negative 'supporters' vent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• negative 'supporters' vent

So I went LLC today, just to add some layer of protection to my business as it is in my home. I personally feel better having it in place. Of course, people-family and friend, informed me that gives me nothing and what a waste of money, only a way for the state to line their pockets and of course my cpa.
    Then how my measely $500 a year I pay to Gov. Ins. is wayyyyy too much and I could get it wayyyy cheaper elsewhere. Why on earth would I throw my money away on LLC and overpriced gimmick insurance.
    And then there is wanting to go mobile for the last 2 years. 'I just dont see how that would make any money, the price of gas, the wear and tear on a vehicle, and OMG where on earth will you dump the water?!' And my all time favorite "no one will pay that kind of money around here or anywhere for that when they can get it done cheaper".
    What is it with me that I am surrounded by 'supportive' people who treat me like I am an incompetent numby. Do I present myself this way? That I know nothing about this industry? Or the people who use our services?
    Why am I expected to live like a poor person chasing that dream the rest of my life, being over 70 living in a reduced income senior housing project and eating cat food?
    I am just so frustrated that people who 'care' about me treat me like I am an idiot. Anyone else get this or am I the only incompetent idiot in the grooming industry, lol.
    Ugh...thanks for listening, LOL.
    Maybe i am doing it all wrong, I should use dawn dish soap for shampoo, buy a pair of scissors from the dollar store and a $20 set of clippers from Wallymart and advertise cheap cheap cheap grooms with extra discount coupons on craigslist....

I hear ya, and I feel your pain... Your friends and family mean well. Just take a deep breath and remember that they do care. Look for support in people that understand the business.
    Last edited by Cat Crazy; 03-24-10, 07:48 PM.
    "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go." ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

they dont know what they are talking about

I had the same thing when I went to grooming school, I was working full time in a well paying job but not happy. found grooming and went to work to make myself happy. when I first started telling people what I was going to do they said you will never leave your job to start a business, well 5 years later happily grooming with 2 rigs I just smile everytime I see this person. especailly when she asked me to groom her dog for free! lets just say I wont even groom for her for big $$. Believe in yourself and keep plucking away, you will get there and be happy you made the choices you did.

Comment

Dear Henry, No one heard more negative stuff then I did. My husbands family and even my family all laughed their head's off when I told them I wanted to go to grooming school. They all thought it was ridiculous. Especially when I told them I wanted to buy a brand new grooming van. To anyone that knows me and my story...I've gone on to have have an amazing amount of success, write a book, have a blog, get on Animal Planet. I've never been happier or had more fun. You really can't listen to anyone. Follow your own dreams.

Guess what what my neighbor said to me the day I brought my van home? He looked it over and asked me "When are you selling it?" He has been out of work for a year while my business just grows and grows. lol
        Last edited by wet noze; 03-24-10, 05:37 PM. Reason: typo/edit
        www.gomobileandsucceed.com
        http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Follow your dreams and PROVE THEM WRONG…..that’s what I did. My oldest brother tried to talk me out of going mobile, purchasing a new WGT and starting a business at my age (retired)……..after 4 months, my brother couldn’t believe my success...and now laughs at himself for his short-sidedness.

Happy going mobile

Dolly’s Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Don't feel bad your not alone my husband is negative always trying to find ways to talk me into wait yet another year to start doing mobile it drives me insane. As i have only been grooming here and there part-time the last year I keep telling him my skills are getting rusty and I can't wait another year.

Comment

Oh yeah, heard that stuff...

Well, in order to find more positive support you usually have to talk to people who know the business. And most people don't know anything about it!! When I was younger and trained dogs, everyone said, "I guess you're going to be a vet" because that was the only type of dog professional they had heard of. That's just the way it is, generally speaking.

So don't talk to those people about your business - talk to BUSINESS people and especially those in the SAME business!! It's the only way you usually get some true understanding and intelligent comments.

Comment

Been there heard all that. Over 30 years in this business I'm still going strong and making money.

