People hair cuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People hair cuts

Yesterday, after grooming a shih tzu mix the owner was very happy with the groom, and she asked me how much I charge for a people hair cut. And after thinking about it my response was three times as much as a dog haircut and an extra 15 if you want small talk. She thought that was pretty funny but it got me thinking about whether I could be a hair stylist. I know lots of groomers here were people groomers first and then became dog groomers but I wonder if any dog groomers every become hair stylists?
    I could never style peoples hair. Skin problems on dogs doesn't bother me but dandruff on people?!? GROSS! And I can't even think about lice...

I do hair on my two nephews, but that is the extent of my people grooming skills. Clippers only as neither one can be trusted enough yet for me to actually use scissors. Crazy, but I trust the dogs to stand still way more than I trust those boys to sit still.

The older one is 6 now and is starting to be able to handle it to the point he'll actually talk through the process now. 6 months ago when his mom gave up on the professional salon, she purchased a home haircut kit. I was over when she decided the boys had to have haircuts and I offered. I don't think she really realized before that moment that I actually cut dog hair since I have mostly been training dogs since I moved local.

My youngest nephew is now 3 1/2 and boy is it a production. He got thrown out of a professional kids salon as "uncuttable." The first time I cut his hair, his dad (my brother) had to hog tie him and I ended up almost upside down trying to cut his hair. The second time we belted him to a chair and held him down. He's finally sitting on his own, but still screaming the entire time, though he wasn't as loud this last time. Poor kid is just ticked off about the whole process. However, he hates being held more than he hates his hair cut, so at least we are making process since he'd much rather sit on his own than be held down. I think the saving grace is that he knows I will not just give up (it's the dog trainer in me) and will wait him out, so he has complete control over how long the haircut takes. He's figuring out the better he behaves the faster the cut and the last time he was out of the chair in 5 minutes. I bet I could do it in 3 if he cooperates...maybe with a few more haircuts.

I was joking with my sister-in-law the other day when she was just so embarrassed. I told her one way or another it will get better. He'll either figure it out, or someday it will be his wife's problem! She laughed and maintains hope he'll figure out the haircut thing long before he gets married.

One of these days I am going to spring for a quality set of clippers and guard combs.

I don't charge near enough as I normally just get dinner out of the whole production. I will say that no one could pay me enough to do kid's hair for a living.

Comment

I actually almost went to cosmetology school, but then decided to do grooming school instead. In college I use to cut all my girl friend's and guy friend's hair. I still cut my friend's hair if they ask. I think it's fun. My fiance always comes in the groom shop when he needs a haircut. I think I would like being a cosmetologist, but I would rather deal with biting dogs than snobby people all day. I also think that dog groomers have better hours, and can make more money.

Comment

Originally posted by SwissNChow View Post
        My youngest nephew is now 3 1/2 and boy is it a production. He got thrown out of a professional kids salon as "uncuttable." The first time I cut his hair, his dad (my brother) had to hog tie him and I ended up almost upside down trying to cut his hair. The second time we belted him to a chair and held him down. He's finally sitting on his own, but still screaming the entire time, though he wasn't as loud this last time. Poor kid is just ticked off about the whole process. However, he hates being held more than he hates his hair cut, so at least we are making process since he'd much rather sit on his own than be held down. I think the saving grace is that he knows I will not just give up (it's the dog trainer in me) and will wait him out, so he has complete control over how long the haircut takes.
        Groomer's Helper?

(Kidding!)

I always tell my husband that I have some clients that stand better than he does. Heehee. I also have cut the hair of every guy I've ever worked with...but the whole idea is different with people hair, and waaaaaaaaaay more precise it feels. Maybe I just get nervous doing it because it's a different medium than I'm used to? But I've had friends ask for haircuts, and I tell them I'd like to stay their friend so no thanks. I'll stick with dogs.
        There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

So I guess the groomers' helper won't work on your nephew then......

I wonder if you could get him to pretend he is a dog and let you groom him. LOL

Comment

LOL I've done my husband's hair for 30 years! He just gets a buzz cut - he's a cop. Easy. Can't even think of the money I've saved over the years.

Comment

I have cut some "people" hair

Brother, husband, old boyfriend's, sister, girlfriend - it makes me nervous so I go slow and ASK before I cut anything, lol.

Oh, yeah, I cut mine sometimes, too, but it's harder since I can't see it all and move around my own head!!!

Comment

Whip out

my clipper vac and buzz my hubbys head every couple of weeks he loves it !!!! Dawn

Comment

Yes groomers can become hair stylist for humans However you must become licensed to charge for that service,Unlike dog grooming human services are very strict when it comes to the practicing you Must obtain state certification through an accredited state licensed cosmetology school

Comment

I always joke that i can do a mean poodle top knot if they want I gave my best friend a mohawk a while ago and I can do a military high and tight. Thats about the extent of my people skills

Comment

people cuts

tell them as I do I don't do 2 legged

Comment

I do my family.. DH and one son get buzzed, 4 other sons I use scissors and my daughters I just neaten up..

I have gotten pretty good with them, but I could never do "people" hair..I dont really enjoy it for one and like flemish said.. it would gross me out.. go figure

Comment

Very funny the way groomers handle people haircuts

Dear Groomers,

When my wife trims my hair she hold my beard like I am a shih tzu. Turns my head when she is ready with just a tug on my beard.

Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
                            Dear Groomers,

When my wife trims my hair she hold my beard like I am a shih tzu. Turns my head when she is ready with just a tug on my beard.

Chuck
                            my family has the same "complaint" LOL

Comment

Originally posted by TheyCallMeMom View Post
                              my family has the same "complaint" LOL
                              So does mine.
                              "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                              People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Working...
                              X