Certifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certifications

Hi. I am trying to find information on mobile pet grooming. I want to find a groomer in the yellow pages and I want to know what to ask as far as certifications. Is there a standard that a company should be approved by? Like a state or national board of groomers, or a sterile environment certificate? Thanks for the help.

There are no required certifications/licensing for groomers. But there are certifications that many groomers voluntarily take written and practical testing to achieve. The three organizations that oversee these certifications are the National Dog Groomers' Association of America (NDGAA), International Professional Groomers (IPG), and International Society of Canine Cosmetologists (ISCC). Groomers certified by any of these organizations have demonstrated knowledge and skills above their competition. Also ask if your groomer attends professional seminars and/or dog shows to keep up with the latest, best tools and breed standards/profiles.

Comment

Just call a few and which ever one you fell most comfortable with, pick. I know of many groomers that have all the paperwork but would never let them groom for me. A piece of paper doesn't mean you're a good groomer, clean, or responsible.

Comment

Originally posted by k9stylist1968 View Post
        Groomers certified by any of these organizations have demonstrated knowledge and skills above their competition.
        Oooh, I wouldn't say that. I've known quite a few groomers who aren't certified, and I'd hold their knowledge and skills up to anyone in the industry.

I'm not certified, either. But I'm a damned good groomer, and I have a great deal of knowledge.

Comment

Referrals are always a good place to start. Ask your friends and area vets (your own and others). Then simply call and interview the groomers. Ask them about their education and experience. Lots of groomers have a photo album of their work that you can take a look at. It is like picking any other kind of professional. If you don't feel comfortable for any reason they probably aren't the groomer for you.
          SheilaB from SC

Comment

My concerns came from once MANY years ago taking my cat to a shop and a few days later she had a skin infection. Thanks for all the info, Im sure it will help.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
              Oooh, I wouldn't say that. I've known quite a few groomers who aren't certified, and I'd hold their knowledge and skills up to anyone in the industry.

I'm not certified, either. But I'm a damned good groomer, and I have a great deal of knowledge.
              Unfortunately, Helly, most of us don't have brains that work like yours! LOL, I could only wish!

I do think that it is a nice touch when groomers voluntarily take seminar/courses etc. to build their knowledge and skills. It at least shows effort. I do agree, though, that certification doesn't always mean "Better," as I have seen photos of dogs groomed by a CMG, and they were no better than mine, and some were worse, in my opinion.

Tammy in Utah
              Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
                Unfortunately, Helly, most of us don't have brains that work like yours! LOL, I could only wish!

Tammy in Utah
                Honestly, you wouldn't want a brain that works like mine. There are things going on in there that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Comment

Originally posted by misskris10 View Post
                  My concerns came from once MANY years ago taking my cat to a shop and a few days later she had a skin infection. Thanks for all the info, Im sure it will help.
                  Are you sure the groomer caused the infection or could she have simply revealed and irritated an existing one? Years ago I clipped down (at owners request) a Golden Retriever. The owner called me back the next day screaming that I gave her dog a highly contagious infection. I spoke w/the vet and he assured me that I did NOTHING to cause a skin infection that clipping the dog down simply aggrivated the already existing skin infection and brought it to attention. If the dog hadn't have been clipped it's condition could have gotten much worse before it was discovered.
                  SheilaB from SC

Comment

hello, I am new to the website, I am not certified by any of the organizations, and have had mixed comments about whether or not I should be. I am in the process of starting my own mobile pet grooming business and am a little nervous. I want to be the best I can possible be. any suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                    X