When I bought my Elite, one of my neighbors made a comment to me that it was the biggest waste of money he ever saw. Need I say that his house went into foreclosure and he filed for bankruptcy. Works for the Post office...go figure.

Try to ignore them and follow your heart and dream.

Comment

WoW I thought I was the only on getting bad feedback from family

Comment

I am so glad to know that others are/have been in the same boat. I have been in the business since October of 1989. This is what these people do not get, I know a little something about something (hahaha, got that from a movie-robert de'niro i believe), I have somehow even managed to run my own home base biz for over 10 years now. They do not get why i want to go mobile when I have NO overhead being home based (HAHAHA ya right). They think that I am being petty because I kinda want my house back after 10+ years. Don't get me wrong, it is/has been great, I am very fortunate, but sometimes its time for a change. We have lost a certain amount of privacy being home based, people will call in the evenings and sundays and get upset if-and I do not-answer their calls. I guess because I am home I am open 24-7. And of course I can be 'cheap' because I just do this for fun because its in my home. I feel I have presented myself in a professional manner at least the last 6 years-attending seminars, raising prices, instilling policies and boundaries. Yet, a lot of people do not take me seriously..go figure. My husband is supportive, he wants our house back too, LOL. Somedays I tell ya, you just want to stand on the highest mountain, bare your behind, hold up the 2 middle fingers and tell em all to kiss my butt, LOL. I really want to be the 'i'll show you' and hope it doesnt bite me in the butt!
                    I plan to make the mobile move in a year, plenty of time to get all the ducks in a row, etc. I really want an elite, like the idea of the extra room and the toilet!!!! And someday I secretly want to be one of our industry spokespeople, to help others, to make a difference for someone, to lead the masses!!! Groomer's unite!! We are powerful and not going to take any ****!!!!! Ok, so I am being a little silly, probably know what I mean though! lol
                    Anyway, thank you all for listening, again, its comforting to know that others have dealt with the same issues and that we have groomer talk to connect!

Comment

What is wrong with some people ? In all of my years of being a groomer I have never been talked down or made to feel inferior to due to my career choice. My friends and family have always been very supportive of me and are actually proud of what I do.Do not let others make you feel as if you don't have a single working brain cell .You know the reasons you went LLC You have no one to answer to about your decisions its for your protection not theirs. If they cannot understand it tough cookies for them.

Comment

You teach people how to treat you. No one can walk on you if you don't lay down, and no one can have an argument by themselves. Simply stop listening! Change the subject. Put your fingers in your ears and sing "LALALALALALA". Walk away. Do whatever it takes by STOP LISTENING.

This is such a common problem. It's not something reserved just for groomers. And it's so common because we listen to all the **** and don't put a stop to it. It's amazing how much manners and consideration for others has deteriorated over the last century. It's time to stop putting up with it and expect people to treat us better. Because we're the ones who've taught them that they can get away with it.

Stop listening.

Comment

Can I put all of you in my back pocket for the next family get together? LOL

I like to talk about my business w/my family because I am of course, proud of it! Sometimes they just take me by surprise with the reactions when I tell them something. Like the LLC, I was/am excited about it, makes me feel better...all they had to say was congrats...actually what I had expected them to say...but nope, we have to butcher something simple like that.
                          I love what I do, not going to change that, but these people are about to get an earfull from me, 30+ years of a built up earful, LOL. and it ain't gonna be pretty!!

Comment

You know, you actually said just about what you need to say whenever you start getting flack. It goes like this: "I like what I do, and I'm not going to change." You might also consider "Can you say the same thing?" or "I'm really not interested in hearing all the negitive comments. So please, let's just change the subject.

Comment

Helly is right! You need to project it with enthusiasm and confidence. They will eventually figure out how to zip it. My MIL stil thinks I have a nice hobby- but I think she has realized the value of the hard work I do! BUt I talk about all the wonderful clients I have and how I hobnob on my message board with people whose dogs were in Crufts and Westminster and how an internationally accalimed groomer stripped my baby girl as a demonstration dog and just how awesome it is to get to know all these people. When you drown them in that much excitement, they just zip it.

Comment

Working...
                              X