Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what blade do you use for a shih/poo's belly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what blade do you use for a shih/poo's belly?

I always used a 10fc on bellys (not the chest area), except when grooming a double coated dog and the owner tells me that its causes a problem, or if there is a skin problem. Apparantly, I shaved this dogs belly too short. All the client did was point out that the belly hair was shorter because the dog had been spade.
    What does everyone else do?

If you mean the sanitary area, I always use a 10.

Comment

I always use a #10 for sanitarys. Vet techs often save more/different "sanitary" area for a spay so that may be what the client is reffering to. I have a few girl dogs that have owners that don't like that look so I will use the same blade as the body except directly around the girl parts.

Comment

I've found that many of them get itchy when I use a 10, especially if the skin is pink. I usually use a 7.

Oh yeah, a spade is a garden tool. What we do to female dogs is spay them.

Comment

For dual coated breeds that do get sanitary trim(belly) I always use an #8 1/2 , other breeds normally get a 10 but if the dog is sensitive I will use the 8 1/2 for those as well .for dogs that become easily irritated by shaving the hiney ( anal)) I scissor trim those which tends to not irritate them

Comment

A 10 on the belly/sanitary, or a 7f, 81/2 if tender or double coated. The rest of the underside, I use the same blade length as the body only in reverse.
            Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

I use a #10 for sani's but if the dog is sensitive I used a snap on #4 comb. That way the blade never touches the skin to cause the irritation.

Comment

I use a 10 unless they are sensitive, then I put the red wahl ss comb over it. They generally use a 40 before surgery and quite a few dogs get a rash.

Comment

Most of the time I use a 15 ceramic unless the dog is very sensitive.

Lisa

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                    I've found that many of them get itchy when I use a 10, especially if the skin is pink. I usually use a 7.

Oh yeah, a spade is a garden tool. What we do to female dogs is spay them.
                    OOPs.... You are so right! I was writing this in a hurry, between clients. Sorry

Comment

Working...
                    X