Groomer on "From Underdog To Wonderdog"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groomer on "From Underdog To Wonderdog"

Just happened to be watching "From Underdog to Wonderdog" the other night on Animal Planet - they were rehoming a Min Pin ... I was SHOCKED to see the groomer on the show using a nylon SLIP LEAD as a grooming loop on her table! she used it on this dog as well as several shelter makeover dogs too! where is the common sense? How can she not know this is wrong, and how could no one else have caught this?

I'm going to write a letter ....

dogchic,

there are pics up on the rags to riches entries showing slip leads being used as "loops" so I guess there are groomers out there that feel it's an acceptable practice. I do feel that those shows should have sense enough to screen participants to make sure they adhere to safe grooming practices and ethics, but that's JMHO

Comment

I've only seen the show once. It was a cocker spaniel and it got a slightly bizarre haircut.

I've worked in places that used a slip lead as a loop. It's not the best thing to use but my co-workers always tied them in a quick release knot.
      That Tenacious Terrier!
      www.thattenaciousterrier.com
      https://www.facebook.com/ThatTenaciousTerrier

Comment

She needs one of these:

http://www.canisgear.com/servlet/the...release/Detail

I use nylon slip leads, my GH, and others, depending on the situation. There are methods to make them safe.
        Bulldogs are adorable, with faces like toads that have been sat on.

Comment

Heck, they make grooming loops that work just like slip knots so I can understand why some groomers don't see anything wrong with it. I have used them myself with a quick release.
          What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Yeah, I gotta say I dont get why there is an issue here. I mean, they are available, used by MANY grooming competitors and handlers as well as groomers. Sometimes it gives you more control and unless left unattended, it is perfectly safe. What about the use did you not find safe?
            <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

One of our grooming tables has a stationary grooming arm (can't adjust the height) so the only option for varying dog sizes is a slip lead. The smaller dogs the typical noose won't reach!

Comment

I groom a number of dogs that know how to flip out of a regular grooming loop. I use a flat nylon slip lead for safety on those dogs.
                Deidre

Comment

Before I got my GH loops, I only used kennel leads tied with a slip knot. Any dog that I knew would jump like a jackrabbit got sashed. I still don't fully trust the loops that don't have a secure clasp like the GH ones do; we use those at the shop, and I've had several dogs back out of them. Just not enough security for me, IMHO.

Heck, I still need to use kennel leads when I put smaller dogs in the tub at the shelter. Our tub is big enough to comfortably accommodate a Great Dane. Since the only eyehooks are up so dang high, there's no other way to safely keep those cute little buggers from jumping right out. I never leave them unattended and put them right back in the loop when they're on the table.

Comment

geesh - I guess I am in the minority here - I see that as a big no no.

Comment

I went to a seminar where the groomer used a slip kennel lead and would use a slip knot on the arm end for quick release. she wasn't a fan of the groomer's helper and said she felt this type of lead gave her more flexibility she could tie it up in different lengths depending on what the dog needed or just tie it loosely to the lower part of the arm for some control. When used with supervision they should be fine. I was taught to use these types of leads but do use the GH now.
                      "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt,
                      and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck
                      www.wagmoresalon.com

Comment

Originally posted by DogChic View Post
                        but WHY? I would just like to understand why you feel its wrong since so many of us do it.
                        <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DogChic View Post
                          Guess I am too, lol.

As I see it, there is a wealth of equipment and supplies available to us and feel as professionals, we should use the appropriate tools for the job. Granted, there are ways to use alternative solutions safely, but why should we have to fudge on something, when there is a tool made for every situation? Slip leads are made for LEADING a dog, not to secure it on a table in a makeshift fashion. Safe or not, it really doesn't come off as professional IMO and what IF (the big IF) some thing did happen and how would you explain it in the worst case scenario? (to a judge) Grooming loops are not that expensive and come in different lengths, so how could you explain to a judge that you didn't have the appropriate tool.

It all just seems like walking a tight rope in hopes that we don't fall. If we expect to be treated as professionals, we should portray ourselves as such. This is JMHO and the way I hope to run my business. I'm not rich and can't always afford the best or most, but I do want to have what is reliable, dependable, and professional.

Comment

I will use one on occasion when I dont have a regular loop available and I do use them on my competition dogs too. I dont see anything wrong with it really, but to each his own.
                            What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

I have grooming loops of all lengths, but I use kennel leads, never around the neck, under a front leg, I feel noosing a dog by the neck is wrong, just a different approach to securing a dog. 22 years later and knock on wood I have never 'hung' a dog, I have seen others do it with nooses.jmo
                              ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Working...
                              X