My New Foster and Some Arbitrary Grooming Boloney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New Foster and Some Arbitrary Grooming Boloney

You're probably going to think I'm a brat... I picked up my new foster at the shelter. My friend called me on Saturday saying that the shelter had a sweet Wire Fox Terrier. He tested well with the other animals so I said I'd take him. My friend told the volunteer that was "grooming" him to STOP, I would be picking up Monday. He was matted but I could tell after a good bath and HV most of coat could be saved. I picked him up and whoever groomed him did in the most arbitrary fashion. His legs were shaved unevenly, his body-nothing. They shaved his fringe but left mats, sticks and other prickly things around his pee-pee and sanitary area. And here is the kicker. THEY SHAVED DOWN HIS MUZZLE! If anyone out there reading this does that to this type dog, stop. It looks ridiculous, serves absolutely no purpose and ruins that beautiful terrier profile. I know in the grand scheme of things, it isn't a big deal but as a professional it makes me cringe. Especially sense they knew a professional groomer was going to foster. I get that the person was a volunteer. Still irritating.

He's a laid back doll though and oh so neglected. His ears look and smell like cocker ears, green and all scarred up. I don't think he hears very well. Really bad skin.

I'll post pics later but just wanted to blow off some steam at the moment!
    That Tenacious Terrier!
    www.thattenaciousterrier.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ThatTenaciousTerrier

When I was volunteering at the humane society socializing dogs they had the vet techs that worked in the clincs shave the dogs and they always just shaved them in some wierd fashion nothing breed standard or any of that. Just seems to be the way of some shelters.

At least he has a good home now and you can bring his look back to normal.

Comment

well in a shelter practical outweighs cute haircut by far.he was most likly dunking his beard in the water and getting yucky.yucky doesnt find a home.its good you have him now and his hari will grow back good as new you can keep him from getting matted and he will wind up a cutie.

Comment

Originally posted by ferretlov View Post
        well in a shelter practical outweighs cute haircut by far.he was most likly dunking his beard in the water and getting yucky.yucky doesnt find a home.its good you have him now and his hari will grow back good as new you can keep him from getting matted and he will wind up a cutie.
        You are correct in that assessment to a degree, but sticks, mats and hairy sanitary areas do not make him adoptable either. Also, a bad groom that makes him look less like the breed he truly IS will also limit his adoptability. Same with selling puppies in stores or placing rescues. Dogs that are groomed WELL according to breed standard, adopt or sell more quickly that those that are done badly or in a way that makes them look "wrong".

IF shelters would work with groomers instead of seeing us as the enemy (our local shelter sees us that way) they would be doing a better job and a better SERVICE to the dogs and potential adopters.
        <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Do you suppose whoever groomed him is a newbie, or a student? Just saying, that's how I got a lot of my start

Still, leaving mats and a hairy sani is a definite way to make sure the dog stays in the shelter for a while. Even in my early days I knew those were no-nos!

Parti, that really sucks. Here's how our dog director introduces me to people: "This is J.C., and I love her, 'cause she makes all the bad hair go away!" If having a groomer makes the dogs cleaner, happier, and therefore more adoptable, why not? Too bad you weren't closer to us, we could always use some extra help

Comment

There is nothing practical about this haircut. It's a mess. His beard is still there. It's the hair on top of his nose that's gone.

Ugly, botched haircuts don't get dogs homes either. A full shave down would have looked better, at least he'd look like a smooth Fox Terrier.
            That Tenacious Terrier!

Comment

The dreaded shaved nose.
              Attached Files
              That Tenacious Terrier!

Comment

Originally posted by Canopener Sally View Post
                There is nothing practical about this haircut. It's a mess. His beard is still there. It's the hair on top of his nose that's gone.

Ugly, botched haircuts don't get dogs homes either. A full shave down would have looked better, at least he'd look like a smooth Fox Terrier.
                hmm thats weird .cant understand JUST the top being done I can only imagine something in it? anyhow hopefully hell grow back quick for ya. are ya gonna keep him?

Comment

hmm thats weird .cant understand JUST the top being done I can only imagine something in it? anyhow hopefully hell grow back quick for ya. are ya gonna keep him?
                  They probably didn't do the top because my pal said to stop, I'd groom him. But really who starts with the legs? I don't. I start at the neck and work my way down, generally. I'm glad they didn't do his body. I'll be stripping him, the coat is ready.

We'll see how he does with my cats. He passed the test at the shelter. He's just settling in now, snoozing away in his kennel. He looks happy as a clam. I do need a dog for Knoxville though...
                  That Tenacious Terrier!

Comment

I can't view the pic on my computer, but is it possible that maybe he had something stuck on the hair there? Gum or sap or something??

Comment

I've been systematically unshaving the noses of all our terriers. Just my little contribution!

Comment

Ok, I think we as groomers need to unite to defeat the horror that is grooming a wire fox as a schnauzer! I am so sick of seeing this on the wires, airedales, welshes, even SCWT! I definitely understand ignorance to a degree and I'm the first to admit I'm not perfect and have a lot to learn, but if you have an appt with a breed that you are unfamiliar with, research it! There are multitudes of resources out there-even on short notice-to help you with things you need to brush up on. Utilize them!
                        There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

Was the volunteer a groomer or just a regular shmo? It's quite possible that its just personal taste, although I agree that a shaved nose is ugly. My MIL doesnt like hair over the nose on dogs(just a pet owner) because she feels it gets in their eyes. Some people do things in different order regardless of what makes sense or not, and you already mentioned that the your friend told the volunteer to stop what they were doing, then that would make sense as to why the sanitary was not done. Most importantly is that a person is voulunteering their time to try and help the shelter dogs get adopted so why nit pick. It is difficult to get out of groomer mode and not nit pick cuts, but potential pet owners will be happy if the pet is at least clean and that the groom is somewhat obvious as to the breed it is. Even an improperly groomed dog will not likely be overlooked by your normal rescue family. I doubt most people are expecting show grooms out of the shelter, and many do not know the difference until they see it. Look at all the bad grooms one sees... and fix... as proof. I wouldnt sweat the poor cut or I would at least try not to.

Comment

I think it goes to show...

that a lot of groomers are just not educated! There is a groomer here that boasts "show groomer experience" but recently put a bouv in a ****** giant schnauzer clip with a poodle "pompom" tail. They are also known to not blend skirts and fringe and leave that unsightly "waterline" and one of my new clients calls it. Drives me nuts!!! I have had to come to the realization that of the 18 groomers in my area alone, there are only 3 that have any kind of training at all. Self taught groomers are fine because the term "taught" leads me to believe there is some kind of research and learning. But a lot of groomers here simply look at a pic of a dog and try to copy it. I could get mad, but I see it as job security, I guess!

Comment

Yeah, it was just a random rescue volunteer at the shelter. Not a groomer.

And Fantastic Mr. Fox is now with his new family in Delaware.
                              That Tenacious Terrier!

Comment

Working...
                              X