations, and many think the vaccine immediately protects their puppy. Be cautious, but if you are taking care, your exposure/infection risk should be minimal.

If there is a shady vet in your area, I would think it would be simple enough to question the vaccination status of dogs vaccinated by that particular vet. Newly purchased puppies should definitely be considered risky, especially from highly questionable sources such as pet stores or poor quality breeders.

The story posted tells me nothing more than the woes of an owner that purchased a puppy from a pet store. With the education and information available in this day and age, anyone that believes a pet store is a reliable and quality source for a puppy is someone that is choosing to bury their head in the sand. I'm not saying she deserved what she got, as nobody, and no puppy deserves to go through that, but it just is not unusual to get an unhealthy puppy from a poor source. It's entirely possible the pet store had no idea the puppy was even sick. Parvo often has symptoms that are sudden onset. Puppies look perfectly normal, playing, having a great time, eating well, and boom, 12 hours later they can be seriously ill and in need of hospitalization.

Comment

Responsible pet owners have been trying to shut this man down for over 10 years. The links below are news articles, not just one persons story. However my story with them is included, as I had first hand dealings with this man and his shop!
                            My personal experience was because a female dog I owned who was due to be spayed ended up pregnant. We continued the pregnancy and she gave birth to 7 puppies and she was a sheltie/terrier mix unknown who the father was as she was not an outdoor dog, and only once did my daughters take her to a local park where they said a dog was playing with her, we assumed this was the playing that got her "knocked up" When the puppies were old enough some friends took some and family the others. We had 3 left and had a lady come to the house that wanted all 3. I couldn't imagine why so I asked if she was re-selling them and she said yes. She was working for Snookums pet store. That evening another lady came buy and was looking at getting a puppy for her niece for her birthday. Her parents approved the idea and she had a letter stating that and their address and phone number. I tried calling and no answer, so I gave her a puppy.
                            I had a feeling after she left. So at 9 am the next morning I went in to Snookums. The dog was for sale as a Purebred German Sheppard for $699.00 All needles, de-wormed and given a clean bill of health.They had only had the dog less than 12 hours. It left my house at 9:30 pm and at 9 the next morning it was in a large glass cage with the for sale sign on it. I called the police, got into an argument with the owner and showed the police a photocopy of the letter I had been given by the lady the night before. I also identified her as she was working at cleaning the cages out back and the police talked to her and she confirmed that it was part of her job to scan Used PEI and pick up any free puppies that were on there. The police handed me the puppy back and took him in for questioning. No charges were laid at that time. The police however did wonder where the paperwork for the health of the dog was and it was out back, filled in by a veterinarian. They could not tell me the result of the investigation at that time. There are a lot of people who "lost" dogs who also found them for sale at this pet shop. In almost all matters they were not given back the dogs until one was deemed to have a microchip and they scanned it. Sure enough the man who said his dog was lost, was given his dog back.
                            CHECK OUT THE OTHER LINKS:

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/index.cfm?sid=329103&sc=98
                            http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/index.c...=331666&sc=267
                            http://www.cbc.ca/canada/prince-edwa...l-pet-584.html

Puppies across Canada is still in operation, only I believe they are using a relative of his, and a new name. The dogs are still being bred and sold outside of PEI.

Comment

Wow Gluegirl I wonder if this is the same breeder who we got puppies from at work. We had a client who bought 2 german shepard puppies who came down with parvo. They ended up suing us... I dont remember what their reason was .. somehow they blamed us for the parvo (they were the first parvo dogs we have seen in YEARS so they didnt get it from us) We won the court case when we found out the breeder had sold multiple puppies who had parvo

Comment

Working...
                              X