Accomplishing Teddy heads on Poodles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accomplishing Teddy heads on Poodles

I was peeking once again at the Japense styles and am going to attempt one of these head styles on Saturday with a mini-poo I can do what I want with.

Do you think the look is accomplished like teddy heads on other breeds by using the same blade on the cheeks/under the ears and on the chin that you use on the body and then ears to leather and scissor into the shorter head? Then just scissor around eyes and down nose leaving the little moustache kind of look?

If you use a 3 3/4 body would you shave a pom into the tail or just scissor to trim?

oops tried to take the 3rd duplicate picture off but couldn't figure out how.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dog Daze; 03-24-10, 03:52 PM.

I generally use yellow on top and sides of head, light purple on muzzle and tan/orange under chin. Its easy and super cute. The tan is about the same length as the 3 3/4.

Comment

Originally posted by petgroomaustralia View Post
      I generally use yellow on top and sides of head, light purple on muzzle and tan/orange under chin. Its easy and super cute. The tan is about the same length as the 3 3/4.
      Are you referring to the wahl SS combs

Comment

Why is everyone calling this "Japanese Styling?" We were doing this 30 years ago. And I imagine the old groomers of that day had been doing it for 30 years, too.

Comment

Yes, the Wahl combs, you can just mix and match them to get any look you want. Obviously we are all calling it Japanese style because its the usual way the Japanese groomers do their dogs. I do a lot of dogs like this so you can call it Linda's style if you want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I got the pictures from a japanese website and I've never done teddy heads on poodles just other breeds. I certainly have never done the big poofy bell bottom looking legs with the shorter body either

Comment

Originally posted by petgroomaustralia View Post
              Yes, the Wahl combs, you can just mix and match them to get any look you want. Obviously we are all calling it Japanese style because its the usual way the Japanese groomers do their dogs. I do a lot of dogs like this so you can call it Linda's style if you want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              I personally don't want to call it anything of the sort. It's just that the whole "Japanese styling" craze has gotten about as silly as the designer dog thing. It isn't anything special. We've done the same thing for years and years and years. Calling it "Japanese styling" insinuates that they've invented something new. It's not new. It's older than dirt. And probably French, seeing as they're the ones who thought it would be fun to turn Poodles into walking topiary in the first place.

Comment

Walking Topiaries!

I love it!

Comment

What ever it is, it's darn cute.

I've done similar myself before I knew any names for it. Glad someone else here refers to the Wahl colors too, I can never read those sizes, so I just think colors and mark the card for the dog by colors of combs and any other blades. Got me a new #30 yesterday. Hope I can keep all its' teeth from chipping.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                    Why is everyone calling this "Japanese Styling?" We were doing this 30 years ago. And I imagine the old groomers of that day had been doing it for 30 years, too.
                    LOL helly ^5

Comment

To me the Japanese style is a different style that just a teddy head on a poodle. There is FLAIR about it that is lacking in many grooms today. The scissoring on many of the poodle is impeccable, the flaired legs are stylized and the faces are MORE than just teddy style. There is a shape to them that is not like anything I have seen before in the US. They look like ANIME characters or stuffed toys. If you actually know people who were doing this style and designwork years ago, I applaud them. Right now it isnt being seen anywhere outside of Japan except in limited amounts, and I am not sure why. It is unique, hard to do and extremely cute cute cute
                      <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

My file cards say simply "mutt cut" which is how I have recorded non-traditional faces on poodles for years! Maybe I should go back and change all cards to say Japanese style! LOL I actually do a lot more poodles with fluffy (mutt) faces than with shaved faces and always have.

Comment

It was a joke Helly, I was being silly, geeze, some people just have no sense of humour. I think the heads are really easy to do, the legs are harder but its like anything else, just a matter of training your eye. The problem is getting client dogs that are done regularly enough to keep it up on. My toy poodle is kept in this style now, everyone loves it. I agree with Debi that its a lot like the anime and has probably been inspired by it. Ive never seen it before the Japanese did it either and I have tons of old grooming books, I collect them, if you can find any links to old stuff Helly I'd love to have a look at them.

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
                            To me the Japanese style is a different style that just a teddy head on a poodle. There is FLAIR about it that is lacking in many grooms today. The scissoring on many of the poodle is impeccable, the flaired legs are stylized and the faces are MORE than just teddy style. There is a shape to them that is not like anything I have seen before in the US. They look like ANIME characters or stuffed toys. If you actually know people who were doing this style and designwork years ago, I applaud them. Right now it isnt being seen anywhere outside of Japan except in limited amounts, and I am not sure why. It is unique, hard to do and extremely cute cute cute
                            Exactly, and Hair Hair!! So well said!
                            These stylists PERFECT geometrics and reflect that unique talent in their grooms along with an unrivaled ability to create detailed work on a medium that, like so many other arts that they have mastered and I am in awe of, is not only ALIVE, but MOVING. As well as this, taking down the walls of conventional breed standard grooming, and wielding their shears to create quite unique and some pretty fantastically creative and flattering grooms. If some of us had even a sliver of the dedication that these stylists exude in the many hours that they practice before even getting to TOUCH a live animal,,,then we would indeed be getting this wave of styling credited to us here in the US (of which we'd have the right to be proud),,but as of yet,,we are not (but some of us are already getting there!!)--so, I will continue to refer to it as "Japanese Styling".
                            The walking topiaries thing,,that was actually funny!!
                            Now, I have gotten off topic....on with the thread.
                            Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
                            www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                              Really...? Groomers have been doing this for going on 60 years? Where the heck were, or are they all, then?
                              You say, "We,,,", but I would love to see the photos Helly,, because if you are grooming like this,,you deserve one great round of applause--and I will be front & center; and running over with genuine admiration.
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~
                              This level of grooming isn't practiced at to be scoffed at,,how about some respect? Even if we don't like some of the styles,,we still should be honest with ourselves enough to say when there is a high level of talent being shown. But then you are always disrespecting others ability and talent,,and I for one am bored with it. This styling and attention to beauty has EARNED the right to be admired. I am happy that others are taking notice and challenging themselves to try it instead of just saying "Ho-Hum,,been there, done that", when we both know that's SIMPLY NOT the case.
                              Last edited by windywaycavaliers; 03-26-10, 09:45 PM.
                              Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
                              www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Working...
                              X