Know your breeds!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Know your breeds!

Back in December I met a man who was walking his dogs while I was unloading my stuff for a house call client in his neighborhood. He ask about my services and I gave him my card. I did meet his dogs that day, and they were two cute little Caveliers, white and tan, not bigger than a minute. Fast forwad to this week, finally get a call from him and schedule the appointment for this morning. The only other Cavelier I have ever groomed was a puppy. I was excited because I love this breed, they are so cute and soft, and sweet, little angels from God! I get to the house, do a meet and greet, ( was told the male had issues with people in his house). Now, I am Miss Know it all, graduated with honors, yada yada yada,,,,somehow, in my mind King Charles Cavelier Spaniels had just become cute little Cavvies,,,,forgot all about the spaniel part untill I got the boy in the tub and my hand touched those ears. Once I got him on my table, I felt like my arm was gonna fall off blow drying his ears, plus his coat was more like a cocker, took me forever to dry. The female wasn't so bad, her coat was more like what I had expected. The whole time I am drying the boy. I kept thinking to myself, what an idiot I am, I forgot all about the spaniel part,,,lol. The male was good for the groom for the most part, didn't like me touching his front feet, he acted up a few times, but I sang to him while I was trimming his feet and he seemed to calm down. Now I have had this dog on my table about 1 & 1/2 hrs, carried him out from the bath, other than the front feet, he was a good boy. Finished him, put him on my hip, took him inside to dad. As soon as I put him down he turned and attacked me, tried to bite me on the leg. Luckly, I am fast for a old lady,, he only made a little mark on my leg. Come to find out his nick name is Cujo! He tries to attack everyone who is INSIDE his house,,,so now I get the reference about his house issues,,,lol. Anyhoo, got there at 10:30, left at 2:15, was totally worn out. I would have bought me a Mikes thing, but since I don't drink much any more, I decided on a Boston creme pie to heal my tired arms and sore leg. And I will never forget that cute little Cavvies are dang Spaniels!!!!
    Last edited by RudyRoo; 03-24-10, 07:37 PM.

There is a formula to figure out how long it will take to dry a Cavs ears.

The hair grows exponentially AS you are drying it. Just the act of wetting the hair down starts a growth spurt...kinda like watching those Cha-Cha-Chia Pets growing that creepy botanical (?) stuff on TV.

The formula kinda goes like this.... I15 + H20 + HV = I15squared.

The breakdown is I15 means you "eye" the ear and figure it will take 15 minutes to dry it.
    Then the addition of water and follow-up HV action..... ultimately = your original 15 minutes multiplied by itself.

The final time that elapses from start, to the end product of a dry ear is 225 minutes. And that's just one ear.

Sooo....all things considered, you did REALLY well. I hope you share your secret with us.

Someone (Windy, maybe) had a great shortcut using wrapped layers of paper towels that cuts the drying time down significantly to a more manageable number...like 93 minutes per ear.
    Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

That's funny Rudyroo! If I ever get a cav to groom, I'll try to remember!

Comment

I know they have the happy hoodies, but what I do with thick heavy ears is fold a 1.50 walmart towel-for those of you who have bought these you know the thickness, LOL- wrap it around the head like you would the happy hoodie and clip those claw hair clips on either side of the towel to hold, play with it a bit until you get it to stay in place...or you can just buy the happy hoodie...i keep forgetting to do that so i use towels w/clips...soaks up a lot of water, if I am in a big hurry for say cockers, I will use 'hand towels' and wrap legs and whatever else needs wrapped while I dry one leg.
        On the ears, if you have problems w/the towel staying in place you can always hook the clip to a piece of ear hair, just do not clip flaps or skin, will irritate and make the dog uncomfortable-obviously.
        Oh, small dogs, you can wrap 'hand towel' size for less bulk. Gosh for that matter, if you sew or knows someone who does, you can make your own wraps out of worn towels, you will fold them anyway, and put velcro on them. Just thought of that, or someone else on the boards has mentioned it before, not sure now! Anyway, I am going to make some. I have some towels that need to retire.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Sibes View Post
          There is a formula to figure out how long it will take to dry a Cavs ears.

The hair grows exponentially AS you are drying it. Just the act of wetting the hair down starts a growth spurt...kinda like watching those Cha-Cha-Chia Pets growing that creepy botanical (?) stuff on TV.

