A couple Poodle Grooming questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple Poodle Grooming questions

Believe it or not Poodles are pretty rare in my neck of the woods. So I have very few I groom. 4 to be exact All 4 of these poo's are standards and are groomed in Bikini clips with full topknots. (Yes, they are all owned within the same family)
    My two questions are this:
    1. how do you blend in a full TK to a #4 blade? When I say full I mean sorta like Cher....lol
    2. What is the quickest and easiest way to make the poms full and round? I am still in the process of growing out the poms so that I can round them in. As of right now they are quite "tubular". But I know I will need to round them in next time they are here and it is proving difficult for me.
    Thanks in advance
    Mandy, Birdie, Evie, Willie and The Woo
    Check out my Blog at doggydivasdish.com

Here's a picture of a standard I do in a #4 body with a #1 on the legs. Her topknot is pretty full except for the front. They like it shorter there. You just do it the same way you'd do any other crest just slightly shorter or you just have to expect that it will be a little unbalanced with the body being short like that. If the legs are longer then it helps with the balance issue.
    Attached Files

Comment

ooops..forgot your other question. As far as the poms go you will have to just bevel the bottom and top of the pom and let the rest grow. It might take a few grooms to get them where you want them.

Comment

How much of a crest are you able to leave? I use the crest to blend the TK into the body. I just did my first miami(bekini) on a standard. I think its a fun clip. I will try to figure out how to post pics as I did a #4 on the body as well.

Comment

If you look at notes from the grooming table, it doesnt blend in at all.

Comment

Originally posted by gonegrooming View Post
            ooops..forgot your other question. As far as the poms go you will have to just bevel the bottom and top of the pom and let the rest grow. It might take a few grooms to get them where you want them.
            I seem to have issues with beveling the top of the pom.....the leg seems to be in my way....
            also, thanks for the pic on the TK... that is how I normally do Tk's on dogs I have groomed in the past. they just don't want the TK scissored at all and right now it just looks strange to leave a messy unscissored TK and then have a crest. I'm just confused lol

Comment

For that natural Tk to short body look, blend the head line area to neck with thinning shears to create a softer more natural appearance .

Comment

Both Scarlett and Emily have full topknots and no crest; I blend them in a little bit but for the most part, the tk is left messy and natural
                ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
                Apparently common sense isn't all that common
                *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

Originally posted by Moonpiepoodlz View Post
                  Both Scarlett and Emily have full topknots and no crest; I blend them in a little bit but for the most part, the tk is left messy and natural
                  Shawn, can you take pics of the back of their head for me.....pleeeaaasssseeee??? I need to see where the stopping point is.....

Comment

Working...
                  X