Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Great August Grooming Drought!!!!!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Great August Grooming Drought!!!!!!

    Just a lil reminder....especially for any of you who may be in your first year of business and not familiar w/ the "trends".

    In alot of places...starting the second week of August or so, and running for 4 to 6 weeks...the phones stop ringing. Just like that.
    Only silence, the ticking of the clock on the wall (if you have the tickie type), and the splat of your tears on your bare grooming table..... wondering if things will ever pick up again. (Yes. They will.)
    Oh...and the ticka-ticka as you frantically type a thread titled "Help, Where have All The Doggies Gone"?

    As painful as it is...this is the time of year I start to sock a few extra bucks away in preparation of The Great August Grooming Drought, and try to get your clients to book THROUGH the Summer NOW!
    They may change dates around as last minute vacations get crammed in, or kids get delivered to college...but it'll make you feel better (as you cry into your store brand lemonade) knowing you did everything you could.
    Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

  • #2
    Wise words o head exploding one, back to school is a boo, and here we then have the fair..sigh.. then we get slammed for the holidays, then the cycle is complete.
    ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

    Comment


    • #3
      I live in a lakes area town that nearly triples in population in the summer. So I definitely do NOT have a "August Drought" haha. I will be socking my summer money away for a nice vaca over the winter

      Comment


      • #4
        Very wise words in deed. I think I will do just that. Thanks so much for the tip sibes.

        Comment


        • #5
          Ah...I look forward to August!

          I am closing shop for a few weeks in August and wondered how that would affect my business!
          I planned on giving all my clients lots of notice, but it sounds like I may have picked the perfect time of
          year for my road trip

          Thank you for the warning! it is always good to know what usually happens at different times of the year,
          especially for the first year. I know Jan and Feb were tough, but March is looking really good and I have bookings into April.
          I will start stashing some cash for the trip and the no dogs time of year.

          Comment


          • #6
            Here it is the first two weeks of school starting back up.

            Comment


            • #7
              Very true, Bernie. But I thought the same would happen in Jan-Feb. Not the case for me and the groomers in my area. I am still as slammed as I was during the holidays. I am really interested in seeing how August turns out......
              Mandy, Birdie, Evie, Willie and The Woo
              Check out my Blog at doggydivasdish.com

              Comment


              • #8
                August drought? Wow, not at my work, lol. July and August are our busiest months! The first week of September will slow down a little bit because of school starting but starts right back up again after that. Then it doesn't slow down again till January or so.
                Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

                Comment


                • #9
                  Bernie, that has GOT to be your cutest avatar EVER.
                  "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                  People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Smart-n-Pretty View Post
                    Bernie, that has GOT to be your cutest avatar EVER.
                    Why thank you Smarten. That is Sky's favorite "dressy" dress...the Easter one, and she much preferred the bonnet to the hairband w/ boingy pink bunnies on it. That avatar will follow in several days...you will see her face is not as happy. You can tell...just by looking at this one...she KNOWS she looks GOOD.

                    And (for some of you folks) the original reason I put this thread up...is I always feel really sad for the panic/worry I see when some of the new sole-operating (be it mobile or home-based, in-home, small shop employees, etc) groomers hit the quiet spell towards the end of August, and they start with the desperate threads. It's like falling off a cliff if you aren't familiar w/ it.

                    Last year...I read many responses advising them to advertise...but I felt these groomers were already operating on a shoestring...and spending their last $126.78 on advertising in the end of August/beginning Sept...is,... well...IMO, goofy. Best to be pro-active and create your own peace of mind. A couple hundred in the bank can achieve this. This applies to some shop owners as well...they hire employees, and I think it creates goodwill if (without taking a hit) you can sustain employment throughout the known dry spells.

                    I am assuming if you have been/are established, work for a corp, groom at a vet clinic, etc.,.... that you are not only familiar w/ the "cycles" (thank you odette), but that you have a reasonable expectation of how the end of Summer/beginning of school will effect your day to day income and you have a more sustainable source of clients than someone just starting out....?

                    so that was my reason for posting...wasn't trying to be bossy. Just the big sister in me coming out.
                    Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by 4Sibes View Post
                      Why thank you Smarten. That is Sky's favorite "dressy" dress...the Easter one, and she much preferred the bonnet to the hairband w/ boingy pink bunnies on it. That avatar will follow in several days...you will see her face is not as happy. You can tell...just by looking at this one...she KNOWS she looks GOOD.

                      And (for some of you folks) the original reason I put this thread up...is I always feel really sad for the panic/worry I see when some of the new sole-operating (be it mobile or home-based, in-home, small shop employees, etc) groomers hit the quiet spell towards the end of August, and they start with the desperate threads. It's like falling off a cliff if you aren't familiar w/ it.

                      Last year...I read many responses advising them to advertise...but I felt these groomers were already operating on a shoestring...and spending their last $126.78 on advertising in the end of August/beginning Sept...is,... well...IMO, goofy. Best to be pro-active and create your own peace of mind. A couple hundred in the bank can achieve this. This applies to some shop owners as well...they hire employees, and I think it creates goodwill if (without taking a hit) you can sustain employment throughout the known dry spells.

                      I am assuming if you have been/are established, work for a corp, groom at a vet clinic, etc.,.... that you are not only familiar w/ the "cycles" (thank you odette), but that you have a reasonable expectation of how the end of Summer/beginning of school will effect your day to day income and you have a more sustainable source of clients than someone just starting out....?

                      so that was my reason for posting...wasn't trying to be bossy. Just the big sister in me coming out.
                      You didn't seem bossy at all, it's nice to see people looking out for the newbies!

                      Thankfully I haven't experienced the August drought, but I wasn't thinking in reference to someone just starting a business, the place I have worked at has been open like 13 years, so I forgot that of course it would be different for my shop and someone only open a little while.

                      Good advice Bernie!!
                      Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Jadenlea View Post
                        Here it is the first two weeks of school starting back up.
                        Ditto.

                        Busy until Labor Day, then the phone stops ringing.

                        January, too, we fall off. But I hate going out in the cold weather so I am more than happy to take some time off.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X