Parti-Poodles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parti-Poodles

I just read thru the posts on colors, parti's and phantoms but I didn't see anything about brindls... what can you tell me about these? I have seen some lovely St.P's that are brindl partis, sort of blue/fawn brindl. where does the brindl come from?

thanks,
    sittingpretty

Originally posted by sittingpretty View Post

where does the brindl come from?
    Who's yer Daddy?

Comment

Brindle (striped) dogs, note there is an e on the end of brindle; is a dominant gene; one parent has to be brindle; or it can be masked by the sable gene. On a black/tan dog the brindle will show in the tan part of the pattern.
      Deidre

Comment

The brindle comes from another brindle. Sometimes it can be hidden; you can't see brindling on a black coat, for example, but in general, either one or both of the parents is a brindle if the puppy is brindle.

Remember, brindle isn't a color. It's a pattern. And that pattern can happen on any coat color. Like I said above, if the coat is black, you won't see it. White won't show brindling either. But genetically, the brindle gene is present, it's just on a color that won't show it, or in the case of white, it's being supressed, along with all the other colors the dog might carry.

Comment

Originally posted by edderland View Post
          Brindle (striped) dogs, note there is an e on the end of brindle; is a dominant gene; one parent has to be brindle; or it can be masked by the sable gene. On a black/tan dog the brindle will show in the tan part of the pattern.
          Deidre
          It's also been shown that red or fawn with a black or smut mask can cover the brindle gene, and it pops out later, on progeny born without the mask.
          Last edited by Helly; 03-24-10, 09:39 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Helly, thanks for all of this info. It was so surprising to see these dogs! Like everything else (dog-wise), where there is a will, there is a way. In this case there is a breeder. Has anyone else seen any brindle parti's?

sittingpretty

Comment

I don't know where the brindle comes from, but my friend has a blue brindle toy bitch that is a top producer. She only produces white as long as she is bred to a white dog.

Comment

Working...
              X