I think I deserve a Mike's Thingy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I deserve a Mike's Thingy.

To start off with, I think I may have bronchitis. It's going around at my girlfriend's work, AND in our salon (we all have at least some sort of cough). Really wasn't feeling well this morning, but our salon manager is on vacation, and another groomer is in the hospital from a bad cat bite, so I knew there wasn't anyone to cover my shift.

Well, in I go, and I was expecting a very very light day (it's been dead around here 'cuz of Spring Break), maybe 3-4 dogs. There was a bather working with me, she's 6mo pregnant. She had about 4-5 dogs, and I had 6 scheduled. Not as light as I thought, but not horrid. I have been grooming since July of 2008, at this point 7 or 8 is pretty much my max unless they're all big (then it's less).

So anyway, the bather finishes her first dog, I wash my first dog, not too eventful.

But then it all went downhill.

#1: the bather was working on a very hyper lab, who decided to try to eat the HV drier, and THEN jumped up ON HER STOMACH. She immediately felt pressure and pain. She called her doctor who told her to go to the ER at least just to be monitored.

#2: She gave me all her remaining dogs.

#3: I had nobody to call who could come in, so here I was by myself (luckily i work in a corporate store, so there were at least managers available in case anyone gave me problems).

So long story short, I wound up doing 11 dogs in 9 hours. These consisted of: 2 golden retriver puppy cuts (one was an express groom so done start to finish), 2 labs (including the hyper guy), a labradoodle, a standard poodle miami cut, a pug, a long haired doxie, a yorkie poo hair cut, yorkshire terrier haircut and a papillion/LH chihuahua mix with light trimming all over.

Granted that may not seem like a lot since there were some bath dogs thrown in there, but i'm not used to doing so many, and I'm pooped. Made a decent dollar tho, and at least I know I can do more dogs per day than I thought.
    Anyone wanna give me a Mike's Thingy? Raspberry lemonade please

PS: The bather is fine. She was monitored and a little sore, but happily the baby's fine and so is she.

~Rachael

I totally know how you feel! When used to work at a corporate store (I've only been grooming since July of '08 too. *high five!*) I had a few issues with my manager. Well, as soon as I passed all my tests and got my groomer certification she scheduled me to work on a Sunday all by myself with out any other bathers or groomers. At the time I was only having 4 groom dogs scheduled for me but Sunday was our biggest day for walk in nail trims, walk in baths, the phone ringing, etc...and we were NOT allowed to turn away walk in nail trims and baths. Those four grooms ended up taking me almost ten hours (because they had scheduled me ALL large dogs) and because of all the times I had to stop and put the dog back in its kennel to help a walk in customer. To top it off I got reprimanded for going overtime! Bah.

I'm glad to hear your bather is doing alright! She definitely did the right thing heading off to the ER. I hope you have some easier days coming up this week.

Comment

I logged in specifically to hand deliver you 6 raspberry-lemonade Mike's thingies, and 3 bonus Pomegranate ones...as they have a delicious little twist unique to thems alone.

Job well done, glad the bather and baby are ok, and what the h are the other store employees doing that they can't pitch in...in a crisis?
      Corporate schmorporate...that's ridiculous..... Here...take the other 3 Pomegrante ones too. You deserve them, I'll buy more tomorrow.
      Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Enjoy the Mike's!

Originally posted by 4Sibes View Post
        I logged in specifically to hand deliver you 6 raspberry-lemonade Mike's thingies, and 3 bonus Pomegranate ones...as they have a delicious little twist unique to thems alone.

Job well done, glad the bather and baby are ok, and what the h are the other store employees doing that they can't pitch in...in a crisis?
        Corporate schmorporate...that's ridiculous..... Here...take the other 3 Pomegrante ones too. You deserve them, I'll buy more tomorrow.
        If it's like where I worked, only managers could help in the salon. The regular store employees were probably not salon safety certified. There are a lot of rules in a corp. store. Well done!

Comment

Originally posted by kated View Post
          If it's like where I worked, only managers could help in the salon. The regular store employees were probably not salon safety certified. There are a lot of rules in a corp. store. Well done!
          No doubt,...but that's still completely stupid. Talk about potential safety nightmare scenarios,...sheesh. That's not safe for man/woman nor beast.
          If ya don't have enough employees to cover the safety of the workers and guarentee the safety of the pets...ya close the salon for the day, period.
          Although I'm sure some shirt sitting in some glass windowed corp office did a cost analysis on closed salon vs potential vet bill/lawsuit, and came to the conclusion it was worth the risk.
          Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

I am amazed you couldn't get another bather in at least. That sounds like a horrendous day.

Comment

Typing on my phone at lunch so excuse typos

thanks for the thingys Sibes
              the managers did try to help with phones but don't know how to make appts on the computer so I had to do that while they stood next to my dogs.
              We're a bit shortstaffed and have only 1 bather tho we just hired another...my salon manager is on vacation, one groomer is in the hospital from a cat bite and the other groomer was working her part time job. So there really was nobody besides little ole me.

Today is going much better, I actually have time to eat lunch!
              I am proud of myself tho, usually I freak oytif I'm behind and I kept a coool focusednhead yesterday!

Comment

So true!

Originally posted by 4Sibes View Post
                No doubt,...but that's still completely stupid. Talk about potential safety nightmare scenarios,...sheesh. That's not safe for man/woman nor beast.
                If ya don't have enough employees to cover the safety of the workers and guarentee the safety of the pets...ya close the salon for the day, period.
                Although I'm sure some shirt sitting in some glass windowed corp office did a cost analysis on closed salon vs potential vet bill/lawsuit, and came to the conclusion it was worth the risk.
                I'm sure that is exactly what happened! I love how she was given a hard time for OT, when she probably made them a bundle, too!

Comment

LOL!!

God have I had days like that!!! Makes you realize why they make alcohol!!! I'm not a drinker at all but after a day like that a nice cold beer is wonderful!!! LOL!!!

Comment

Yikes!

What a crrrrazy day! I think I def would have freaked out.... glad the pregnant bather is OK, that must have been very scarey.

Comment

I feel your pain. I've only just got over the cough from Bronchitis. A doc told one of the receptionist that the virus is making the rounds. I missed two days but felt like I was dying the rest of the time.

I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.
                      "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Working...
                      X