The formula kinda goes like this.... I15 + H20 + HV = I15squared.

The breakdown is I15 means you "eye" the ear and figure it will take 15 minutes to dry it.
          Then the addition of water and follow-up HV action..... ultimately = your original 15 minutes multiplied by itself.

The final time that elapses from start, to the end product of a dry ear is 225 minutes. And that's just one ear.

Sooo....all things considered, you did REALLY well. I hope you share your secret with us.

Someone (Windy, maybe) had a great shortcut using wrapped layers of paper towels that cuts the drying time down significantly to a more manageable number...like 93 minutes per ear.
          WOW Sibes Your maths skills are superb, I love that formula lolol.

Comment

Originally posted by petgroomaustralia View Post
            WOW Sibes Your maths skills are superb, I love that formula lolol.
            Ha ha ha,, my math skills are really bad, I am so glad Sibes was able to help with the drying time formula for ears,,,lmao

Comment

Oh wow Ive NEVER heard of an aggressive Cavalier (except for those food aggressive as they are little food hounds) Every one I have ever met (and owned 2) have been little sweethearts and just happy dogs. I use the hand towel wrapped around the ears to help get my dogs ears dry faster, shes got super thick ears and doesn't like the HV on it. It helps SOOO much when I wrap them! I have used towel wrapping on ears for a couple other dogs I groom, but none need it as much as my own dog, haha.

Comment

Yeap, gotta say ears on a cav are tricky, I have one who because I babysit all the time is part of my pack and household, still he is a buthole for his ears. Not only cause his problemo parents won't brush his ears cause he gets "mad" at them. Ya think? His name is Elliot and he is 12lbs soakin wet. I cannot even get mad I just laugh at him and tell him "ET GETS HIS EARS DONE" and I also sing to him, which probably hurts more then the drying part, so he gives in just so I'll shut-up!
                Kidding aside, those ears take a long time to dry, I also use a happy hoodie. Love them!

Comment

I love Cavs, in fact they are my favorite breed and I plan on owning and hopefully showing ad breeding one day in the future. I have never had a Cav act aggressive in any way, I'm so shocked! The white and tan are called Blenheim. The reds are called Ruby, then of course black and tan and tricolors. I don't know why so many breeds seem to have their own name for the same color! It's a chocolate lab, but a Springer is liver LOL.
                  I haven't had any issues really with getting the Cavs dry on their bodies. The ears, well, a lot of my clients keep them short, but the few full eared Cavs I do (is that a word? Eared? LOL) do require some extra drying time. Luckily most don't mind the dryer in the slightest and to be honest, about half the Cavs I do have very thin coats. Which is ironic since the local breeder tends to breed them with very cottony coats, so most of these dogs are not from her. Many that I do have more the coat of a Papillion.
                  What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

I've never met a mean cavalier.

RudyRoo: To save time, bathe one, towel dry it, then wrap it in a fresh towel, with a happy hoodie or towel around it's head/ears. Then put it in a crate on a towel. Do the same to the other. After you bath and wrap the 2nd dog, go back and dry the first. It should not take you more than an hour to do a cavalier for your basic pet style on them.

I like their personalities, unfortunately I just don't like their looks. Never met a mean one, though, all are very sweet.

Tammy in Utah
                    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
                      I've never met a mean cavalier.

RudyRoo: To save time, bathe one, towel dry it, then wrap it in a fresh towel, with a happy hoodie or towel around it's head/ears. Then put it in a crate on a towel. Do the same to the other. After you bath and wrap the 2nd dog, go back and dry the first. It should not take you more than an hour to do a cavalier for your basic pet style on them.

I like their personalities, unfortunately I just don't like their looks. Never met a mean one, though, all are very sweet.

Tammy in Utah
                      I was on a housecall appointment, so I didn't have anywhere to let one sit whiile I worked on the other one. Is the one downside of housecall, having to groom the dogs straight thru. I usually never have a problem with dogs, even when the parents tell me they don't behave or the last groomer couldn't do their nails,, etc. Being attacked took me totally by suprise, espeically since I had just spent the last hour & 1/2 with him being well behaved during the groom,,,

Comment

All the Cavaliers that we board and groom are fear biters and one is just mean, must be our area, and they do seem to take forever to dry.
                        Years ago all our scotties and westies were terrible and I love grooming both breeds, now I do tons of both and almost all are just great.

Comment

Working...
                        X